The Student Room Group

Oldest age you can be scouted

I've just turned 18 years old and would really like to be a professional footballer one day, but I'm quite old. I've only ever played with friends or at school but with no great ambitions and wouldn't join the team because just wasn't that interested. however recently I've become very much interested in playing for a team and taking it seriously and was wondering what my first step should be, and whether 18 year olds can be scouted for an academy or whether I'm too old. (i also know its very unlikely anyway, so you don't need to explain that to me haha)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you are exceptionally talented you've missed your opportunity of being scouted by a good 2/3 years at least
Reply 2
Original post by HalfDan
Unless you are exceptionally talented you've missed your opportunity of being scouted by a good 2/3 years at least
Is being scouted for an academy the only way to becoming a professional footballer?
Reply 3
You have to work your way through the age groups in an academy at a football club. Someone I used to play with at school now plays professionally and he was signed at the age of 16 and now plays in the 1st team after spending many years in the youth set up.
Reply 4
Original post by HalfDan
You have to work your way through the age groups in an academy at a football club. Someone I used to play with at school now plays professionally and he was signed at the age of 16 and now plays in the 1st team after spending many years in the youth set up.
but can't you join the under 19's for example without being in the younger age groups first?
Reply 5
Charlie Austin was at a sunday league team before he went QPR. Join a good team then help them get promoted through the english pyramid. Thats more realistic.
Reply 6
You probably could but it depends what team you are playing for currently. It has to be a decent standard
It ain't gonna happen bro.
Original post by harry734
but can't you join the under 19's for example without being in the younger age groups first?

You can but it is incredibly unlikely and you'd have to be an exceptionally good player. Get yourself into rugby many people start at this age and go on to make it professional.
Reply 9
Original post by will_jg
You can but it is incredibly unlikely and you'd have to be an exceptionally good player. Get yourself into rugby many people start at this age and go on to make it professional.
no interest in rugby, love football unfortunately
Reply 10
Original post by The Shed End
It ain't gonna happen bro.
thats the spirit lol
Reply 11
Original post by HalfDan
You probably could but it depends what team you are playing for currently. It has to be a decent standard
i know this sounds stupid but how can i find a good team and get them to let me join?
Reply 12
Only way (unless you're lucky) is to impress at a lower level team but that takes time and by then you will probably be too old. Only other way is to email some lower league conference teams asking for a trial but your lack of experience in competitive football will count against you
Reply 13
Original post by JXLS
Charlie Austin was at a sunday league team before he went QPR. Join a good team then help them get promoted through the english pyramid. Thats more realistic.

Burnley are bad but Sunday league is a bit harsh
Reply 14
Original post by HalfDan
Only way (unless you're lucky) is to impress at a lower level team but that takes time and by then you will probably be too old. Only other way is to email some lower league conference teams asking for a trial but your lack of experience in competitive football will count against you
so how do trials work? do you need to be selected or can anyone do trials?
Reply 15
Selected mostly. Not sure about the lower league conference teams recruitment
Reply 16
Original post by HalfDan
Selected mostly. Not sure about the lower league conference teams recruitment
and how do you get selected? lol sorry about all the questions mate
Reply 17
Original post by harry734
and how do you get selected? lol sorry about all the questions mate

By playing. Are you playing for a team atm?
Original post by HalfDan

Not necessarily.

There are examples of players who have gone from non-league clubs to playing in the top few divisions but they are incredibly rare.
Reply 19
There's not going to be scouts watching adult games, which is what you'll be playing

Latest