The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to a non russell group uni?

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely. Bath is one of the top universities in the country for Psychology (2nd in league tables behind Cambridge with excellent graduate success rates) and isn't Russell Group. It isn't the be all and end all. It's more important that a uni is good for your course than whether they are RG or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millie1986
Absolutely. Bath is one of the top universities in the country for Psychology (2nd in league tables behind Cambridge with excellent graduate success rates) and isn't Russell Group. It isn't the be all and end all. It's more important that a uni is good for your course than whether they are RG or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath is very good for Pharmacy not so sure about psycology
Does anybody know why Queen Mary, despite being a good uni, is so low in the rankings for Psychology?
RG literally means nothing in the real world. It's sad, but the majority of people obsessed with them are under 20 and have no significant real world experience. That may be why they can't see the reality.
Original post by lavoisier
Does anybody know why Queen Mary, despite being a good uni, is so low in the rankings for Psychology?

Because it's not a very good uni.
I agree it is not the best uni, but for Psychology it ranks around 50, while for other departments it usually ranks much higher.
Original post by lavoisier
I agree it is not the best uni, but for Psychology it ranks around 50, while for other departments it usually ranks much higher.

Maybee the admin staff at psycology ****ed up the survey. This happend at my uni, they sent all the graduates the survey to the uni email addresses and not there personal addresses, because it was the autumn after graduation no one checked the inbox and the department came bottom.
Different universities are just better for different subjects - it's just the way it works. RG is largely irrelevant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proudhipster
What are good non Russell Groups?

Bath, st andrews, loughborough UEA
It may interest you to know that the Russell Group is not the be all and end all of job prospects and prestige. It consists of a number of "research intensive" universities. Whilst such a category may be an indicator of general prestige, there are plenty of fantastic universities outside the Russell Group which are held in equal regard. St Andrews, Lancaster, Leicester, Bath, UEA, City, Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Reading, Loughborough, Aston, Royal Holloway, Essex, Herriot-Watt, Swansea, Keele.
Reply 30
Original post by earthworm
Because league tables meen s0d all. They are an exersise in arranging questionaires about how great the uni is..I go off REF scores.. In psycology Lancaster (36th) only beat 1 russel group uni (belfast) highest placed non russel group was holloway (4th)

Learn how to spell for God sake, honestly sick of this RG masturbation like seriously? if tables are so flawed what makes a university prestigious??? (Please do not try to justify the RG as the only yardstick to measure prestige) the last time i checked how research driven a university is does not impact undergraduates very much (generically speaking) but you are the sort of snob that symbolises TSR to the real world... far too stupid to get in Oxbridge and still holds a superiority complex, its a shame that your spelling fails to match that ego of yours.

Oh by the way im going to UEA which was part of the 1994 group (Lancaster is too), which represents universities that are strong in their research, just not as research driven as the Russell group (LOL you spell Russell "Russel":wink:) so go try and berate my university, what do you have to say, that it is a new uni (1960's?) because Warwick is a new university too if you take that logic as is York,Bath etc etc. Just re-evaluate yourself and how you present yourself. (universities like Lancaster want AAB+ just like your beloved leeds:smile:, and not all employers masturbate over the Russell group like you so won't see much of a difference)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joepoa
Learn how to spell for God sake, honestly sick of this RG masturbation like seriously? if tables are so flawed what makes a university prestigious??? (Please do not try to justify the RG as the only yardstick to measure prestige) the last time i checked how research driven a university is does not impact undergraduates very much (generically speaking) but you are the sort of snob that symbolises TSR to the real world... far too stupid to get in Oxbridge and still holds a superiority complex, its a shame that your spelling fails to match that ego of yours.

Oh by the way im going to UEA which was part of the 1994 group (Lancaster is too), which represents universities that are strong in their research, just not as research driven as the Russell group (LOL you spell Russell "Russel":wink: so go try and berate my university, what do you have to say, that it is a new uni (1960's?) because Warwick is a new university too if you take that logic. Just re-evaluate yourself and how you present yourself. (universities like Lancaster want AAB+ and not all employers masturbate over the Russell group like you so won't see much of a difference)

If you had botherd to read my earler posts through my (diagnosed) dyslexia you would have seen that I agree that there are good non russel group unis. learn to read before telling me to learn to write.
Reply 32
If you had botherd to read my earler posts through my (diagnosed) dyslexia you would have seen that I agree that there are good non russel group unis. learn to read before telling me to learn to write.

You still don't get my point, i am questioning why you feel Lancaster is bad non Russell group university. And to my original post, I quelled any possible reasoning or defense you may hold towards your statements (eg Lancaster being a bad university = you might reason this by arguing that it is a new university - before i would mention the ages of other universities)

I don't study at Lancaster but i find it unjust to call it a bad non RG university, For example for Law it has a strong reputation to provide Barrister's to non London chambers.
Original post by Joepoa
You still don't get my point, i am questioning why you feel Lancaster is bad non Russell group university. And to my original post, I quelled any possible reasoning or defense you may hold towards your statements (eg Lancaster being a bad university = you might reason this by arguing that it is a new university - before i would mention the ages of other universities)

I don't study at Lancaster but i find it unjust to call it a bad non RG university, For example for Law it has a strong reputation to provide Barrister's to NON LONDON chambers.

QED,
Seriously though (proberbly because im a PhD) I see the research of a university as its "beating heart" (especially is sciences like psycology, not as big an issue in arts)

Through active, current and leading research academcs are on the pulse and are able to deliver the most current ideas and learning. Also if your going for a technical job whats the first thing a new science grad is asked? What was your dissertation on?! If its 5 years out of date it looks plain stupid.
Reply 35
I am a third year student at Essex university and have not regretted my choice. It has a very good academic side to it as it is in the top 20 for research in the UK and also it is 2nd for student satisfaction. Check out this website for more statistics and information http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/essex. It is also a very social campus so it is easy to make friends and there are many activities and events going on throughout the year. Sports teams are all free to join if you are interested in port this could save you a lot of money and as it is a campus university everything you need is very close by. ^Sam
The most important question is, what sort of career do you want? Academia or practitioner?

I'll say this, when I applied for uni, undergrad and master's, I had never heard of the Russell Group and still couldn't tell you what it is, what it consists of or what it means. I can assure you, that if a new assistant psychologist turned up tomorrow and went on about how they were a graduate of a RG uni, everyone would think they were an idiot. I have never once heard of RG being a metric for a good degree, much less a good psychologist. This is amongst practicing psychologists, not academics.

If you're planning on the academia route, then I'll confess to not knowing much about the best ways 'in' to that career as it doesn't interest me at all. Perhaps having a degree from a more prestigious research uni will help, perhaps not. At the end of the day, most academics aren't going to make a huge name for themselves and revolutionise psychology and if you are, you'll do it no matter where you went to uni.

If you want to be a practitioner psychologist then...

Also if your going for a technical job whats the first thing a new science grad is asked? What was your dissertation on?! If its 5 years out of date it looks plain stupid.

is completely wrong for Psychology. There is only one thing about your undergraduate degree that matters, your classification. A first if you can, a 2:1 if not. Try not to get a 2:2. The second most important thing in getting onto master's or doctoral level training (and increasingly, Assistant psychologist and Psychological Wellbeing practitioner jobs) is your clinical experience. In terms of university I would absolutely advocate a placement year (4 year sandwich course) if you can - that experience is increasingly vital. If you can manage it, while at uni, work as a support worker, HCA, etc. Progressing from undergraduate psychology to paid roles/training requires one thing: reflection on your experiences - and that does not include reflecting on the 'status' of your uni. No one has ever asked me a single question about my undergraduate or master's degree, ever.

Research is important. Having published articles is very helpful for getting onto master's/doctorates, but not really needed to secure paid roles. Getting research published at undergrad is nice and definitely helpful, but by no means essential. For reference, over the next year and a half (working as an assistant psychologist) I'm expecting to have my name on up to 6 articles. While my undergrad and master's dissertations were utter bunk.

When thinking about getting a good degree classification, you need 3 things:
- To enjoy the modules
- To enjoy the city
- To enjoy the social aspects
If you hate the uni, you'll not do as well - getting a 2:2 from a RG uni will never compare to a first from anywhere else.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest