The Student Room Group

GCSE Art help

I’ve just completed my first year of AQA GCSE art and still have one year to go, but have no clue what to do. Our teacher didn’t help us much with our sketchbook but only told us to draw random things incline with your theme and research artists. I have lost my art sketchbook due to me moving houses, so I have to start again.
I was also off for a lot of the school year due to illness but am still predicted to get an A*. I have researched artists but they do not connect with my theme which is either India or distraught world (includes polluted places etc...). What theme would you recommend?
I just need some guidance as to how I need to layout my work (should the research of artists be first then my own work?)
And how many sketchbooks I have to do (and are they all the same theme or different)?
tysm :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Riyatøp
I’ve just completed my first year of AQA GCSE art and still have one year to go, but have no clue what to do. Our teacher didn’t help us much with our sketchbook but only told us to draw random things incline with your theme and research artists. I have lost my art sketchbook due to me moving houses, so I have to start again.
I was also off for a lot of the school year due to illness but am still predicted to get an A*. I have researched artists but they do not connect with my theme which is either India or distraught world (includes polluted places etc...). What theme would you recommend?
I just need some guidance as to how I need to layout my work (should the research of artists be first then my own work?)
And how many sketchbooks I have to do (and are they all the same theme or different)?
tysm :smile:

First of all, know exactly what your theme is (with India are you going to look at the culture in general? and look for artist that associate with that theme from your point of view and can be in an indirect way, for example look at indian architectures and patterns (Rajput painting, Mysore painting, Tanjore painting, Madhubani painting, Pattachitra, Mughal paintings are very famous in india).

Then, plan exactly what you are going to do in terms of producing work (are you going to just paint? or use pencils? make 3d figures? I suggest using and getting comfortable with at least 3 different medium). Start taking pictures and produce any type of work you can think of. If the picture isn't related to your theme, make it related, for example you could take a picture of someone's hand and do a sketch of that hand; then draw some henna art over the hand.

Don't just do complete pieces of work in your sketchbook, also practice techniques (e.g. using paint, drawing/shading techniques, colour theory) and try and explain what you did (you don't have to, but a lot of people do). Here's an example of a student practicing their technique:
http://www.studentartguide.com/featured/how-to-draw-realistic-eyes

Here are examples of sketchbooks:
http://www.studentartguide.com/featured/gcse-art-sketchbook-examples

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending