The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics - Need to get a B...

Hello Guys,

So, its 2.5 days before the exam for AQA AS Physics - so far I did unit 1 in Jan and only got 72/105 (missed a B by 3 marks....) and feel like I did pretty well in the practical unit (hopefully 75+/90) - Im resitting unit 1 and taking unit 2 - and I really could do with getting a B overall - which means 210+/300

So obviously a few days solid revision are going to help - but could anyone give me any hints with physics papers, some websites that may help or just any advice to a struggling physics student!

Cheers,

Tom
Reply 1
I found the 'letts' revision guide useful. Which specification are you doing? I'm doing specification A, and in that module 2 was mechanics, which most people found easier than module 1. From my experience, they often ask very similar questions for all the module 2 papers, so one thing I used to do was look at the mark scheme (available on the AQA website) and learn the exam board's answer for a particular question that comes up a lot. That way you can answer it quickly and confidently and free up time for later, if you struggle to finish in time (which I often do!). Apart from that, all I can say is always remember to write the units down in your answers (ie instead of 18 write 18J) because apparently they don't always give you the mark if you have the right numerical answer but haven't stated the units. Oh and another thing, get the specification (syllabus) from the website and make sure you can do everything it says.

Sorry for waffling on.
Don't worry, AQA only penalise you once in the whole paper for missing off a unit. Similarly, they only penalise once for a SF error, so I wouldn't stress over those aspects of the exam.
Reply 4
That's one thing I hate about AQA- sig. figs!!! They are so inconsistent with them it's unbelievable. But if it's only a mark or 2 off then its not too bad. I always give to the same no. of sig figs as the question has (which they expect you to do) and even then you end up with a different answer to them!
I know! This is what happens when they let Physics teachers write exam papers! :wink: It's awful, there's no consistency at all! Thankfully they can only deduct a max of 1 mark for SF errors.
Reply 6
A software package I think is useful for revision purposes is "SURE Higher Physics"...

Latest

Trending

Trending