The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Ask a current student - University of Bath

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U-GradeStudent
A question about freshers - do most people only buy the official SU freshers wristband or do lots of people attend the unofficial events in the city? (Don’t want to be missing out on anything!!)

Get the official one only. Honestly, the unofficial ones are terrible. I'm a fifth year student and I help run Freshers' Week at Bath - so I've seen the process five times now. The official wristband is all you need (and well worth it even if you're not big into partying), the unofficial ones are not worth it.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hey - just finished my first year as a Maths student. Feel free to ask me anything :smile:
Original post by britishtf2
Hey - just finished my first year as a Maths student. Feel free to ask me anything :smile:

How did you find it? Which options did you pick for second year?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
How did you find it? Which options did you pick for second year?

It was good. Grade was meh but didn’t actually do much work (mainly in first semester, but not enough for second either), so it could have been higher (esp Alg 1A). I picked the ones needed for Bsc and then the two physics modules (waves and quantum)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by britishtf2
It was good. Grade was meh but didn’t actually do much work (mainly in first semester, but not enough for second either), so it could have been higher (esp Alg 1A). I picked the ones needed for Bsc and then the two physics modules (waves and quantum)

Ah, fairs. Corporate finance if they still offer it is a really easy option for maths students :lol: and if it's any consolation, Alg 1B is the most difficult/worst compulsory unit you'll study Anaylsis 2B isn't far behind but they removed that very recently. Good luck with next year.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Ah, fairs. Corporate finance if they still offer it is a really easy option for maths students :lol: and if it's any consolation, Alg 1B is the most difficult/worst compulsory unit you'll study Anaylsis 2B isn't far behind but they removed that very recently. Good luck with next year.

Ah cool. I actually didn’t find Alg 2b that hard, especially after revision. Algebra is my favourite and probably best module though.
Can you get wifi anywhere on campus?
Original post by RThom12
Can you get wifi anywhere on campus?

You can get WiFi pretty much anywhere using the network called EduRoam which should also allow you to access WiFi at other Unis too. People used to moan about EduRoam but it's got a lot better since I started as a Fresher and I've not had many issues with it at all in the last couple of years.

The Bath Uni Computing Services website has guides on getting registered.
Reply 228
Original post by jubjamie
You can get WiFi pretty much anywhere using the network called EduRoam which should also allow you to access WiFi at other Unis too. People used to moan about EduRoam but it's got a lot better since I started as a Fresher and I've not had many issues with it at all in the last couple of years.

The Bath Uni Computing Services website has guides on getting registered.

Bit of a wierd question but do you know if steam is blocked?
Original post by ryyzed

Nothing is blocked afaik
Original post by ryyzed

Steam is not blocked. If you use ethernet, it is 100/100 up/down.
Does anoyne know if coffee machines are a no no in the accomodation? I've heard you can get away with it but I'm not sure. Not a complex pod one just like one with a filter.
Original post by j.ulia_b
Does anoyne know if coffee machines are a no no in the accomodation? I've heard you can get away with it but I'm not sure. Not a complex pod one just like one with a filter.

I know someone who had a coffee machine this year in their room and after a few months he eventually got told to get rid. Not sure what the limit is but I guess if it's in the kitchen it's less of a faff. The T&C's are a bit vague on this kind of thing but at a minimum it must be a legit appliance with all the safety markings etc. If they don't want in there they'll tell you and you'll have to find somewhere to put it/take it home etc. You'll learn the the accommodation team are a funny beast and that nothing is really certain, nor is everything enforced.

Full T&C's here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/student-accommodation-terms-and-conditions/attachments/terms-and-conditions-for-student-accommodation-2017-2018.pdf

In short, I would take it with you and see how long you can keep it there for, shouldn't really be an issue. I've found it varies by accommodation staff member. Worst thing they'll do is say, get rid please.
Reply 233
For maths are you given notes or would you have to make them yourself and are lectures recorded?
Original post by ryyzed
For maths are you given notes or would you have to make them yourself and are lectures recorded?

Some modules, notes are handed to you in the first lecturer in their 80 pages of glory. Others, typed or handwritten notes are uploaded before, but mostly after the lecture. No notes are ever complete without writing extra stuff down, if only to benefit your own understanding. Rarely, some have blanks that you have to fill in.

Some lectures are recorded, but not all. Only a small fraction (maybe under 20%) were recorded. After 1st year I stopped going to most of them and I did okay - but it takes great discipline to self study.
Hey I was wondering if there is a gym in a uni accommodation or somewhere nearby? And would one have to pay?
Original post by Quyen_3
Hey I was wondering if there is a gym in a uni accommodation or somewhere nearby? And would one have to pay?

There is the main gym in the Sports Training Village at the east eas of campus. Not really that far a walk from anywhere. You do have to buy membership and there are different types. You can look them on the team bath website I believe.
Original post by Quyen_3

Gym costs 230-300 a year depending on if you want a full or Off-peak membership. It's pretty pricey but Bath has 0 budget gyms so it's all we've got. Not a bad gym though, good equipment and a short walk from most accommodation.
Original post by Quyen_3

Hi,
I'm currently a second year Natural Sciences student at Bath.

As a few others have said, we do have the Sports Training Village (STV) that has a fully equipped gym (which is going to be expanded) as well as other facilities such as an Olympic Legacy pool, a dojo, sports courts, running tracks, physiotherapists and a sports cafe. You can find out about the facilities here. They also run classes such as yoga, zumba and spinning.

If you plan on being on a sports team at Bath, you will end up training at the STV and getting a discounted gym membership there. The STV is also the most convenient place for first years who live on campus, as it is only a short walk from the campus accommodation.

The student memberships for the STV are £289 (peak) or £239 (off-peak) for the year, so £20-25 a month. This isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than a lot of gyms. The gym is, however, used by the sports teams and mostly more experienced gym-goers, so it can be quite intimidating if you are only just starting in the gym. If you didn't want the full membership, you can pay for single classes or personal training sessions. Students also get 15% off physiotherapy sessions. More information can be found here.

However, students have a Sports Pass automatically included on their library card which gives you access to facilities such as the pool, tennis, squash and badminton courts, athletics tracks, astro pitches and indoor spots halls at no additional cost. Essentially this means students can use certain facilities and book out courts for free. This may have changed this year, but when I was in first year (2017/2018) the Sports Pass allowed you access to facilities but you had to bring your own equipment. If you paid for a sports team or gym membership you could use the equipment. As I wasn't on a sports team, I paid £10 for the SU Sports Membership and this meant I could also use the equipment as much as I wanted throughout the year.

The STV definitely gives a range of options depending on what you're looking for, and is a solid choice for first year students, especially if you live on campus.

If you live in city accommodation, or in 2nd year onwards when you live in town, there are a range of gyms in town to choose from at a variety of price ranges. There are some smaller gyms at a lower price, but these are obviously not as well equipped. The Better Sports & Leisure Centre has a fairly affordable gym which has a pool, and Fitness First is probably the best all round option (although it is slightly more expensive) as the membership includes use of all gym facilities, the pool, sauna, steam room and access to all of the classes. The range of classes at Fitness First is massive, from Zumba and Yoga, to Bootcamp and Core. The gyms in town are probably a better option if you are only just starting out in the gym, as there will be a wider range of people there so you'll feel less intimidated than at the STV.

I hope this has helped answer your question! Let me know if you have any other questions,
Eryn, a second year Natural Sciences student
How difficult is it to find reasonably priced housing for second year? I’m deciding between Birmingham and Bath at the moment and from what I’ve seen, Bath can be quite pricey! Is there the option to live in halls at all after first year ?

Quick Reply

Latest