The Student Room Group

does it matter if the course I'm doing doesn't have a BPS accreditation?

I would really like to do psychology and criminology next year at Loughborough university next year, but the course doesn't give you a BPS accredited qualification. Does it matter? Does having a BPS qualification help if I want to do a masters later on for psychology?
Reply 1
If you want to work in the field you should really do an accredited course; most employers will look for this. The BPS website says:

"Do I need to take a course that is accredited?

Our advice to students is always to choose a BPS accredited course to maximise your future options.
Taking a BPS accredited undergraduate or conversion course confers eligibility for the GBC.
GBC is required for Chartered status. The vast majority of postgraduate programmes accredited by the HCPC for registration as a practitioner psychologist also require GBC. Taking a BPS accredited Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) course is currently the only way to achieve qualification as a psychological wellbeing practitioner."

Read this for further information.
My advice would be to go for a degree that does give you BPS accreditation because it opens doors for you after you complete your degree, that way you wont be limited to only a few options like you would if you didnt get the accreditation.
There are a lot of other unis that offer a Bps accredited psychology with criminology. Here are a few suggestions, you might wanna look around a bit more though:
-Birmingham city uni
-University of west England
-Middlesex
-Southampton
-University of south wales
-Brighton
-Buckinghamshire New
Original post by ricefarmer
I would really like to do psychology and criminology next year at Loughborough university next year, but the course doesn't give you a BPS accredited qualification. Does it matter? Does having a BPS qualification help if I want to do a masters later on for psychology?

Hi.

Firstly, employers outside of psychology dont care if its BPS accredited - and given that the huge majority of students dont go on to become applied professional psychologists then it doesn't concern most people.

Secondly, you can do a masters in psychology with no psychology degree in some cases - masters degrees really differ widely and lots of them just require a broadly relevant degree. Depends what kind of masters you want though, and if your using it to become a professional psychologist then you'd need a BPS accredited degree anyway.

Finally, the most worrying thing is that the minimum requirements are not that high for having BPS acreditation - most unis cover the minimum required topics very quickly. The fact that it isn't BPS accredited suggests that the degree is not good enough (i.e. goes at a very slow pace ) and cannot cover the basics in enough time. Or, it could mean that they don't have enough psychology lecturers to cover all the topics -- either way it's a bit worrying!
Reply 4
Original post by Jenx301
If you want to work in the field you should really do an accredited course; most employers will look for this. The BPS website says:

"Do I need to take a course that is accredited?

Our advice to students is always to choose a BPS accredited course to maximise your future options.
Taking a BPS accredited undergraduate or conversion course confers eligibility for the GBC.
GBC is required for Chartered status. The vast majority of postgraduate programmes accredited by the HCPC for registration as a practitioner psychologist also require GBC. Taking a BPS accredited Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) course is currently the only way to achieve qualification as a psychological wellbeing practitioner."

Read this for further information.

Original post by sabrina2929
My advice would be to go for a degree that does give you BPS accreditation because it opens doors for you after you complete your degree, that way you wont be limited to only a few options like you would if you didnt get the accreditation.
There are a lot of other unis that offer a Bps accredited psychology with criminology. Here are a few suggestions, you might wanna look around a bit more though:
-Birmingham city uni
-University of west England
-Middlesex
-Southampton
-University of south wales
-Brighton
-Buckinghamshire New

thanks! Ill definitely look these unis up

Original post by iammichealjackson
Hi.

Firstly, employers outside of psychology dont care if its BPS accredited - and given that the huge majority of students dont go on to become applied professional psychologists then it doesn't concern most people.

Secondly, you can do a masters in psychology with no psychology degree in some cases - masters degrees really differ widely and lots of them just require a broadly relevant degree. Depends what kind of masters you want though, and if your using it to become a professional psychologist then you'd need a BPS accredited degree anyway.

Finally, the most worrying thing is that the minimum requirements are not that high for having BPS acreditation - most unis cover the minimum required topics very quickly. The fact that it isn't BPS accredited suggests that the degree is not good enough (i.e. goes at a very slow pace ) and cannot cover the basics in enough time. Or, it could mean that they don't have enough psychology lecturers to cover all the topics -- either way it's a bit worrying!

thank you everyone for your advice, it has been very helpful!!
Do not touch a course that is not accredited. There are loads out there which are (so you should have no problem getting on one). You will not progress anywhere in Psychology until you have GBC (which comes from an accredited degree).
Original post by ricefarmer

I suggest you check with Loughborough Uni on their course in relation to BPS certification before you give up on the course. Sometimes it may just require some other additional requirements or the university may be in the process of obtaining certification. Not so clear cut as in all non BPS degrees are dodgy, certainly not from Loughborough.
Hi ricefarmer

Great to hear that you are considering studying with us :biggrin: I have contacted Psychology to ask them for information on this and they have replied with the following reassurance:

'We expect that Psychology with Criminology will have BPS accreditation in time for 2016 entry. The BPS accreditation is crucial for someone wanting to pursue a career in professional psychology (counselling, educational, forensic, etc.) which may include masters and doctoral studies. For other types of careers BPS accreditation is not essential.'

I hope this helps. If you would like to discuss the course in more detail, you can contact them directly on (01509) 223365 or [email protected].

Amy
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi ricefarmer

Great to hear that you are considering studying with us :biggrin: I have contacted Psychology to ask them for information on this and they have replied with the following reassurance:

'We expect that Psychology with Criminology will have BPS accreditation in time for 2016 entry. The BPS accreditation is crucial for someone wanting to pursue a career in professional psychology (counselling, educational, forensic, etc.) which may include masters and doctoral studies. For other types of careers BPS accreditation is not essential.'

I hope this helps. If you would like to discuss the course in more detail, you can contact them directly on (01509) 223365 or [email protected].

Amy

Happy that LU has replied. I have seen some applicants getting so unreasonably concerned and giving or receiving wrong advice.

Quick Reply

Latest