The Student Room Group

Can external students (new science A Levels) skip the practical endorsement?

Would the written exams be enough for A Level completion and University applications?
I've been told different things, including:

"The practical endorsement is essential for Science A-Levels.15% of the marks for all A-level Science courses will require the assessment of practical skills."
"To get the A Level certificate you won't have to take the Practical Endorsement; it will be an optional extra for students who want to take them."

I don't know what to think, If somebody could give me some advice, I would be very grateful.

Thanks a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,
Same here. :smile: I'm here to find out more about CIE board sciences.
Reply 2
Original post by darkdevon
Hi,
Same here. :smile: I'm here to find out more about CIE board sciences.

CIE specifications are not affected by the forthcoming A level changes. CIE's advice for private candidates is here: http://www.cie.org.uk/cambridge-for/learners-and-parents/exams-and-certificates/private-candidates/
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
CIE specifications are not affected by the forthcoming A level changes. CIE's advice for private candidates is here: http://www.cie.org.uk/cambridge-for/learners-and-parents/exams-and-certificates/private-candidates/

Would taking CIE Science A Levels be easier?

Thanks again
Reply 4
Original post by Venusian
Would taking CIE Science A Levels be easier?

I've never had anything to do with CIE A levels but not nearly as many centres in the UK are registered with CIE so it may be harder to find centre to accept you.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
I've never had anything to do with CIE A levels but not nearly as many centres in the UK are registered with CIE so it may be harder to find centre to accept you.

Thanks for your reply.
Do CIE only offer international A Levels, or do they offer A Levels with a syllabus similar to the old structure?

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Venusian
Thanks for your reply.
Do CIE only offer international A Levels, or do they offer A Levels with a syllabus similar to the old structure?

Thanks again :smile:

International A levels. CIE stands for Cambridge International Examinations; they are the International branch of Cambridge Assessment (and OCR are the domestic branch). They tailor their qualifications to the international demand and are not bound by government rules on A levels (hence they are not changing their A levels when everyone else is changing).
Reply 7
The situation is a bit unclear - the exam boards I have spoken to to say
- either " we haven't thought about private candidates" - which is hardly helpful!

-or - one has said, yes, you could BUT - the exam centre has to say that they have given you "opportunity to complete all the practicals" ( which actually won't be true) and then say " that you have failed to show competency" which is why they haven't given you the completed endorsement - which hardly looks good for a uni application.

So the only sensible route is -- to do the practicals via a private centre (may be pricey) or a local school/college if there is one. CIE sciences have AS practicals, (although not at A2) so that may not be much help.
Original post by Compost
International A levels. CIE stands for Cambridge International Examinations; they are the International branch of Cambridge Assessment (and OCR are the domestic branch). They tailor their qualifications to the international demand and are not bound by government rules on A levels (hence they are not changing their A levels when everyone else is changing).

Can anyone take the CIE exams? I was born and raised in England though :/ I just don't want to do any practicals from the old specification.
Reply 9
Original post by Cherry82
Can anyone take the CIE exams? I was born and raised in England though :/ I just don't want to do any practicals from the old specification.

Anyone can take them, the difficulty may be finding somewhere in the Uk to take them.
Original post by Compost
Anyone can take them, the difficulty may be finding somewhere in the Uk to take them.

Really? I'm so confused. So how come most places I have asked in the past said it is only available to international students? Mind me asking, what's the difference between the normal A levels and the CIE A levels. I've seen threads of people explaining that the CIE A level exams are harder but I'm sure it's more than that. Would you mind explaining this to me lol
Really? I'm so confused. So how come most places I have asked in the past said it is only available to international students? Mind me asking, what's the difference between the normal A levels and the CIE A levels. I've seen threads of people explaining that the CIE A level exams are harder but I'm sure it's more than that. Would you mind explaining this to me lol

Tens of thousands of English students took CIE IGCSE English Language last summer. For A level, I've only ever entered people for subjects you can't do as a domestic A level (e.g. Afrikaans) but they worked fine from England. That's about all I know that might be helpful.
Original post by Compost
Tens of thousands of English students took CIE IGCSE English Language last summer. For A level, I've only ever entered people for subjects you can't do as a domestic A level (e.g. Afrikaans) but they worked fine from England. That's about all I know that might be helpful.

Oh ok. I heard that exams began in November for CIE exams like in Physics. If so I don't think I can even prepare in a month for the set of exams.
Oh ok. I heard that exams began in November for CIE exams like in Physics. If so I don't think I can even prepare in a month for the set of exams.

CIE has exams twice a year: Oct/Nov (for which the entry deadline was 21 September) and the Summer (entry deadline 21 February).
Original post by Compost
CIE has exams twice a year: Oct/Nov (for which the entry deadline was 21 September) and the Summer (entry deadline 21 February).

I see. So they will have exams again in May/June? It would have been great to do my AS exams in Oct/November but oh well. I think I will call OCR and speak to them about this to see if it's definitely possible.
I see. So they will have exams again in May/June? It would have been great to do my AS exams in Oct/November but oh well. I think I will call OCR and speak to them about this to see if it's definitely possible.

Don't call OCR, call CIE.

It will be much easier to find a centre to accept you in the summer - the Autumn series is mainly aimed at the parts of the world where the school year ends in December so not many UK centres use it. (We only use it for those subjects that are only available in the Autumn (e.g. Hindi and Afrikaans)).

Quick Reply

Latest