The Student Room Group

School (NEARLY)forcing me to take an extra AS?

My school insists that I do my home language for AS Level however I never went to school in my home country so I don't have enough words and knowledge to do it and also I was never taught the subject at school. I barely passed English Language at a C at GCSE, eventhough I lived in England for 10 years now so no way I'm going to pass AS in my home language. I'm also very busy because I have to help out a lot at home and most nights I'm doing homework/revision- so I don't have any more time- doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Philosophy+Ethics. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

It'll be an easy A for you.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
It'll be an easy A for you.

But I was never taught to write or anything in that language.
Original post by parrot16
My school insists that I do my home language for AS Level however I never went to school in my home country so I don't have enough words and knowledge to do it and also I was never taught the subject at school. I barely passed English Language at a C at GCSE, eventhough I lived in England for 10 years now so no way I'm going to pass AS in my home language. I'm also very busy because I have to help out a lot at home and most nights I'm doing homework/revision- so I don't have any more time- doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Philosophy+Ethics. What do I do?

Explain what you've explained here, but I guess you've done that already.

Who is it that's insisting on it? Maybe you can take it higher up.
Original post by SeanFM
Explain what you've explained here, but I guess you've done that already.

Who is it that's insisting on it? Maybe you can take it higher up.

My form tutor.
My form tutor.

I suppose you could talk to your head of year about it, or maybe there's someone who kind of supports in general that you can talk to and have them fight your case for you?
Original post by SeanFM
I suppose you could talk to your head of year about it, or maybe there's someone who kind of supports in general that you can talk to and have them fight your case for you?

Ok Ill try.My mum is emailing the head of year as well.
Ok Ill try.My mum is emailing the head of year as well.

Okay, I hope it works out for you in the end. :borat:
Original post by SeanFM
Okay, I hope it works out for you in the end. :borat:

Ok thanks.

You are already doing 4 - I teach in a high achieving school and no-one is doing 5.

You need to aim for top grades in these 4 - new specifications are linear so it'll be enough of a challenge.

They can't make you.
Reply 10
did you do GCSE in you home language?
Original post by Muttley79
You are already doing 4 - I teach in a high achieving school and no-one is doing 5.

You need to aim for top grades in these 4 - new specifications are linear so it'll be enough of a challenge.

They can't make you.

I know, Im trying to get top grades for the 4 but the school insists that its better for me to have more UCAS point- but I will fail that extra AS anyway? What can I do if they do make me?
Original post by raghad.
did you do GCSE in you home language?

No and I was never taught it.
I know, Im trying to get top grades for the 4 but the school insists that its better for me to have more UCAS point- but I will fail that extra AS anyway? What can I do if they do make me?

UCAS points are not worth it - virtually all unis offer on A level grades.

Seriously they can't make you study it ... get your parents to write and then to Governors if they won't budge. This is not in YOUR best interests.
UCAS points are not worth it - virtually all unis offer on A level grades.

Seriously they can't make you study it ... get your parents to write and then to Governors if they won't budge. This is not in YOUR best interests.

I know, And the university I plan to go to only cares about my grades not points(I checked it out online). I am getting my mum to email my head of year. Thanks for the advice, But I don't understand whats it with all the UCAS points then?
I know, And the university I plan to go to only cares about my grades not points(I checked it out online). I am getting my mum to email my head of year. Thanks for the advice, But I don't understand whats it with all the UCAS points then?

I would guess that the school is 'chasing' the league table position and wants to improve the 'total points per student' measure i.e. they are thinking solely about themselves.
I would guess that the school is 'chasing' the league table position and wants to improve the 'total points per student' measure i.e. they are thinking solely about themselves.

Ok thanks.
Reply 17
No and I was never taught it.

have you looked at past papers? you might find it easy :smile:
Original post by raghad.
have you looked at past papers? you might find it easy :smile:

There is no point in 5 A levels .. OP needs to focus on what is needed for the uni course wanted.
Reply 19
I really hope they don't make you do something you don't want to, so I hope that is sorted out. Doing 5 A levels is very tough, a few people in my year are going in for it, but it's not recommended... However, if you do go in for it/ end up doing it, I really think that you would be fine. It would likely be a tough few weeks, but as you can speak it fluently, I think it's a case of learning what the sounds look like written down, if that makes any sense. Also, you must bear in mind that a foreign language AS is nothing like an English Language AS/GCSE, the heart of it is being able to communicate clearly about certain topics (TV, health, sports, holidays etc). Once you get those reading and writing skills, you've nailed it. There is somebody in my foreign language class who was fluent in speaking, but had never learnt how to write it. Their writing skills are good already, and as no effort is being expended on speaking and listening, time can really be focused on what is needed.

I hope your form tutor comes to their senses and stops trying to force you!

Quick Reply

Latest