Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I applied to UCL for Mechanical Engineering but my other 4 choices were Aero. I based my personal statement therefore mostly off aerospace, so would UCL count this against me?

I know they're different subjects, but a LOT of the subject material overlaps, and so would UCL understand this? Of course if UCL offered aerospace I'd have applied for that.

So will I be at a HUGE disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    Probably, a person at my school also applied to UCL, but for eco and maths, his PS was however based on Economics only, so UCL rejected him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    Probably, a person at my school also applied to UCL, but for eco and maths, his PS was however based on Economics only, so UCL rejected him.
    Welp.

What were his grades/predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Welp.

What were his grades/predictions?
    4A*s and 1A were his final grades, he also got into Cambridge so I guess it worked out for him.

ReputationRep:
    4A*s and 1A were his final grades, he also got into Cambridge so I guess it worked out for him.
    Hot damn! Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Hot damn! Thanks for the help
    Who knows it might be different for you, since it's a different faculty, and course. Also competitiveness plays a part.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows it might be different for you, since it's a different faculty, and course. Also competitiveness plays a part.
    It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive (11 apps per place)

I've been told the reference is really good though, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A (M, FM, Phy, an MFL) so let's see =P I think my weakest link is the "lack" of focus on Mechanical Engineering in my PS

ReputationRep:
    It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive.

I've been told the reference is really good though, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A (M, FM, Phy, German) so let's see =P I think my weakest link is the "lack" of focus on Mechanical Engineering in my PS
    Good luck, those are some good grades, you can always hope.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite weird actually as UCL is ranked like 26th for Aero in the UK alone, but I think the name makes it quite competitive (11 apps per place)
    Yeah, UCL has terrible rankings when it comes to engineering, and I wasn't too keen on applying there, but we were staying really close by on a visit to London so I checked out the campus. A teaching fellow showed me around the civil eng department and showed me project work and things like that, and believe me, after that UCL has become my ideal uni :P I think tables are somewhat unrealistic there. Personally I thought it was really good.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.