The Student Room Group

Tutoring primary school kids

I want to start a small tutoring business just for primary school kids in my area, maybe to help with their SATS or to help with primary school in general. I know all the content by heart and I will be studying it beforehand all lessons (I've already made lesson plans and have ideas about how I'm going to go about this) but the problem is with my age and the price. I'm about to go into year 9 (idk if this makes a different but at a good grammar school?) and I'm in Set 1 Maths, and get high marks English, but I didn't do the SATS when I was younger (COVID-19), so do you think I'm qualified? I was thinking to charge 12/h for group sessions of 4 kids but that might be too much, given that I have no experience (except with teaching my friends stuff but that doesn't count since we're the same age). What's the best way to do this?
Reply 1
I love your ambition, but as a parent I am not sure I would pay £12 a week and take my child to the house or somewhere where they will be looked after for an hour by someone in Y9 (the age of my oldest). Sorry. Frankly, if my primary kid's education were so important to me I would gladly pay double that or more to someone with qualifications, a track record and a DBS. And I would expect 1-1 tuition.

One place you might be able to go though is online tutoring but again, your age and experience go against you. Maybe put it on the back burner until you have A-levels under your belt and then aim for the GCSE market which is much more lucrative than primary especially if you are starting out.

In the meantime - can you think of other enterprises you could start up?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending