The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Sale! Sale! EVERYTHING MUST GO.

Considering how many we're gonna sell, do you see us splashing out on another £30m+ signing this window or do you reckon Klopp will bide his time a little?

I feel like without Europe, this is a great opportunity for us in the league.
It's gonna be extremely competitive, but I feel like we have a good chance for a solid top 4 challenge.
Original post by Zerforax
Haha it is a bit like that. Tbh we've ended up with a bloated first team squad and then a number of youngsters who won't make it either.

Surely over a dozen players will leave this summer?

You'd imagine so.

We've already got rid of seven - Enrique, Kolo, Rossiter, Sinclair, Vigouroux, Yesil, Teixeira - and then you can probably add Benteke, Balotelli, Skrtel and Ibe to that, and maybe Allen.

Ibe's reportedly willing to wait on the Bournemouth deal, and he's looking to assess any other offers that come in.

Ward, meanwhile, will be going to Huddersfield on loan apparently.*
Alex Manninger, former Arsenal GK, training with LFC, could be signed as a 3rd choice behind Mignolet and Karius. Would possibly be the end of Bodgan.
Original post by mr tim
Alex Manninger, former Arsenal GK, training with LFC, could be signed as a 3rd choice behind Mignolet and Karius. Would possibly be the end of Bodgan.

He's bloody 39.
Original post by Federerr
He's bloody 39.

Quite common for a 3rd choice GK. How often has a 3rd choice GK played for us? Even Bogdan as 2nd choice only got 6 appearances (3 of which were in the league cup).
Benteke's agent tells Sky Sports that his client is not in the brink of leaving Liverpool and is happy to stay. We'll see how long that is for.
Original post by Lúcio
Considering how many we're gonna sell, do you see us splashing out on another £30m+ signing this window or do you reckon Klopp will bide his time a little?

Only if Klopp really wants him. We know, given the contract extension, we're practically at the mercy of Klopp's transfer desires and dealings. He's the man, everything runs through him, and he'll only splash the cash if he sees a hole to plug. He's made noises suggesting he's happy with the forward line, so I can't see us spending £30m on any position really.

I think it's more likely we spend on a central midfielder to give us something different in the middle of the park.*
Original post by Mackay
Only if Klopp really wants him. We know, given the contract extension, we're practically at the mercy of Klopp's transfer desires and dealings. He's the man, everything runs through him, and he'll only splash the cash if he sees a hole to plug. He's made noises suggesting he's happy with the forward line, so I can't see us spending £30m on any position really.

I think it's more likely we spend on a central midfielder to give us something different in the middle of the park.*

I'm not sure Klopp is that guy though? At Dortmund there was a proper structure in place e.g. around recruitment so it's not like Klopp had to do everything. Compared that with someone like Benitez.

I could see us splashing 20-30mil on Gotze if he decides he wants to move. Maybe 30mil+ on Dahoud if the deal is going to happen this summer?
I'm not sure Klopp is that guy though? At Dortmund there was a proper structure in place e.g. around recruitment so it's not like Klopp had to do everything. Compared that with someone like Benitez.

I could see us splashing 20-30mil on Gotze if he decides he wants to move. Maybe 30mil+ on Dahoud if the deal is going to happen this summer?

We'd be mad to spend that on Dahoud, to be honest.*

And I can't see Gotze joining us. All the noises are that it was either him or Mane.*
James Pearce from the Echo said we've ended our interest in Gotze and Klopp no longer wants him now that we have Mane. Apparently, Tottenham and Dortmund are interested in Gotze.

I really can't wait till the season starts, we should race out of the blocks-literally since preseason will be intense! I'm actually getting excited to see Mane play, he really offers us an extra dimension with his blistering pace. I was pretty underwhelmed when we were linked to him but I have a lot of faith in Klopp's abilities to coach players and bring out the best in them.
Yeah, plenty of noises coming out suggesting it was either Gotze or Mane, not both. With the latter obviously wanting a move to us, and the relatively straightforward negotiation, it's churlish to suggest we should've waited for Gotze, which isn't a sure thing.

Dortmund were not in a good shape before Klopp came in. Not a coincidence that they suddenly improved when Klopp came in along with Buvac and Krawietz who both also followed Klopp to Liverpool. It's fair to say that the three of them contributed to developing Dortmunds structure but to what extent is hard to say and it remains to be seen whether they can do the same at Liverpool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Dortmund were not in a good shape before Klopp came in. Not a coincidence that they suddenly improved when Klopp came in along with Buvac and Krawietz who both also followed Klopp to Liverpool. It's fair to say that the three of them contributed to developing Dortmunds structure but to what extent is hard to say and it remains to be seen whether they can do the same at Liverpool.

Wtf ? Dortmund have always been a BIG team in bundesliga. Yes they were in bad shape when klopp came about, but the same klopp left them in a critical condition. And the current Dortmund manager improved them again. It's a cycle of football man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samir12

Hmm I'll try to dig out the details/article but off the top of my head, I think it was that Dortmund were in a bad shape financially but the club put a lot of bits together - Klopp didn't have control over everything at Dortmund and there were others such as Michael Zorc (who was a player before and then became sporting director at Dortmund from 1998) who had a big role in other parts like player recruitment.
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Wtf ? Dortmund have always been a BIG team in bundesliga. Yes they were in bad shape when klopp came about, but the same klopp left them in a critical condition. And the current Dortmund manager improved them again. It's a cycle of football man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Critical condition? They had one bad season which were plagued with injuries and it was easier for the current manager to improve as he inherited a good squad. Dortmund were in a far worse shape before Klopp came in and the squad was subjected to a lot of changes since then, it's not like they had a one off bad season back then, for a few seasons they were consistently where Liverpool are now except that they didn't piss away money like we do because they had nothing to spend.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm I'll try to dig out the details/article but off the top of my head, I think it was that Dortmund were in a bad shape financially but the club put a lot of bits together - Klopp didn't have control over everything at Dortmund and there were others such as Michael Zorc (who was a player before and then became sporting director at Dortmund from 1998) who had a big role in other parts like player recruitment.

Yh think Dortmund had a DOF in charge of transfers but it was clear that the the scouting and recruiting team worked well in synch with Klopp and his assistent coaches compared to Rodgers and the transfer commitee which was a debacle in all honestly. Let's hope the same doesn't happen with Klopp and the commitee (think Klopp wanted Liverpool to have a DOF but FSG said no?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Ibe has agreed personal terms with Bournemouth and said his goodbyes at Melwood. Expected to sign later this week.
Original post by mr tim
Ibe has agreed personal terms with Bournemouth and said his goodbyes at Melwood. Expected to sign later this week.

mr tim - when I've seen that you've posted, it always fill me with apprehension since I never know if it will be good news or bad news..

:colondollar:
mr tim is defo a basement dwelling virgin
Original post by samir12
Yh think Dortmund had a DOF in charge of transfers but it was clear that the the scouting and recruiting team worked well in synch with Klopp and his assistent coaches compared to Rodgers and the transfer commitee which was a debacle in all honestly. Let's hope the same doesn't happen with Klopp and the commitee (think Klopp wanted Liverpool to have a DOF but FSG said no?)

But that again points to the fact that Dortmund had the right structure in place and you can't credit everything good at Dortmund on Klopp.

Latest