The Student Room Group

What degree I should do

In the future I want to do a doctorate to become a clinical psychologist, at University does it matter what psychology degree I do as long as it's accredited by the BPS. For example, would a psychology degree be preferred of a psychology in education degree or does it make no difference if they're both accredited?
Hi @frustrating-inst

The best advice I would give you is to contact the institutions that you are interested in studying with. They will provide you with the correct degree or degree options and postgraduate options that you can take to progress into a clinical psychologist doctorate in future. This will help you mitigate any disappointments that may arise from selecting the wrong degree.

Best wishes
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by frustrating-inst
In the future I want to do a doctorate to become a clinical psychologist, at University does it matter what psychology degree I do as long as it's accredited by the BPS. For example, would a psychology degree be preferred of a psychology in education degree or does it make no difference if they're both accredited?

I would suggest straight Psychology.

@frustrating-inst
I've just finished my MSc in Psychology. The key thing is the accreditation from the BPS. When you go to University I would make the most of any voluntary work available such as supporting professors with their research as that looks good on a CV. You don't have to do a Masters to be accepted onto a doctorate, but it is a very competitive area and might give you an edge.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hiya! I'm in my second year of my psychology. Just to echo the above comments, I would say that the most important thing is the BPS accreditation. I think the second most important thing is also the resources that particular course or university gives you, as that can be important to giving you that extra edge for a doctorate application. For example, my course offers help with placements and applying for placement year, which helps a lot to hit that work experience criteria when applying for a ClinPsyD.

Hope that helped!

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep :smile:

All that matters is that it's BPS accredited. The title of the degree and even largely what options you take outside of the BPS required core modules won't affect your chances. Although if you have any options to do clinical psychology placements/modules those would obviously be quite relevant (and a clinical placement would be a huge benefit I gather). But you won't be "marked down" for not taking them (especially if they aren't available anyway!). It's just that you will need to have some (often a fair bit as they are competitive courses) suitable clinical work experience and background and those can be a good way to start developing that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest