The Student Room Group

How to write an english commentary

Hey everyone,

I'll be writing my final exams soon, and still don't know how to write an english commentary on a text. I've discovered that there is a very thin line between commenting on the language and commenting on the content (which doesn't give me any marks). How do I avoid this? Also, what aspects of the structure can I comment on? Lastly, our teacher taught us to link every point to a central perspective to give your essay coherence. How do I do this? Any tips?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rubinho123ajax
Hey everyone,

I'll be writing my final exams soon, and still don't know how to write an english commentary on a text. I've discovered that there is a very thin line between commenting on the language and commenting on the content (which doesn't give me any marks). How do I avoid this? Also, what aspects of the structure can I comment on? Lastly, our teacher taught us to link every point to a central perspective to give your essay coherence. How do I do this? Any tips?

It'd be easier if you had an example tbh? Your questions are really broad. If you really want help with this, it would be better if you could find an example of a text that you might analyse (a passage, or a poem, or whatever), comment on it like you would normally, and then maybe we can tell you where you're going wrong, or where you need to analyse further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending