The Student Room Group

A* at A-Level?

I've noticed that a lot of people who achieved mainly A*s at GCSE don't achieve A*s at A-Level. In fact, I can't recall a single person ever telling me they got an A* at A-Level. Is this even possible? Or just extremely hard? Sorry if this is a stupid question xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

It is possible; very difficult, but not as rare as you'd think.
Original post by MeeranB
It's completely possible! You just got to really be dedicated to getting those grades, it's really just a matter of time invested in the end, as long as you aren't mad inefficient, ya feel?

Hahaha I feel I feel. What's the likelihood of straight A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths? A bit too ambitious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
It is possible; very difficult, but not as rare as you'd think.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by April Barlow
Hahaha I feel I feel. What's the likelihood of straight A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths? A bit too ambitious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing is too ambitious, if you are prepared to work hard for it. Good luck.
Original post by Middles
Nothing is too ambitious, if you are prepared to work hard for it. Good luck.

Thanks. Best of luck in whatever you're doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeeranB
Straight a*s is never something I think you could be more than 50% sure of getting, no matter how much revision you do, but it is completely possible yeah, I have one mate that did that xD.

The thing is though, you don't really need straight a*s, I think if you spent the entire of the next year or two of you life to get those a*s. It would be less worth it than if you got 2 A*s and 2 As and lots of good stuff for a personal statement

Yeah, I completely get where you're coming from. It's unlikely I'll get those grades but do I want straight As. If I'm honest, my own expectations are higher than what I'll probably ever need for the next step in my education. Mind me asking what a-levels your friend took?:smile: Best of luck in what you're doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't even get a single A* at GCSES and did much better in my AS levels!
Is your question whether it is possible to get A*s at A levels? :confused:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Is your question whether it is possible to get A*s at A levels? :confused:

Yeah, I get it now. I just didn't understand why I saw an abundance of As and no A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix
I didn't even get a single A* at GCSES and did much better in my AS levels!

That's comforting to know :smile: which AS levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I get it now. I just didn't understand why I saw an abundance of As and no A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile

The A* grade was only introduced in 2010, but how many people who "achieved mainly A*s at GCSE" do you know that didn't achieve a single A* at A level?

In 2014 8.2% of A levels awarded were A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too ambitious for some of the subjects you've listed. A whooping 17% of maths students got an A* in 2014.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
(edited 8 years ago)
just study extra hard... I know many people who gained A*'s at a-level
Original post by Law-Hopeful
The A* grade was only introduced in 2010, but how many people who "achieved mainly A*s at GCSE" do you know that didn't achieve a single A* at A level?

In 2014 8.2% of A levels awarded were A*s.

Pretty much all of the people I know that got A*s and As at GCSE. Plus people I've spoke to on TSR. Probably just coincidence that none of them got A*s. You can see why I questioned if it were possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GraceTheSheep
Not too ambitious for some of the subjects you've listed. A whooping 17% of maths students got an A* in 2014.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

That's encouraging, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeeranB
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History, he was a clever lil' bugger :P

Blimey. Props to that guy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sim12345
just study extra hard... I know many people who gained A*'s at a-level

I'll be sure to. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be sure to. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile:
To an extent the A* is down to luck I think. You can revise all you want but depending on a few factors such as how you feel on the actual exam day and the questions that come up...

You just have to be pretty darn good at the subject to get an A* and its a lot harder then GCSE I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest