The Student Room Group

societies and clubs?

pretty straightforward question.
i want to join a few clubs and societies of course but those cost some money
im just wondering as i do want to be sensible with money and not spend too much so how much would people recommend spending on societies and would people bother joining societies for their subject e.g. if youre studying english should you join english society?
Original post by EmergencyBagels
im just wondering as i do want to be sensible with money and not spend too much so how much would people recommend spending on societies and would people bother joining societies for their subject e.g. if youre studying english should you join english society?

Unfortunately the only real answer is "it depends". You may find that the society for your course is heavily encouraged by the teaching staff. In some cases it can be a means for students to discuss the course and assignments, and get a little more help as a peer group. It's unlikely to end up costing as much as some 'hobby' societies.

That said, for my first degree there was no point in the society of the same subject, since it was based at a campus miles away from my own.

They'll likely tell you more about it during freshers week. It'll be easier to calculate a budget that way.

I intend to join the society for my course this year, but mostly because literally everyone on my course is part of it as a necessity, and along with trips includes some mentoring and advice from students further along in their studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of societies will be free or have minimal cost. The physics society at my uni had a fee but that got you free pizza at film nights and money off when they went paintballing, neither of which I was interested in so I didn't pay. Most societies will allow (and encourage) you to try a meeting or two before paying any money so you're sure you want to stick around.

Sports clubs, however, are run differently and require you to pay membership fees. At my uni this goes to the union to pay for our hall hire and equipment. If we were found to have people regularly attending sessions who hadn't got membership we would risk having our funding cut. But people were still permitted one session to try out the club before they had to buy membership.
Reply 3
Not sure about other Unis but Uni of sheff have a grant thing that can go towards joining societies

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks you guys

At my uni its a flat £3 fee to join the societies for a year, so not too expensive. No harm in joining your course society- you don't know how active/well organised it is or if its for you until you've been a member really. I wouldn't say you'd have time for more than 3 and thats if you don't want to spend more time with your flatmates. I found at my uni most freshers didn't bother with societies because they wanted to stick with their flatmates, and only really decided to do their own thing in second year plus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending