Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I literally have no idea how to start my PS, I know that once I've started it will all just flow but I'm so bad at starting! Could anybody help?? I'm applying for 'Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies with Psychology'.
    Help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethamiltonnn)
    I literally have no idea how to start my PS, I know that once I've started it will all just flow but I'm so bad at starting! Could anybody help?? I'm applying for 'Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies with Psychology'.
    Help would be appreciated
    Oh gosh, remenicing the personal statement days. Start off with an idea or experience that lead to your interest in criminology and psychology xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Don't worry about the start. Write the rest of the statement and think about the start later. Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your ideas and structure your statement.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! What helped me was looking at examples of other Personal Statements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    As other people have said, do the introduction last or else you'll be labouring over it for hours on end and you won't get anywhere with the main body of your statement, which is always the most important thing. Grabbing the attention of the reader is obviously important, but I wrote my introduction after writing the rest purely because I knew the direction I was going in with my statement - after all, you want everything to flow and a "random" introduction won't necessarily be impressive. Also, introductions don't have to be very long - just an introductory sentence or two will be sufficient before moving into the main things you want to cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    As other people have said, do the introduction last or else you'll be labouring over it for hours on end and you won't get anywhere with the main body of your statement, which is always the most important thing. Grabbing the attention of the reader is obviously important, but I wrote my introduction after writing the rest purely because I knew the direction I was going in with my statement - after all, you want everything to flow and a "random" introduction won't necessarily be impressive. Also, introductions don't have to be very long - just an introductory sentence or two will be sufficient before moving into the main things you want to cover.

thank you very much, will try it out! hopefully I'll get somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mybeingof)
    Hey! What helped me was looking at examples of other Personal Statements
    yeah I have tried this today, it is looking quite hopeful! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Don't worry about the start. Write the rest of the statement and think about the start later. Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your ideas and structure your statement.
    thank you, will try it out

ReputationRep:
    There are sites that you can go on to check personal statements what unis like. There are like sentence starters that are no go, things like When I was younger.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    If you want something to put in your intro (to be changed later) just write something like 'I want to study X because...'

ReputationRep:
    yeah I have tried this today, it is looking quite hopeful! thank you
    No problem and good luck!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.