The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Offers from Durham, KCL and Exeter for Liberal Arts (Mandarin Chinese, French and History)!

Also joint honours History/Mandarin Chinese at SOAS and History/French at Warwick.

I'm definitely firming Durham but have to choose between KCL and SOAS... I'm very glad that I can pursue languages further though :bunny:
Reply 241
Original post by Ivoryfall
Late to the party; applications for Chinese (4yr), feedback so far:

Oxford: Rejected (feedback given)
Leeds: Rejected (no feedback given)
SOAS: Offer (2 Distinctions OU)
Durham: Pending
Edinburgh: Pending

Keen to get the all the feedback already so I can settle! :,) I have anxiety and the waiting is murder!

Well done on your offer! Do you mind me asking if the feedback from Oxford was useful as I'm not sure to apply for it?
Original post by Els-12
Well done on your offer! Do you mind me asking if the feedback from Oxford was useful as I'm not sure to apply for it?

Hey! Thanks very much! Yes, absolutely. In the UCAS feedback they give a brief summary, but if you email them they will contact you a little later to provide more complete feedback and advice on future applications :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by Ivoryfall
Hey! Thanks very much! Yes, absolutely. In the UCAS feedback they give a brief summary, but if you email them they will contact you a little later to provide more complete feedback and advice on future applications :smile:

Great, thank you! Which of your chosen unis is your top choice?
Original post by Els-12
Great, thank you! Which of your chosen unis is your top choice?

Honestly, they're all very evenly matched for the Chinese teaching, although SOAS is preferable because it's essentially THE one place in Europe whose sole purpose for being and focal point of research is entirely African and the Orient. It's sort of 'what they do'! :smile:
That said, I have to take into consideration the fact I don't get my first year of government funding, so that makes Edinburgh look VERY appealing as someone who (despite being a UK home student) is classed as an EU student and thus my fees would be considerably lower there.
It really is a case of waiting to see what I'm offered, and going from there :smile:

x
Reply 245
Guuuuuuys is anyone else struggling to choose an insurance? Can't decided between Bristol or Edinburgh - which would be better for languages? Both have given me pretty low offers and I love both of the cities!!
Guys.... I applied for Arabic/Chinese at Leeds ...got an offer ... and I cant wait going there ... I adore the course and learning new languages but everybody tells me that it is pretty hard course to deal with this degree. Btw. I am Eu student and I studied Spanish (B1), German and Turkish(A2).
What do you think? Is it impossible to deal with both languages
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Darilinna
Guys.... I applied for Arabic/Chinese at Leeds ...got an offer ... and I cant wait going there ... I adore the course and learning new languages but everybody tells me that it is pretty hard course to deal with this degree. Btw. I am Eu student and I studied Spanish (B1), German and Turkish(A2).
What do you think? Is it impossible to deal with both languages

Hey :smile: Congrats on the offer! I think that the fact they've given you an offer shows that they believe you're capable. If they didn't think you could do it, they wouldn't have given you a place. Give it a go, and if you struggle you can deal with it then and they'll help you- chances are you'll be absolutely fine. Best of luck!
Original post by AC57
Guuuuuuys is anyone else struggling to choose an insurance? Can't decided between Bristol or Edinburgh - which would be better for languages? Both have given me pretty low offers and I love both of the cities!!

yeah I feel your pain :/ I'm stuck between Durham and St Andrews for insurance. My St Andrews offer is slightly lower (AAB as opposed to AAA) and I'd probably be more relaxed come results day. However, Durham is, well, Durham and I would feel 100% ridiculous turning down an offer from them?? My gut feeling is St Andrews today but I'll probably wake up tomorrow and think Durham.
Have you tried doing the ol' toss a coin, and in that moment that the coin is in the air you realise which one you really want?
Idk try not to worry about it, chances are you'll get your firm choice & we've still got quite a while to mull it over. Somewhat hypocritical coming from me but ya
Out of interest what was your offer from Edinburgh & what languages? I've applied for French & Russian and it's the only one I'm still waiting on (if they give me an easy offer I s2g this insurance crisis is going to escalate even further)
Original post by desmoulins
Hey :smile: Congrats on the offer! I think that the fact they've given you an offer shows that they believe you're capable. If they didn't think you could do it, they wouldn't have given you a place. Give it a go, and if you struggle you can deal with it then and they'll help you- chances are you'll be absolutely fine. Best of luck!

oooo just Thank you ... after a long time someone told me something encouragingly. What are you going to study ?
is anyone still waiting for Edinburgh?
I sent off my UCAS application early November :/
yeah I feel your pain :/ I'm stuck between Durham and St Andrews for insurance. My St Andrews offer is slightly lower (AAB as opposed to AAA) and I'd probably be more relaxed come results day. However, Durham is, well, Durham and I would feel 100% ridiculous turning down an offer from them?? My gut feeling is St Andrews today but I'll probably wake up tomorrow and think Durham.

Likewise - I'm looking between Durham and St Andrews for insurance (perhaps Exeter, but that seems unlikely, if only because it's just so far away). I've got the same offers too, but I'm not letting them sway my decision too much, even if Durham's is slightly higher. I'm slightly tentative about St Andrews as well because it's an extra year, so +£9000, the tuition in the year abroad is £4500 rather than £1350, so +£3150, and private rental accommodation after first year is ridiculously expensive, so +£????. But on the other hand, I worry that maybe Durham is a bit too close to home for me.
Anyone else get a lower offer than expected from Edinburgh? :smile:
Reply 253
Original post by Diabolomenthe
Anyone else get a lower offer than expected from Edinburgh? :smile:

Yeah they gave such a good offer!!! D:
Reply 254
Have you tried doing the ol' toss a coin, and in that moment that the coin is in the air you realise which one you really want?
Idk try not to worry about it, chances are you'll get your firm choice & we've still got quite a while to mull it over. Somewhat hypocritical coming from me but ya
Out of interest what was your offer from Edinburgh & what languages? I've applied for French & Russian and it's the only one I'm still waiting on (if they give me an easy offer I s2g this insurance crisis is going to escalate even further)

I've applied for French and Portuguese aha don't worry! Both of the offers are so calm, I do the IB so my firm choice has given me an offer of 38 points, but Edinburgh has given 34 and Bristol even lower at 32! Both are quite dreamy, but I can't help but think I'll regret whichever I choose... they're both so great! I mean best case scenario I just get 38 points and go to my firm :')

What's your firm going to be?
Has anyone applied for a language course at Kent...? I got an offer to do Asian studies and French
Original post by queenaabb
is anyone still waiting for Edinburgh?
I sent off my UCAS application early November :/

I'm still waiting too. I sent mine off at the start of November and I'm still waiting to hear from Glasgow but I know that I won't hear from them until mid March. I have the qualifications to get into Edinburgh and I hate waiting to hear :frown:
Original post by chloe11098
I'm still waiting too. I sent mine off at the start of November and I'm still waiting to hear from Glasgow but I know that I won't hear from them until mid March. I have the qualifications to get into Edinburgh and I hate waiting to hear :frown:

I'm actually not that fussed about Edinburgh since I already heard back from my first choice. But I get you - I hate waiting :frown:
Hi, bit late to the party. I have applied to do post-level German and Russian, but also looking to do beginners french, (I know, unusual combination but hey ho :biggrin:). So far I have received an offer from Sheffield (ABB), and rejections from both UCL and Bristol. However I am STILL waiting on Nottingham and Exeter and it is really starting to freak me out! Having gone to an applicant day at Sheffield I have found that most have already received offers from Exeter and Nottingham too... I am starting to accept that the rejections will come in any minute now. It's not all bad as I loved sheffield, but I would still like at least an insurance :frown:
Really stressing out right now! I haven't even started my folio for Advanced Higher French and German so I am wondering if anyone could help me get started on it? The deadline for it is this friday coming! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending