The Student Room Group

are my grades good enough for london and the barts med school

I received 5A* 3A 1B 1C, A* in maths stats physics bio chem. A in lit history and geography. B in english lang( 1 mark off an A getting it remarked) and C in d and t

i plan to do bio chem physics and maths at as and if i get good grades in all four then i will carry on with the 4 at a2.

are my gcse good enough for barts and does anyone have any tips on what to do to make my application stronger for barts.

thanks
Keep your options open with medical schools as even the most highly qualified students sometimes don't get places. Get lots of healthcare work experience in hospitals, Clinics, old peoples homes, hospices- this will really set you apart from the rest of the crowd. You can also leave out the C you got in D&T on your application as its not a core subject. You have just finished your GCSEs so don't pin-point a university on reputation, go visit lots of universities work really hard and remember to have some hobbies as well- the more unusual the better!

Also most med schools don't require 4 A2, I go to the best state sixth form in the country (not boasting, its statistically true) and only 10% of 2200 students carry 4 subjects to A2, do double maths if you really want an extra A level.
Reply 2
Original post by hopefulmedic1998
I received 5A* 3A 1B 1C, A* in maths stats physics bio chem. A in lit history and geography. B in english lang( 1 mark off an A getting it remarked) and C in d and t

i plan to do bio chem physics and maths at as and if i get good grades in all four then i will carry on with the 4 at a2.

are my gcse good enough for barts and does anyone have any tips on what to do to make my application stronger for barts.

thanks

Your GCSE results are fine for Barts as they are not very GCSE oriented unlike schools such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Cardiff, Bristol and Lancaster. If that B becomes an A it will of course help you even more.

One tip from me is to not focus on making your application stronger for barts but for every medical school. No med school in England is 'better' or 'worse', as long as they meet the GMC guidelines.

Do a lot of voluntary work (I can't stress how important this is). Also do a lot of extracurricular activities, show them that you can have a balance life. Start practicing for UKCAT/BMAT (yes even from now). All of these will help you write a really good personal statement. Last but not least, keep your options open (research schools, courses, alternative routes into medicine) I've known people who got 4 A*s in A levels but couldn't get into med school so grades are deffo not everything. Good luck :smile:
thanks everyone for the helpful advice, i will definitely keep my options open and research other med schools.
Original post by frostyjacks4life
Keep your options open with medical schools as even the most highly qualified students sometimes don't get places. Get lots of healthcare work experience in hospitals, Clinics, old peoples homes, hospices- this will really set you apart from the rest of the crowd. You can also leave out the C you got in D&T on your application as its not a core subject. You have just finished your GCSEs so don't pin-point a university on reputation, go visit lots of universities work really hard and remember to have some hobbies as well- the more unusual the better!

Also most med schools don't require 4 A2, I go to the best state sixth form in the country (not boasting, its statistically true) and only 10% of 2200 students carry 4 subjects to A2, do double maths if you really want an extra A level.

No, you have to declare all certificated results no matter what subject they were in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending