The Student Room Group

Help?

Hi. I've just finished my GCSE's and got 4As in Eng Lit, RS, Biology,Chemistry
and a B in Photography and Physics. I also got a C in English Language, Maths, Business Studies. I'm looking to go into medicine in the future so can anyone tell if these grades would affect applying to uni in any way. And also I want to take Biology, Chemistry as well as English Lit and Lang in A-levels so would this get me in to a decent medical school or university?

Sorry I have so many questions! I'd love if anyone could help me out thanks so much in advance.
Get the book "so you want to be a doctor"- it really is excellent.
Unfortunatly with medicine being so competitive they now look really closely at GCSE profiles particually schools without entry exams like birmingham who want 7 A* at GCSE. Not having maths or physics at least at AS level would also not help you. Your chosen A levels are very tough subjects, and if in doubt of getting an A, chose four you can defo get an A in and do a foundation year. I had a similar GCSE profile to you with 4 A in bio,maths,eng lang and music 6 Bs in lit,french,spanish,geography,chemistry,physics and a C in dance. I did bio,chem,maths and sociology at AS getting DBDB in the same order. I know medicine is off the table but I am now really looking forward to apply for childrens nursing. Keep your options open, work hard and get loads of work experience because A levels are very tricky and medicine is very competitive!
While GCSEs are important, you can apply strategically to universities that don't place much emphasis on GCSE results and instead place more emphasis on one of your strong points. It could be your UKCAT score or your personal statement but you should definitely apply according to your strengths. Also, avoid Cardiff, Birmingham and Oxford. They care a lot about GCSEs...

See here for more: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Your grades at GCSE aren't great, but you did get As in the two most important sciences. Some medical schools ask for Bs in maths and English, which you don't have, but taking English to A level may help with that if you get a good grade (although on that note, is it wise taking an A level in a subject you got a C in instead of a subject like RS which you got an A in?).

The aforementioned 'So you want to be a doctor?' book really is great for strategically picking medical schools - I own it so I'll give you some advice from it! Birmingham, Cambridge, Bristol, QUB, Cardiff, Oxford, Hull York, Lancaster, Liverpool, Keele, Barts, Imperial, St George's, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton, UEA, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff are all out for you because of your GCSE grades. All other medical schools - Brighton and Sussex, Newcastle/ Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Leicester, King's, Plymouth, Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews - may consider you if you do very well at AS level and have an amazing personal statement. (Please bear in mind that this information may have changed as the book was published in 2013 and some medical schools change their requirements). Also, many of those unis are 'out' because they need at least a B in GCSE English and Maths, so resitting those GCSEs to get at least Bs would open up some more options if you want them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending