The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArbinderSingh98
See it has to be a UDC, imo because redevelopment is not the same as regeneration so i think its like MDC or LDDC, urban splash is sheffield i used that for my urban decline question. just going t have to let it go

But the exam board cannot expect people to have specifically learnt an exact case studies that comes under city centre and regeneration though
Original post by Goulden_J
But the exam board cannot expect people to have specifically learnt an exact case studies that comes under city centre and regeneration though

i havent done a city centre regeneration i have redevelopment, which is confusing
Really worried I did the world cities 40 marker but I couldn't think of any cities which are completely unsustainable because most are trying to fix the problem
I wrote;
- Lots on Curitiba but focused a lot on Jamie Lerner's philosophy that sustainability can always be achieved, mainly used transport and waste
- London as trying to make way to become more sustainable and then Bedzed which should be an example
- Mumbai and their sustainable waste but the exploitation of the poor
- energy in the UK aiming to become like Iceland and Denmark

Do you think I'll be okay because it's not really balanced. I concluded saying that sustainability can only be achieved if we have a definition of when sustainability can ever be reached because there are always new ways to become even more sustainable.

So worried about this now
Surely if a lot of people complain about the World Cities 10 marker then AQA will be notified?
Reply 2344
Is anyone else seriously annoyed at AQA not only for the 10 marker in world cities, but the tectonics 40 marker?

This year was the first incidence since 2010, from what I've seen, that AQA have repeated the same topic for a 40 marker 2 years in a row, in an attempt to catch students off guard. The tectonics 40 marker from June 2015 was practically identical to the one they gave this year.
I for one revised seismic case studies more than I did volcanic case studies due to last years 40 marker being based purely on the effects of volcanic hazards.

For comparison:

June 2015:
‘Systems of prediction, preparation and prevention are so well developed, catastrophe isavoidable.’ In the context of volcanic hazards, discuss the extent to which you agree with this view.

June 2016 (As close to what I can remember):
'Advances in our knowledge, understanding and technology in recent years mean natural disasters are far less likely to cause death and destruction.' Discuss this view in the context of volcanic hazards.

Really annoying! I ended up doing the question anyway because I was not about to answer a weather 40 marker, and I actually did prefer this essay to the globalisation one. But still, the same year that they plan to give us a misleading world cities 10 marker, they throw in 40 markers identical to the year before.
The World Cities 10 mark question is arguably the most poorly worded and ambiguous question I have ever faced in an exam: "With reference to one or more examples, evaluate the impact of measures to regenerate town or city centres".

As can be seen from the specification points "Urban decline and regeneration within urban areas" and "Retailing and other services": http://imgur.com/7wxW8cM, there is no mention of 'regeneration' regarding city centres on the specification.

Therefore, using the specification, the question is open to two very contrasting interpretations:

1# Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'regeneration', but risk getting 0/10 since there is no reference to specifically 'regeneration' with regards to 'city centres' on the specification.

OR

2# Should the question have been answered as if it concerns 'city centres', but risk getting 0/10 since 'city centres' are only mentioned on the specification with regards to 'redevelopment' and NOT 'regeneration'.

This is an absolutely disgraceful question here, not only because the examiners knew it caused issues back in Jan 2013 #this is even MORE ambiguous# but also because the previous question #concerning urban decline# suggests that the 10 marker should have been answered regarding 'regeneration' and NOT 'redevelopment of city centres'.

Personally, I used Park Hill #a regeneration scheme# but I very fearful #like many other people#, that I will get 0/10 since it isn't specifically a 'city centre'. If anyone has anymore thoughts on this question please reply to me as I am very concerned right now. Thanks

This makes so much sense and I agree! The word 'regeneration' appears on the specification only with regard to 'Urban regeneration: gentrification, property-led etc..' Which would suggest they wanted us to write about one of those case studies, e.g. Docklands. This naturally would have been what many candidates did.

The part of the specification which refers to retail/city centres uses the word 'redevelopment', which they should have used in the question instead?

I think its an unfair, badly-worded and possible wrongly-worded question. They seem to have mixed up two separate sections of the specification..

I think its worth writing to AQA about? I'm certainly going to.
Original post by Atomicmat
Surely if a lot of people complain about the World Cities 10 marker then AQA will be notified?

I honestly think it's worth as many of us as possible writing to AQA? Makes sense.
Original post by lizzie997
I honestly think it's worth as many of us as possible writing to AQA? Makes sense.

Yes I agree! We should all totally do this. It's so out of order - why word questions so awkwardly when it can cost people 1 or 2 grades?!
Original post by lizzie997
This makes so much sense and I agree! The word 'regeneration' appears on the specification only with regard to 'Urban regeneration: gentrification, property-led etc..' Which would suggest they wanted us to write about one of those case studies, e.g. Docklands. This naturally would have been what many candidates did.

The part of the specification which refers to retail/city centres uses the word 'redevelopment', which they should have used in the question instead?

I think its an unfair, badly-worded and possible wrongly-worded question. They seem to have mixed up two separate sections of the specification..

I think its worth writing to AQA about? I'm certainly going to.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if what I wrote made sense. To be perfectly honest, the question was extremely misleading and as you say wrongly-worded. Questions are supposed to be written coherently enough that we can actually figure out what they want. It would also make sense that they wanted a regeneration scheme since they asked about urban decline in the previous question, which makes it even more misleading how they've used 'city centre'.

Thats an excellent idea to write to AQA, what email address will you be sending a complaint to, and I'll do the same
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes I agree! We should all totally do this. It's so out of order - why word questions so awkwardly when it can cost people 1 or 2 grades?!

That one question could well be the difference between me going to my university of choice or not and yes I agree they need to be told about this
Original post by Mwo
Is anyone else seriously annoyed at AQA not only for the 10 marker in world cities, but the tectonics 40 marker?

This year was the first incidence since 2010, from what I've seen, that AQA have repeated the same topic for a 40 marker 2 years in a row, in an attempt to catch students off guard. The tectonics 40 marker from June 2015 was practically identical to the one they gave this year.
I for one revised seismic case studies more than I did volcanic case studies due to last years 40 marker being based purely on the effects of volcanic hazards.

For comparison:

June 2015:
‘Systems of prediction, preparation and prevention are so well developed, catastrophe isavoidable.’ In the context of volcanic hazards, discuss the extent to which you agree with this view.

'Advances in our knowledge, understanding and technology in recent years mean natural disasters are far less likely to cause death and destruction.' Discuss this view in the context of volcanic hazards.

Really annoying! I ended up doing the question anyway because I was not about to answer a weather 40 marker, and I actually did prefer this essay to the globalisation one. But still, the same year that they plan to give us a misleading world cities 10 marker, they throw in 40 markers identical to the year before.

Obviously you're allowed to be annoyed at AQA but it's not like they're not allowed to ask the same question two years in a row
Reply 2351
Obviously you're allowed to be annoyed at AQA but it's not like they're not allowed to ask the same question two years in a row

It's true and they've not done anything outside of their guidelines in regard to this 40 marker in particular, I was just curious if anyone else felt that this was both sneaky and purposefully deceptive considering that they've always alternated for all of the 6 topics and this year they didn't.
I wrote about London Thames gateway regeneration project ! Was this right??
I didn't do London Docklands because thats reurbanisation
Original post by L1lly
I wrote about London Thames gateway regeneration project ! Was this right??
I didn't do London Docklands because thats reurbanisation

London Docklands is also regeneration.
We could use this email? [email protected] or this one [email protected]?

I'm really not sure if these are the right ones to use or not..
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, I wasn't sure if what I wrote made sense. To be perfectly honest, the question was extremely misleading and as you say wrongly-worded. Questions are supposed to be written coherently enough that we can actually figure out what they want. It would also make sense that they wanted a regeneration scheme since they asked about urban decline in the previous question, which makes it even more misleading how they've used 'city centre'.

Thats an excellent idea to write to AQA, what email address will you be sending a complaint to, and I'll do the same

I wasn't sure which one but this one is their 'Exams Office Support' which seems most appropriate- [email protected]

(I'm just going to ask them in the email to redirect it to the appropriate person if its the wrong address to use).

I'm also going to talk to my teacher about it and hopefully she will also contact them. The more people who do the better!
Is there a thread for geog4a??? Does anyone have any predictions for the fieldwork questions or skills figures?
London Docklands is also regeneration.

Yeah I know, it's just the revision guide had it as re urbanisation so I went for Thames Gateway because it was written specifically but it includes docklands too, so it should be fine I'm hoping
Original post by L1lly
Yeah I know, it's just the revision guide had it as re urbanisation so I went for Thames Gateway because it was written specifically but it includes docklands too, so it should be fine I'm hoping

Yeah, the CGP had two property-led I believe.
Original post by Mwo

For comparison:

June 2015:

What absolute rubbish.

AQA give you the specification. The spec included volcanoes....therefore you should have revised volcanoes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending