The Student Room Group

Why do people call pigeons "Rats with wings"? (Biology heavy)

It was too long so I didn't read it: Rats and pigeons are different animals so they are not comparable at all.

I don't understand why people call pigeons "rats with wings".It makes no sense on a biological standpoint!

1: Rats are in the order of Mammalia,

Spoiler

2. Pigeons are in the order of Ava.

Spoiler

3 Rats are viviparous; they carry their young inside thier body in an organ called the uterus. Pigeons are oviparous, they lay hard shelled eggs opposed to reptiles who lay soft shelled eggs.Rats and pigeons have different reproductive strategies, rats have a short gestation period and have a lot of pups, the mother is the sole care, while pigeons lay only one egg, both parents care for the young.

Before anyone says about real rats with wings. As far as I know, rats do not have the genes to enable them to grow wings and there are not any environmental pressures that would require them to need wings right now.

Scroll to see replies

I love pigeons :redface: Theres a bunch of them that live in my garden and I feed them every day =)

Such peaceful animals
It isn't meant to make sense on a biological standpoint, its an observation on how both rats and pigeons generally carry lots of diseases and are very common animals, and people are annoyed by the sheer number of them in places
You've missed the point.

I like pigeons though!
Original post by ChickenMadness
I love pigeons :redface: Theres a bunch of them that live in my garden and I feed them every day =)

Such peaceful animals

Pidgeon madness.
They are both disgusting, carry diseases and are basically rodents/parasites.
Original post by bluemadhatter
They are both disgusting, carry diseases and are basically rodents/parasites.

Rodentia: Multicellaur endothermic eutgericorganisms which have front incisors that need constant gnawing and have a fast breeding rate.

Pigeons are multicellular endothermic organisms but they do not have the characteristics of a rodent or a mammal as I've already stated. They are not parasites either they would need to be living in a host in addition to other characteristics.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Rodentia: Multicellaur endothermic eutgericorganisms which have front incisors that need constant gnawing and have a fast breeding rate.

Pigeons are multicellular endothermic organisms but they do not have the characteristics of a rodent or a mammal as I've already stated. They are not parasites either they would need to be living in a host in addition to other characteristics.

What I MEAN is they are horrible little things who feed on other peoples food.

They're gold diggers innit bruv

You find pigeons horrible?. How disgusting
Bats are literally rats with wings and at least bats are mammals. Moreover I'll guess that bats evolved from rats/mice since I assume that rodents were the first mammals.
Original post by lllllllllll
They're gold diggers innit bruv

more like parasites

Original post by FlyingNinja1
You find pigeons horrible?. How disgusting

What's nice about them? If it were not for humans, they would have been extinct or evolved into something else. Animals are not meant to be reliant on human food, they promote litter and disease sharing.
more like parasites

no lol. parasites eat you alive!
Original post by lllllllllll
no lol. parasites eat you alive!

http://prntscr.com/8apony
more like parasites

What's nice about them? If it were not for humans, they would have been extinct or evolved into something else. Animals are not meant to be reliant on human food, they promote litter and disease sharing.

I know, I'm sick of their constant marches with their pro-litter agenda.

Spoiler

It's called an analogy, you unfeasible human train-wreck.
I like pigeons and rats :K:
Original post by nase14_aldayz
I know, I'm sick of their constant marches with their pro-litter agenda.

Spoiler

:rofl:

and no the street cleaners, clean the streets of dropped food and rubbish.

That doesn't make them a parasite. A tapeworm is a parasite, it needs its host to survive and in causes harm to its host, a pigeon doesn't have a host, it is able to feed itself and it doesn't cause harm to anything, they may be a nuisance but they dn't hurt anyone it is NOT a parasite. It maybe be considered a "pest" but it is NOT a parasite!

Quick Reply

Latest