The Student Room Group

What do people think of Muslim girls that wear hijab and abaya (the long black dress)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phoenixsilver
No, to me it makes them non-approachable as people wearing them never respond when you talk to them, or just mumble something in a foreign language (my experience).

Also I believe it to be ridiculous that these things can be worn to conceal your identity in public, yet a man wouldn't be able to wear a bandit mask in the street!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe you are confusing hijab with niqab or burka...the op said she only meant hijab
Original post by JXLS
So what about nuns that wear clothing similar to the abaya and a headscarf?

How often do you see nuns wearing such attire in public? There are not many of them, whilst I see muslim women wearing headscarfs every single day. Also, I'm not against muslims particularly, I just don't like such explicit expression of someone's religious beliefs.
Original post by Anonymous
Yep I agree. So do you know any girls that dress the way I do? Deep down what do you really think when you see one?

I dont know any no...tbh i dont know how to randomly approach girls in general more so with muslim girls as i see less of them..honestly i will acknowledge the fact youre wearing a hijab or whatever in my head and then continue on with my life or if im talking to you i may ask you a couple of questions about it.
Reply 103
Growing up in London I've been around people wearing the Hijab and abaya all my life,so i don't find it awkward at all and I feel as though I would approach them the same way I'd approach anyone else. However the niqab and burka are different. I see nothing wrong with it and it's the persons choice if they want to wear it but I wouldn't feel comfortable about approaching someone wearing it. I think it's because I wouldn't be able to read their facial expressions and that in itself is quite unnerving. Saying that though I have a friend that wears the niqab and I'm fine talking to her and going out with her but perhaps that's just because I've known her longer than she's been wearing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoenixsilver
No, to me it makes them non-approachable as people wearing them never respond when you talk to them, or just mumble something in a foreign language (my experience).

Also I believe it to be ridiculous that these things can be worn to conceal your identity in public, yet a man wouldn't be able to wear a bandit mask in the street!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, I'm guessing the ones you approach are foreigners..
Reply 105
Original post by 0123456543210
How often do you see nuns wearing such attire in public? There are not many of them, whilst I see muslim women wearing headscarfs every single day. Also, I'm not against muslims particularly, I just don't like such explicit expression of someone's religious beliefs.

So because there aren't many nuns its okay or am I misunderstanding. There shouldn't be a difference if you think about it the nun, regardless of whether there aren't many, is explicitly expressing her religious beliefs. So why is there a problem for the Muslims?
Reply 106

or your problem is someone following their religion thoroughly. Do you expect them to pick what parts they should and shouldn't follow because you 'don't like such explicit expression of someone's religious beliefs'
Original post by Anonymous
Please inform me if anything I said was wrong

Well your opinion because that's really all that it is, that Islam is 'an archaic, violent, oppressive religion founded by a child molesting pedophile warlord' is quite offensive and ignorant. Obviously it's archaic as It was put into practice 1400 years ago, what do you mean by the fact that it's violent? I've been a Muslim for 19 years and I'd like to think I couldn't hurt a fly, oppressive? I don't remember feeling oppressed and the word 'pedophile' only even came into the dictionary quite recently so it must have been considered normal beforehand...Marrying at a young age was a cultural practice that varied for many cultures so to call the prophet a pedophile is just unfair.
Reply 108
Original post by Danz0r123
People who wear them look a lot less approachable, but that doesn't mean I won't ever approach you or wouldn't be friends with you. It's all about the body language and because I can see your face I can judge from that only. Now if we are talking about a Niqab then no I wouldn't approach, there's just too little to be able to judge your intentions by. Think about it this way, would you approach someone or talk to someone who you have never seen before and is wearing a balaclava.
As a side question, are you ever allowed to wear 'normal' casual clothes outside or do you always have to cover up in the black dresses and the hijab?

tbh I don't wear the 'black dress' to college/uni, I wear modest casual clothes eg. long top with a cardigan. I don't feel confident enough to wear the black dress in public

I guess it's a personal decision, some decide to wear the black dress (abaya), others don't. I feel like as long as everything is covered- it's islamically acceptable
It makes me think about their unspoiled Muslim pussies and their naughty secret haraam wetness under the folds
Reply 110
Original post by ZQ110
tbh I don't wear the 'black dress' to college/uni, I wear modest casual clothes eg. long top with a cardigan. I don't feel confident enough to wear the black dress in public

I guess it's a personal decision, some decide to wear the black dress (abaya), others don't. I feel like as long as everything is covered- it's islamically acceptable

plus the 'black dress' can be really unpractical in terms of stairs and escalators.. I feel way more comfortable wearing loose trousers/ loose jeans ect
Original post by ZQ110

"I don't feel confident enough to wear the black dress in public".

Don't care what other people think about you. You are only wearing it to please Allah S.W.T.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have worn a hijab and skirt /abayah for a long time and nobody has been racist or had something against my clothing.I also thankfully had no trouble making friends so I dont think ill know what to do if someone was rude upfront.
Original post by JXLS
So because there aren't many nuns its okay or am I misunderstanding. There shouldn't be a difference if you think about it the nun, regardless of whether there aren't many, is explicitly expressing her religious beliefs. So why is there a problem for the Muslims?

You don't usually see christian people wearing such stuff, while much more muslim people do dress like that and we are in a Christian country. But, I am against such religious stuff anyway, irrespectively of their religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JXLS
or your problem is someone following their religion thoroughly. Do you expect them to pick what parts they should and shouldn't follow because you 'don't like such explicit expression of someone's religious beliefs'

We are in the 21st century, just ****ing evolve already. Also, they shouldn't wear hijab in the majority non-muslim country, should keep their religion and culture to themselves, or GTFO.
I wouldn't approach you. There would be no point. I'm a young, white male. If you got caught talking to me, I'd presume you'd get beaten up.
They aren't in their home country, so they shouldn't promote their religion at all. It is their culture and I would like to see them keeping it on their homeland, not bringing it here. Also, I think that these should be banned in public places for the security measures e.g. you can't go into a shop with a motorcycle helmet on, that's for the purpose of identification. But there are no objections to women wearing hijab, because leftists are scared to offend these people (they seem to be offended by everything anyway).

many are in their home country... If your born here then its your home country...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It reinforces the idea that your not one of us and from a male point of view, its completely unflattering.

I believe the Sikhs wear fancy dress things, that's better.
People think you're "Burka Avenger"
As long as your face isn't covered I'm not that bothered about what you wear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest