The Student Room Group

Self teaching A levals?!

After a really hard time at college I decided to study my A levals at home. I did some research and saw people were mainly using AQA so I checked it out and saw there was only one school that did private candidate in my area. When I called they Immedialty said no and directed me to an exam centre. This is where I'm getting confused. This exam centre is basically the school and college who you pay £80 per exam with a £50 deposit before anything but that's it no lesson plan no guidance into what you need to study! I'm really confused and worried that its a scam. Any help?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
What is "A leval"? Is it a new qualification?
Original post by Bgr11229
After a really hard time at college I decided to study my A levals at home. I did some research and saw people were mainly using AQA so I checked it out and saw there was only one school that did private candidate in my area. When I called they Immedialty said no and directed me to an exam centre. This is where I'm getting confused. This exam centre is basically the school and college who you pay £80 per exam with a £50 deposit before anything but that's it no lesson plan no guidance into what you need to study! I'm really confused and worried that its a scam. Any help?

Sitting an exam as a private candidate is just that - no lesson plan, no guidance into what you need to study. You do all that yourself and then turn up to sit the exam at the appropriate time and place. If in doubt, check their website. It's usually possible to tell a scam from a genuine school/college just by looking at it because it's often poorly designed, the quality of written English is unprofessional and you get a pop-up message offering you some incentive to stay if you try to close the tab/window or leave the page otherwise.

Worst case scenario: actually go to the school and talk to the exams officer. It's very unlikely that they're running a scam elaborate enough to have an actual school/college premises with students in it.

Hope this helps.
Hey, i self studied, you pay the fees and when exam time tables are published they get sent to you. Other than that your on your own; atleast i was.... But it was no big deal, read the websites carefull on specifications and get the corrrect text book. I ended up with A*AB in maths , further maths and physics. Its possible to do well on your own that is for sure

Not bothered on spell checking ad im on my phone, lazyness got me that B haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I self-taught Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Philosophy and came out with AAB (B in Philosophy). I'm now a Fresher at Royal Holloway studying Computer Science. It is definitely possible, but you must understand that it will be expensive - my exams cost close to £1k in total, and you will receive no guidance whatsoever - you must simply look at the syllabus, get some internet resources, join study groups on forums, and work very hard.
Reply 6
Original post by VannR
I self-taught Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Philosophy and came out with AAB (B in Philosophy). I'm now a Fresher at Royal Holloway studying Computer Science. It is definitely possible, but you must understand that it will be expensive - my exams cost close to £1k in total, and you will receive no guidance whatsoever - you must simply look at the syllabus, get some internet resources, join study groups on forums, and work very hard.

You never replied to my last VM :frown: Was really looking for some genuine advice/insight.

Quick Reply

Latest