The Student Room Group

Psychology degree, but no idea what to do now, help needed

Hi everyone!

I graduated in July with a 2:1 in Psychology, but I am feeling a bit stuck career-wise and am not entirely sure what to do as from now.

I would really like to work with people with anxiety disorders/therapy/counselling, that sort of career path, but I know those jobs normally require further education e.g. Masters, postgraduate study which I cannot do for the time-being because I desperately need a job with some sort of income. I also know that volunteering in mental health settings are almost a requirement, so I'm unsure whether I should work ANY job for the time-being just to get some money, or seek something more relevant (these occupations are VERY few and far between though).

I should also add I've got some limited work experience under my belt :frown: I've volunteered in two charity shops, worked as a Student Ambassador for my university and also got a Mental Health First Aid certificate, but I definitely don't have the work experience most people have.

I'm unsure whether to find a mundane job that pays and try and seek voluntary work alongside it to boost my chances, or try and get something better. Assistant psychologist I'm interested in but they are so hard to come by :frown:

I know I sound like I have a bit of a defeatist attitude but I feel a bit lost at the moment on what to do. I think this is quite normal for people who have just graduated though!

Thanks everyone :smile:
I know that carer jobs are always going and so you could see what it is like being surrounded by old people and the state of their health and mind's and their views on life. This might be a really useful for a perspective in helping younger people with issues needed in counselling.

You could a masters degree in 2016 as the government will be backing postgraduate loans then.

Probably the best thing to do is relax and not get worked up about doing something with your degree so quickly but go work at McDonalds and save up 5k and maybe with some of your friends you could do a round the world trip with STA travel from January 2016 to July 2016, then do a masters from September.

Personally, I've thought speech and language therapy was fascinating particular after watching the film 'The King's Speech' so possible postgraduate study at somewhere like UCL.
it isn't too difficult to get a bottom of the ladder relevant job, look for things like teaching assistant/learning support assistant, support worker, HCA etc - experience doesn't have to be with people with mental health difficulties, any vulnerable group counts so disabilities, homeless, substance abuse, immigrants/asylum seekers, women's refuge/abuse victims, mentoring teens etc etc... also think about research roles to expand that aspect of your CV

you're unlikely to be earning big money quickly if you want to progress with something like clinical psych, counselling psych, IAPT etc but it shouldn't be too hard to find that first post - it's moving on from there to the more desirable jobs like ass. psych that's the tough bit!
Reply 3
Thank you both :smile:

Do you recommend I try and search for paid mental health/support worker roles (which are quite few and far between and most require previous experience :frown: ) or should I get a part-time job and do some voluntary work alongside it? Because I think they are likely to be my two options :smile:

The only problem is money and because I'm on Jobseeker's Allowance I don't think I'll be any better off financially if I have just a part-time job :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending