The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Are my grades good enough for Bsc Economics at LSE

hello,

I'm a year 13 student and would benefit from some advice on the LSE application procedure as their website isn't very good at it. I achieved 6A*s 3As 2 Bs and 3 distinctions (A*s in a computer science course) at a below average performing school. Do LSE look at GCSE scores compared to your schools average GCSE score?

At AS I have got 4 As, i took Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics
my ums are as follows:

Maths and Further: A
C1: 98/100
C2: 100/100
C3: 100/100
M1: 95/100
FP1: 80/100 :frown: retaking
S1: 78/100 :frown:

Econ: A
Micro: 90/100
Macro: 94/100

Chem: A
paper1: 78/90
paper2: 132/150
coursework: 48/60

Phys: A
paper1: 59/90 --> hahahaa
paper2: 130/150
coursework: 54/60

I would like to know do LSE ask for UMS for every applicant and if so will it be module wise? Also are my ums on the lower side of applicants and would it be better to apply to Maths and Economics at LSE? I know LSE place strong emphasis on Personal statement, for the Maths and Economics do they want a ps balanced so you talk about econ and maths half and half?

Sorry for this essay of a question but would appreciate if at least some of my doubts were cleared :smile:

Regards,
Rahul

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi there, I personally didn't get good GCSE's but went to LSE. I think that your GCSE's are really good and meet LSE's general criteria.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Yes, my BF didn't do as well in his GCSE's as you did, but did well in his A-levels and got into LSE>
Original post by RahulJAG
hello,

I'm a year 13 student and would benefit from some advice on the LSE application procedure as their website isn't very good at it. I achieved 6A*s 3As 2 Bs and 3 distinctions (A*s in a computer science course) at a below average performing school. Do LSE look at GCSE scores compared to your schools average GCSE score?

At AS I have got 4 As, i took Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics
my ums are as follows:

Maths and Further: A
C1: 98/100
C2: 100/100
C3: 100/100
M1: 95/100
FP1: 80/100 :frown: retaking
S1: 78/100 :frown:

Econ: A
Micro: 90/100
Macro: 94/100

Chem: A
paper1: 78/90
paper2: 132/150
coursework: 48/60

Phys: A
paper1: 59/90 --> hahahaa
paper2: 130/150
coursework: 54/60

I would like to know do LSE ask for UMS for every applicant and if so will it be module wise? Also are my ums on the lower side of applicants and would it be better to apply to Maths and Economics at LSE? I know LSE place strong emphasis on Personal statement, for the Maths and Economics do they want a ps balanced so you talk about econ and maths half and half?

Sorry for this essay of a question but would appreciate if at least some of my doubts were cleared :smile:

Regards,
Rahul

Reminds me of my maths scores ahah.
Reply 4
But are the results good enough for LSE Economics looking at the statistics they have a lot of people applying 2000 ish and they take in 230. I like Maths and i like Economics so i am indifferent in applying to Maths and Econ or Econ, and if IB firms just look at LSE and not care much about the course wouldn't it make sense to apply for a course in LSE that is easier to get into?
(edited 8 years ago)
Wowwwww how did you achieve such amazing math grades? Did you revise from the start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover
hi there, I personally didn't get good GCSE's but went to LSE. I think that your GCSE's are really good and meet LSE's general criteria.

What GCSES did u get? Do u think u can get in with mainly Bs at gcse but As at a level?
Reply 7
two words --> Past papers!!

past papers are bae when it comes to maths, i can't believe i choked on FP1 and S1 they should have been so much higher but i can't do anything about it now ffs -__- :|
Original post by cathartic
Wowwwww how did you achieve such amazing math grades? Did you revise from the start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by cathartic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Keisha_99
What GCSES did u get? Do u think u can get in with mainly Bs at gcse but As at a level?

I got mainly C's at GCSE, but had extenuating circumstances

I got 3 A's at AS level/3 A* predictions and a strong personal statement, which is what I think they used to decide my application with.
Reply 9
Original post by MJlover

I got 3 A's at AS level/3 A* predictions and a strong personal statement, which is what I think they used to decide my application with.

what did u use to revise for economics "micro"
Original post by MJlover

Ok. What a levels did u do?
Original post by Synonym
what did u use to revise for economics "micro"

I study History at the LSE, not economics :smile: never studied it before.
Original post by Keisha_99
Ok. What a levels did u do?

English Lit, History, Sociology.
Reply 13
Any LSE students studying BSc Economics think that with my results (in the first post) it is a safer bet to apply Maths and/with Econ to maximise chances of getting in to LSE.

I am asking this because I feel due to the sheer number applying to econ at LSE any small differences in the profile of a candidate will be taken into account, for example someone with higher FP1 or S1 scores than me.

Thanks in advance.
Any LSE students studying BSc Economics think that with my results (in the first post) it is a safer bet to apply Maths and/with Econ to maximise chances of getting in to LSE.

I am asking this because I feel due to the sheer number applying to econ at LSE any small differences in the profile of a candidate will be taken into account, for example someone with higher FP1 or S1 scores than me.

Thanks in advance.

You should have a decent chance at straight econ or math+econ IMO. Personally I am I am applying to maths+econ because I am more interested in abstract maths/econometrics.
Reply 15
Fair enough good luck bro, I'm gonna read up on that because as of yet I haven't formed an opinion on abstract maths. Are you looking into IB or MC as a career choice? If so do you think employers will not care what course as long as you get into the target unis.
Original post by MJlover

What did u get
two words --> Past papers!!

past papers are bae when it comes to maths, i can't believe i choked on FP1 and S1 they should have been so much higher but i can't do anything about it now ffs -__- :|

I was the opposite way around to you, i did ***** in c1 and c2, and better in s1. Im retaking c1 and c2 this year
I'm looking to apply to read economics at LSE.

GCSE: 10A*, 2A's
AS: Maths - 95.33% average across (C1,S1,C2)
F.Maths - (No grade this year) (M1 94, C3 70, M2 73, S2 83) (Maybe able to not show some of those modules if need be?)
Econ - 88%
Chemistry - 88%
Physics - 96.33%
Critical Thinking - A
General Studies - A
(Doing EPQ: should governments break up monopolies?)
A* predictions in basically all.
Do you think it's worth me applying, because my Econ mark is relatively low etc I have done lots of super-curricular work towards Econ.

Also in UCAS module mrks won't be shown for me. But in teacher references the best marks of those above will be shown only...

SO what are my chances?

Thanks
Reply 19
I have heard my grades are apparently almost borderline for BSc Economics at LSE, so is it safer to apply to Maths and Econ at LSE as it is easier to get into compared to economics. I am just wondering because i would like the flexibility LSE econ offers in the first year compared to Maths and econ, but overall i would like to maximise my chances for LSE.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending