The Student Room Group

Student Planners

Hello student room forum lurkers,
I must confess that I'm bit of a stationary addict. Through my school years, stationary shopping has been the highlight of my year... embarrassing I know. I head off for my first year of uni in September and for the first time I can buy my own student planner! I just wondered what fellow stationary/planner addicts had enjoyed using and obviously would prefer budget friendly options!
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by malteserlover
I must confess that I'm bit of a stationary addict. Through my school years, stationary shopping has been the highlight of my year... embarrassing I know. I head off for my first year of uni in September and for the first time I can buy my own student planner! I just wondered what fellow stationary/planner addicts had enjoyed using and obviously would prefer budget friendly options!
Thank you!

there's plenty of stationary addicts on this thread :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2833821

Personally i ve gone for a plain academic diary as it gives me plenty of flexibility but depends what you re studying really and exactly how much content will be going in your planner:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
there's plenty of stationary addicts on this thread :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2833821

Personally i ve gone for a plain academic diary as it gives me plenty of flexibility but depends what you re studying really and exactly how much content will be going in your planner:smile:

Thank you so much!
I gone for academic diary but am also getting a wall planner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by malteserlover
Thank you!

I finally found it online somewhere! just so you know, I got it from WHSmiths, no idea what this website is, just found it on the picture. And yes i could not find it on WHSmith website.

Anyway, this is what I have bought,
https://wordery.com/student-planner-and-academic-diary-2015-2016-jonathan-weyers-9781292083513?currency=GBP&gtrck=bEhGcWtwdDNIcVUvc01MSEZwdGhEZUFqcjJIRUkrL3k0d1lOeVZITzFnVUF3Nm4vZ0p1RnpPLzNkR3RId3BYL2RPL1puN3lNVEkvYkNwdENFajQ1TFE9PQ&gclid=CjwKEAjwxruuBRC9lLGslqjs-HISJAAkq21spHpsu73-Zh8FxJmTwU7HoPQmDv3EEDHx9v4qgR6fwRoCV7vw_wcB

Until this year I've used the basic WHSmith own brand, but this one ha lots of extra resources at the back, and also monthly and also weekly tips, all of which look useful for uni and woth the extra money to help with being organised.

I'm going to try and ignore the thread linked below, I think I am a fellow stationary adict and reading that thread could be seriously dangderous.. But the temptation is hard..
i bought a plain day to page academic diary which is a burgundy colour and decided to customise it with some patterned fabric tape that you use for scrap books so it's like one of a kind :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by temi.h.o.
i bought a plain day to page academic diary which is a burgundy colour and decided to customise it with some patterned fabric tape that you use for scrap books so it's like one of a kind :smile:

I like that idea, I am a scrapbooker ( is that a word?) So I know the kind of tape you mean, i have never thought of using it for anything other than scrapbooks though, but I like the thought. Will end up with it over diary, folders.. all kinds of things now. Thanks for the idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
I like that idea, I am a scrapbooker ( is that a word?) So I know the kind of tape you mean, i have never thought of using it for anything other than scrapbooks though, but I like the thought. Will end up with it over diary, folders.. all kinds of things now. Thanks for the idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's no problem, i got like three rolls for £4 or less off amazon and they are lovely and look great on the diary, i was thinking off putting them on my folders because i'm getting plain frosty ringbinders and want to do them up, i just love them :smile:
Reply 8
that's no problem, i got like three rolls for £4 or less off amazon and they are lovely and look great on the diary, i was thinking off putting them on my folders because i'm getting plain frosty ringbinders and want to do them up, i just love them :smile:

I imagine you could create some kind of colour coded system too so there is a reason for it other than decoration. Could probably then be used to make organisation easier.

I have something else to share ribbon related. Not just for you but for the OP or anyone else really. Normal ribbon maning not stixky makes really good bookmarks. Spiral bound things just tie it on the top one when the book/diary is closed, then open and put the ribbon in whatever page. Other books or folders stick it on the top of the spine so it will go over the top into tha page. Cut to leave a bit out the bottom of the book. And, you can easily have more than one ribbon on everything for multiple pages. And you cant loose it like a bookmark! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Ive gone for a filofax planner (well, a cheaper version, does the same job! :biggrin: )

I love the idea of creating my own page to print out and put in my planner, as I can really personalise. Ive tried buying academic diaries in the past, and I find that they either aren't aesthetically pleasing enough for a visual thinker like me to look at, or the layout just doesnt work for me. I'm literally spending ages on Etsy at the moment looking at stationary!
Reply 10
The best and nicest stationary I've found are all from www.paperchase.co.uk which is also a shop, I have an owl A5 planner from there which I use the most.
Then a mixture of whsmith and watersoons (slightly pricey though).
P.S. stationary shopping is also my highlight of the year!
Reply 11
Palgrave student planners are amazing, I'm getting myself one for uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
I imagine you could create some kind of colour coded system too so there is a reason for it other than decoration. Could probably then be used to make organisation easier.

I have something else to share ribbon related. Not just for you but for the OP or anyone else really. Normal ribbon maning not stixky makes really good bookmarks. Spiral bound things just tie it on the top one when the book/diary is closed, then open and put the ribbon in whatever page. Other books or folders stick it on the top of the spine so it will go over the top into tha page. Cut to leave a bit out the bottom of the book. And, you can easily have more than one ribbon on everything for multiple pages. And you cant loose it like a bookmark! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, different patterns for different modules and thanks for that idea, i am going to use that :smile:

Original post by xabsx
The best and nicest stationary I've found are all from www.paperchase.co.uk which is also a shop, I have an owl A5 planner from there which I use the most.
Then a mixture of whsmith and watersoons (slightly pricey though).
P.S. stationary shopping is also my highlight of the year!

paperchase is awesome, lovely quality products and i'm the same as you, i really like stationary shopping! :smile:
I use the calendar on my phone (It's called Jorte Calendar) and carry around a moleskin notebook for miscellaneous stuff.
Reply 14
Yeah, different patterns for different modules and thanks for that idea, i am going to use that :smile:

paperchase is awesome, lovely quality products and i'm the same as you, i really like stationary shopping! :smile:

No problem :smile: tip shating feels equal now.

I am like most people on this question and love stationary shopping paperchase is great, but is it not more expensive than others? And there is not one near me, so it is more expensive with the extra travel, so I dont go very often when I can get what I want closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
No problem :smile: tip shating feels equal now.

I am like most people on this question and love stationary shopping paperchase is great, but is it not more expensive than others? And there is not one near me, so it is more expensive with the extra travel, so I dont go very often when I can get what I want closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is, sometimes it's a bit too expensive, I check online as well like eBay and find cheap paperchase stuff or use a student discount, I only buy their 200 page notebooks because I find that they are so good
TkMaxx also do good stationary as well, went in there today and they've got some lovely stationary sets and notebooks :smile:
Hey there :smile:

In terms of wall planners, you'll definitely get a free one from your SU or support services. :yy:

In terms of planning diaries, I used one for the first year but I definitely preferred using my calendar and a to do list app. That said, my course isn't essay or work intensive outside of the classroom.

:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Roving Fish
Hey there :smile:

In terms of wall planners, you'll definitely get a free one from your SU or support services. :yy:

In terms of planning diaries, I used one for the first year but I definitely preferred using my calendar and a to do list app. That said, my course isn't essay or work intensive outside of the classroom.

:smile:

I wish I had known that earlier. I have bought both a diary and a callender. But probably could do without 1 if I get a free one. But then at least I have what I am used to.
How do you find out how intensive the course is outside the classeoom? Or is it just wait till I get my timetable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
I wish I had known that earlier. I have bought both a diary and a callender. But probably could do without 1 if I get a free one. But then at least I have what I am used to.
How do you find out how intensive the course is outside the classeoom? Or is it just wait till I get my timetable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't be able to tell until you get there. I'm graphic design, so I get weekly things to do but now I'm in my final year it'll be me doing what I want to do. :colone:
Seeing as I won't really have much in the way of weekly assignments, I've just got myself a week-to-view academic diary and then plan on getting hold of/printing a wall planner so I can break down what/when to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending