The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

whats_its_face
Are the nightlife places around Cambridge actually that strict?

Yes. Want to go to spoons ever? (Admittedly nobody would). You will need passport/driving license. Bath house/eagle on a busy night? Passport/driving license. Cindies when they're not taking uni cards? Passport/license. Same for fez/life but less often.
Reply 21
You have to keep in mind though; even if you do take a gap year, you won't be able to go to the pub with your friends for 6 months anyway.
Reply 22
The exception being here in China of course, where they would sell alcohol to 3 year olds if they could.

Actually my birthday's also in March, on the 5th. What about you?
Reply 23
not
Yes. Want to go to spoons ever? (Admittedly nobody would). You will need passport/driving license. Bath house/eagle on a busy night? Passport/driving license. Cindies when they're not taking uni cards? Passport/license. Same for fez/life but less often.

Cindies - are you joking? I got in there when I was 14!
I think the point was that a fake ID would be pointless as these days they only accept driving licenses or passports.

Some of them look really dodgily at my driving license and stare at me hard, presumably trying to work out if its someone else's as I don't really look 20. Personally I don't tend to go out, but if the OP is intending to go out often, it is something to think about.
SunderX
The exception being here in China of course, where they would sell alcohol to 3 year olds if they could.

Actually my birthday's also in March, on the 5th. What about you?

I am younger by like a week.

Hold on, so there are like 5 18-year olds with ID, and one person doesnt, they will actaully stop him? :|

I thought pubs were 16+? And you cant get served without a meal when U18.
The college bars - I suppose they would be cheap and used a lot by people and you wont need ID?

So, anyone know who exactly I should email to find which colleges care about age and which dont?
whats_its_face

Hold on, so there are like 5 18-year olds with ID, and one person doesnt, they will actaully stop him? :|

Of course they will.

I'm not saying you'll have zero social life if you're not 18+, I'm just saying you'll live with the constant awkward fear that you're going to get IDed and quite often you will be. It's a massive pain for you and the people you're with if you do, especially when you're a fresher it's all about doing things in big groups and people probably won't change their plans because it's friday and wherever is IDing everybody who looks under thirty on the door.

The reason I know this is because I'm 21, I look much older, and I still regularly have this happen to me since I lost my driving license photocard and I'm not one to carry my passport around all the time.
whats_its_face

So, anyone know who exactly I should email to find which colleges care about age and which dont?

Go on each college's website and find an address for their admission's tutor.
not
Go on each college's website and find an address for their admission's tutor.

Email each college :|?
Well listen, everybody has to choose a college from thirty to apply to. Once you have a shortlist of say five, email those ones.
Reply 31
whats_its_face
Email each college :|?

It's not that hard. Write a standard email then send it out to the 23 colleges that you are elligable to apply to.
I was moved up a year and will be 17 on entry this year; I turn 18 on the 25th of October. Ditto to above: some colleges won't take under 18s (King's for one, IIRC), but the general consensus I seemed to get was that if you turn 18 in the first term, it's OK with most colleges. (Thank God for October birthdays! :p: )I just rang up all the ones I was interested in and asked, or I emailed their admissions offices - numbers and email addies are on the college websites. :smile:
Reply 33
hyper-little-mushroom-men
I was moved up a year and will be 17 on entry this year; I turn 18 on the 25th of October. Ditto to above: some colleges won't take under 18s (King's for one, IIRC), but the general consensus I seemed to get was that if you turn 18 in the first term, it's OK with most colleges. (Thank God for October birthdays! :p: )I just rang up all the ones I was interested in and asked, or I emailed their admissions offices - numbers and email addies are on the college websites. :smile:

Yeah I know of a few people who were under 18 when they started here (Trinity). Fantastic birthday by the way :p:
Reply 34
I deferred entry for a year because I was going to be 17 when I started, and am on my gap year at the moment. Firstly it doesn't make it any harder to get in for deferred entry than for direct entry if the college is requiring you to do so because of your age, or so I would assume, as that wouldn't be particularly fair! Secondly it is perfectly possible to have a really good gap year even if you are 17 for a lot of it. I'm not 18 for another couple of weeks, have been working full time for 5 months and having a great time, and am leaving for India to teach for 5 months next week. So I wouldn't dismiss a gap year just because of your age, you might think it sounds like a waste of time now but I'm just halfway through my year out now and I'm already incredibly glad I've done it as I feel like I'll be a LOT more ready for uni when it comes.
apd35
Yeah I know of a few people who were under 18 when they started here (Trinity). Fantastic birthday by the way :p:

I'll be at Queens' (grades permitting! :p:) And yes, it has turned out to be a most convenient date of birth. Thanks, Mum and Dad! :cool:
Reply 36
Loocy
I deferred entry for a year because I was going to be 17 when I started, and am on my gap year at the moment. Firstly it doesn't make it any harder to get in for deferred entry than for direct entry if the college is requiring you to do so because of your age, or so I would assume, as that wouldn't be particularly fair! Secondly it is perfectly possible to have a really good gap year even if you are 17 for a lot of it. I'm not 18 for another couple of weeks, have been working full time for 5 months and having a great time, and am leaving for India to teach for 5 months next week. So I wouldn't dismiss a gap year just because of your age, you might think it sounds like a waste of time now but I'm just halfway through my year out now and I'm already incredibly glad I've done it as I feel like I'll be a LOT more ready for uni when it comes.

Good luck in India. I look forward to meeting you at the Cambs Soc party in Edinburgh in September. :smile:
Reply 37
Well i'm going to have just turned 18 when i start and i got an offer from Christ's...they asked me about it at interview...like had i thought about taking a gap year, but that's it...
Reply 38
All of the "social life" comments seem to have revolved around bars/clubs (I've *never* seen anyone IDed in a Cambridge pub, but then we obviously weren't there to cause trouble/get absolutely hammered). Just wanted to point out that you can have the most incredible social life without stepping anywhere near a pub, club or bar. No really - it happens. :wink:

So, unless you are absolutely dying to come to Cambridge and get drunk...it's really not going to be an issue. As someone else said, most Scottish applicants are a year younger than their English counterparts anyway, so it's fairly common. :smile:
Reply 39
when i interviewed at Oxford this year there was a girl interviewing in a similar situation to you - she had her 17th birthday in January.

She was given an 07 offer though not at her first choice college (she was given an offer from St Hughs), but she was applying for modern languages and there were so many interviewees that many got sent to other colleges and i dont think this was as much because of her age. - In short i dont think her age was an issue

Latest

Trending

Trending