The Student Room Group

Relevant work experience required for Chemical Engineering

Is work experience related to chemical engineering required or beneficial for applying to study chemical engineering at uni? Im looking to apply for Imperial, Bath or Manchester but have been struggling to find any work experience placements at any nearby companies and have so far been reading an introductory book to chemeng i got from the library but so far thats the only thing vaguely similar to the subject i can put on my statement in terms of extra circular activities. Should i try harder to find relevant experience or should i just settle for voluntary work of any kind?
Original post by Darcy1
Is work experience related to chemical engineering required or beneficial for applying to study chemical engineering at uni? Im looking to apply for Imperial, Bath or Manchester but have been struggling to find any work experience placements at any nearby companies and have so far been reading an introductory book to chemeng i got from the library but so far thats the only thing vaguely similar to the subject i can put on my statement in terms of extra circular activities. Should i try harder to find relevant experience or should i just settle for voluntary work of any kind?

Not many people have relevant work experience as its a hard field to get experience in, I'd say look at getting a job or even a volunteer placement for a shop, it's still experience in the work field. You could look at summer placements for engineering even if is general engineering, there's many sites that offer placements if you look online, but don't worry too much if you don't find any relevant
Reply 2
Original post by Mickeymouseisok
Not many people have relevant work experience as its a hard field to get experience in, I'd say look at getting a job or even a volunteer placement for a shop, it's still experience in the work field. You could look at summer placements for engineering even if is general engineering, there's many sites that offer placements if you look online, but don't worry too much if you don't find any relevant

Is there a preference by unis on voluntary work more than a part time job?
Original post by Darcy1
Is there a preference by unis on voluntary work more than a part time job?

I honestly don't know maybe you could contact the universities admission team? But I should think any experience wether it's paid or voluntarily, is taken as good experience as either way you're learning in a working environment, maybe try both if you have time. You could volunteer in a charity shop or anywhere you can for a few weeks to gain CV experience and then apply for part time jobs

Quick Reply

Latest