The Student Room Group

Will exam answers be ignored if you wrote in pencil by accident???!!

So there were a couple of times during my maths exam specifically where I'd use pencil for a diagram or something and would forget to switch back to pen and keep writing. During the exam one of the teachers noticed and very kindly reminded me to switch back to pen. I panicked and was went back over everything to make sure i'd written in pen throughout but now i cant remember and as results draw closer i'v been panicking more and wondering what if there were points i forgot to switch to pen and didn't realise.

Does this mean those answers would have been automatically awarded 0? or not been looked at all??

or is black pen use mainly so that examiners can see what you wrote when its scanned? because since they ask us to draw diagrams with pencil does that mean they would be able to see what i wrote and mark it anyway if i wrote with pencil by accident?
Original post by lukasthepoet
So there were a couple of times during my maths exam specifically where I'd use pencil for a diagram or something and would forget to switch back to pen and keep writing. During the exam one of the teachers noticed and very kindly reminded me to switch back to pen. I panicked and was went back over everything to make sure i'd written in pen throughout but now i cant remember and as results draw closer i'v been panicking more and wondering what if there were points i forgot to switch to pen and didn't realise.

Does this mean those answers would have been automatically awarded 0? or not been looked at all??

or is black pen use mainly so that examiners can see what you wrote when its scanned? because since they ask us to draw diagrams with pencil does that mean they would be able to see what i wrote and mark it anyway if i wrote with pencil by accident?

From what I know black is the easiest to scan and view on a screen. I've heard if the scan is poor quality they'll look at the paper itself. Shouldn't be too much to worry about. It would be unfair to discount answers simply on that basis. I can't guarantee it though, just what I've heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misteltain
From what I know black is the easiest to scan and view on a screen. I've heard if the scan is poor quality they'll look at the paper itself. Shouldn't be too much to worry about. It would be unfair to discount answers simply on that basis. I can't guarantee it though, just what I've heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that helps me feel a little better
just have to keep my fingers crossed i suppose
I know I did a whole GCSE maths exam in pencil, realised and went back to write over all my answers in pen until I ran out of time, so I didn't get to do all of it. Still got a high mark so I guess it means that it's okay.
Thank you, that helps me feel a little better
just have to keep my fingers crossed i suppose

Don't worry about it. They're not so evil I'm sure lol. It'll be alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will definitely be alright :smile: They say use black pen so it is easy to scan but the fact they say use pencil for diagrams means it clearly does show up in the scan. Loads of people use pencil by mistake...you wont lost marks for it :smile:
Original post by Munrot07
You will definitely be alright :smile: They say use black pen so it is easy to scan but the fact they say use pencil for diagrams means it clearly does show up in the scan. Loads of people use pencil by mistake...you wont lost marks for it :smile:

thank you :smile:

You have nothing to worry about - my Dad marks examination papers, he's come across it a few times where people have written in blue ink / fountain pen / pencil, and he said it doesn't make a blind bit of different. And they look at the original if the the scanned document is difficult to read :smile:
Original post by Claire062
You have nothing to worry about - my Dad marks examination papers, he's come across it a few times where people have written in blue ink / fountain pen / pencil, and he said it doesn't make a blind bit of different. And they look at the original if the the scanned document is difficult to read :smile:

thats such a relief!
Reply 9

thats such a relief!

What was your final outcome? My son did the same to his 11+ exam and I'm freaking out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending