The Student Room Group

Consequences of dodging train fares (a second time) - Northern Rail

Hi. Recently I was asked to give my details in for trying to purchase a cheaper ticket. But this has already happened to me last year. I paid the fine and everything was settled. I'm worried because this has happened to me again that i will get a criminal record r even be sent to prison. How likely is this to happen? Has anyone else been caught a second time?
Thank you.
I get the impression that train companies tend to prosecute those who are persistent offenders or those who don't pay the penalty fine. So just pay the fine on time and try not to do it again.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
I get the impression that train companies tend to prosecute those who are persistent offenders or those who don't pay the penalty fine. So just pay the fine on time and try not to do it again.

Thanks for the reply. So you think maybe if it's only happened two times they won't take it to court? I'm just really scared about having a criminal record. I'll definitely pay whatever fine I'm given.
Original post by josiepage
Thanks for the reply. So you think maybe if it's only happened two times they won't take it to court? I'm just really scared about having a criminal record. I'll definitely pay whatever fine I'm given.

I think (and I'm not expert) that they'll only try for a criminal conviction for the really serious offenders. It takes time/money to do that, not worth it for a couple of times.

Northern Rail is operated by Nexus, the same company that operate the Tyne/Wear Metro. If you do not have a valid ticket, they issue a penalty. Fail to pay it on time and they will haul you before a court, but you'll normally only get a fine. So just pay the penalty and don't worry about it unless you hear from them again.
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
I think (and I'm not expert) that they'll only try for a criminal conviction for the really serious offenders. It takes time/money to do that, not worth it for a couple of times.

Northern Rail is operated by Nexus, the same company that operate the Tyne/Wear Metro. If you do not have a valid ticket, they issue a penalty. Fail to pay it on time and they will haul you before a court, but you'll normally only get a fine. So just pay the penalty and don't worry about it unless you hear from them again.

Ok thank you, you've made me feel a little less anxious about it. This time was not actually an attempt to 'dodge' a ticket (as i had already learned from past mistakes) it was actually a complete misunderstanding but they still refused to listen and asked for my details. The thing is I panicked and got really scared (because its already happened to me once), and i gave false details before giving in and admitting i lied. This was in a complete moment of panic. I just worry because i did that it will mean i've made it worse for myself? I will obviously explain the misunderstanding and how i panicked when i reply to their letter, I only hope they understand.
Reply 5
Original post by josiepage
Ok thank you, you've made me feel a little less anxious about it. This time was not actually an attempt to 'dodge' a ticket (as i had already learned from past mistakes) it was actually a complete misunderstanding but they still refused to listen and asked for my details. The thing is I panicked and got really scared (because its already happened to me once), and i gave false details before giving in and admitting i lied. This was in a complete moment of panic. I just worry because i did that it will mean i've made it worse for myself? I will obviously explain the misunderstanding and how i panicked when i reply to their letter, I only hope they understand.

I've been freaking out about this all day but I need some ease of mind because I'm going to go crazy otherwise.
I bought a child ticket instead of adult ticket and I got caught for the first time. I lied about my age (saying I was 15 instead of 18) and I completely panicked. She obviously knew I was lying and made me right down my details. I'm just scared that I'm going to get prosecuted for this and get a criminal record because i really can't afford paying court fines and neither can my parents. I also got caught on the way back by the same lady but she didn't take my details that time idk if that's a good thing or not as I had told her that I didn't have to time to change the ticket or I would I have missed the train. I feel so stupid, why did I do any of that?
I'll happily pay a £20 fine if that is all that there is to it. Will I have to provide my details again and will I have to show proof of ID if I do get the fine? Also how long does it take for the letter to come to you in the post?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending