The Student Room Group

What A-Levels Should I Choose To Study Medicine

Hi, I am in Year 11 and I am soon to be choosing my A-Levels. I want to study medicine at university, so I want to make sure I choose the best possible courses for my AS/A Levels.

For med school chemistry is required, so that is definitely one of my choices, along with biology.

Any suggestions for my other two courses would be appreciated, and any other advice about A Levels in general. 😊
Hello!

I'm hoping to study medicine and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics, however these are just my personal preferences! Any of these subjects would be worth while considering:
- Biology (Very good idea :biggrin:)
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Maths
- psychology
- English
- MFL
- History
Reply 2
While I don't do (or intend to do) medicine, have seen this come up a few times and from what I've seen elsewhere...

The "best" thing to take would be chemistry biology physics maths. However this isn't obviously practical for all people, so I think it's advised to take chemistry biology definitely, and then ideally physics or maths for 3rd, and then the 4th doesn't really matter too much. But if you thought you were capable of it I think they're the subjects that are seen as best for medicine
Well you could always consider Physics/Maths, however you could do other traditional and facilitating subjects like History, Geography, English Literature, any Modern/Classical Foreign Languages, Psychology, etc.
Biology - disease and the human body
Chemistry - understanding the drugs used in operations and medicine
Physics - think about MRI scans and the big machines in hospitals
Psychology - understanding the mind and its connection to the body and in healing itself

Math is important for helping you understand the other subjects better but not a must.
Original post by frizz2000
Hi, I am in Year 11 and I am soon to be choosing my A-Levels. I want to study medicine at university, so I want to make sure I choose the best possible courses for my AS/A Levels.

For med school chemistry is required, so that is definitely one of my choices, along with biology.

Any suggestions for my other two courses would be appreciated, and any other advice about A Levels in general. 😊

Hello I am a first year medic studying at cardiff university!

You 100% need to take biology and chemistry, as this is not only required by most universities, but it gets you up to speed on what you need to know for med school!

I would then choose a third facilitating subject such as geography, history, maths, economics, languages, english, physics etc.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THE THREE SCIENCES AND MATHS!! it is not a requirement and it does not make you any stronger of an applicant at all!

choose bio and chem and then choose 2 more Alevels you like!
Reply 6
Second year chemist from Cardiff University. I highly advise you take Biology and Chemistry, physics also helps during the course however wont make you a stronger choice during selection for the course.

Pychology is a rough subject to take alongside Chemistry and Biology though due to the large number of Essays you are required to learn.

Personally I would advise Bio, Chem, Maths as your main 3 with a language or a humanityies course as a 4th.

The reason I include math is because if you find your passion to be chemistry or Biology instead of Medicine then you will find those respective degrees easier with a Math A level
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I have a question why does it matter whether you pick facilitating subjects or not? I mean, they could be completely irrelevant?

Would a good combination not be; Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Physical Education(PE)?

I know Psyc and PE are not seen as 'strong' subjects but wouldn't they be a lot more relevant than subjects like English and History which are deemed facilitating? Also I understand that Maths and Physics are the obvious choices but for someone who isnt mathematically inclined would the combination that I suggested be better than Bio, Chem + 2 other 'facilitating' subjects with little relevancy?

Btw not asking for me, Im a CS student, just wondered peoples opinions
Reply 8
Because those subjects add to your value. For example PE doesnt really open any career opertunities that Bio doesnt offer as well. Where as English or a foreign language will allow you to go abroad to practise medicine there or give you a better chance at becomming a journalist about medicine.

Its best to think of every A-level beyond your main 2 in terms of how many opertunities it brings you, rather than how relevent they directly are to your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending