The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Personal Statement for Mechanical Engineering

Hi guys,

I applied to UCL for Mechanical Engineering but my other 4 choices were Aero. I based my personal statement therefore mostly off aerospace, so would UCL count this against me?

I know they're different subjects, but a LOT of the subject material overlaps, and so would UCL understand this? Of course if UCL offered aerospace I'd have applied for that.

So will I be at a HUGE disadvantage? :frown:
Reply 1
Probably, a person at my school also applied to UCL, but for eco and maths, his PS was however based on Economics only, so UCL rejected him.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by McRite
Probably, a person at my school also applied to UCL, but for eco and maths, his PS was however based on Economics only, so UCL rejected him.

Welp.

What were his grades/predictions?
Reply 3
Original post by Student403
Welp.

What were his grades/predictions?

4A*s and 1A were his final grades, he also got into Cambridge so I guess it worked out for him.
Reply 4
Original post by McRite
4A*s and 1A were his final grades, he also got into Cambridge so I guess it worked out for him.

Hot damn! Thanks for the help
Reply 5
Hot damn! Thanks for the help

Who knows it might be different for you, since it's a different faculty, and course. Also competitiveness plays a part.
Reply 6
Original post by McRite
Who knows it might be different for you, since it's a different faculty, and course. Also competitiveness plays a part.

It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive (11 apps per place)

I've been told the reference is really good though, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A (M, FM, Phy, an MFL) so let's see =P I think my weakest link is the "lack" of focus on Mechanical Engineering in my PS
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive.

I've been told the reference is really good though, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A (M, FM, Phy, German) so let's see =P I think my weakest link is the "lack" of focus on Mechanical Engineering in my PS

Good luck, those are some good grades, you can always hope. :smile:
It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive (11 apps per place)

Yeah, UCL has terrible rankings when it comes to engineering, and I wasn't too keen on applying there, but we were staying really close by on a visit to London so I checked out the campus. A teaching fellow showed me around the civil eng department and showed me project work and things like that, and believe me, after that UCL has become my ideal uni :P I think tables are somewhat unrealistic there. Personally I thought it was really good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending