The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Sports clubs

Hi, I’m starting university in September this year and am considering joining a sports club/society of some sort. I’ve currently got about 3-4 clubs/societies lined up that I’m interested in trying

But I don’t know how many I will actually be able to do because of limited time. So was just wondering, from actual university students, how many clubs your actually able to partake in

I’m looking to study computer science in September along with working a part time job for some extra income on the side. So any time management tips would also be greatly appreciated :smile:
Hello and Congratulations from Swansea Students!
Sports clubs and Soceities are an integral part of your university experience and I highly recommend joining. In terms of time - this is completely up to you and how involved you would like to be. Some societies run fun events for their members, others are more focussed with their associeted course or subject e.g. MedSoc is a society for medical students at Swansea, SUCS - Swansea University Computer Society and many more! (Over 150)
Most students sign up for multiple sports and societies at the beginning of the year and with the progressing semester can decide how much time they have to contribute or participate - there is something for everybody. I highly recommend attending the Freshers' Week Sports and Soceities Fayre to chat and get info from the students who run the soceities you are interested in.
Time management - As a new student with part time work - your time will be limited but that does not mean you won't be able to enjoy. Most universities have a day when lectures finish early - in Swansea it is Wednesday, to allow students time to be involved in sports and other activities. Most societies run their events in the evenings so as to not coincide with study. I recommend going over your university timetable as soon as it is available to decide where you have time.
As a current undergraduate student, I am able to participate in at least 2 societies actively but this is personal choice and am also able to attend specific one off events from other soceities.
If you are keen on sports/soceities, you can find more info here - https://www.swansea-union.co.uk/get_involved/

Hope this helps!
Ruchika Yadav - Swansea Student Ambassador - 3rd year Medical Student
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest