The Student Room Group

Different clothes, different attitudes...?

When I went to school I thought it was my own imagination. I had the impression that people (including people I know since years and good friends)behaved in entirely different ways according to the different types of clothes I dressed.
I thought, maybe I was just making it up. Or maybe I'm the one who has a different attitude depending on what I wear?

But ever since I'm at university (more people, more friends, more cultures) I feel as if I can almost predict other people's attitudes depending on what I dress.
Again, I'm not talking about people I never met, because I'm smart enough to understand that the appearance of one's clothes has a certain effect on their "first impression". I'm talking about classmates, or other people with whom I talk and meet everyday.

I often change my dressing style, depending on my mood, or the weather...
I might dress like a grassroots hippie for 3-4 days and then very professionally, elegantly, for a week. Then I wear like a heavy metal fan with all black and leather stuff for the next week... and then again at the height of fashion for a few days.
Sometimes, I simply wake up in the morning and take whatever clothes are within reach without even thinking... sometimes I'm totally disordered and with no real "style".
Basically, I don't have a fixed way of dressing.
I don't follow any specific stereotype, so to say.

Yet, I notice that even the people whom I talk with everyday seem to change their attitude depending on what I dress. They never directly comment the way I dress but, e.g. when I dress elegantly and professionally, they act more "respectfully/officially" towards me; when I am with baggy clothes they are more funny and joking with me, etc.

Do you think this is normal? Or am I just imagining things?

p.s. yeah, i know i'm a bit weird/creative.

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
p.s. yeah, i know i'm a bit weird/creative.

cringe.
Reply 2
I find this sometimes, but not to the point where it's an issue. I think it's primarily because what you wear can change how you act, how you talk to people etc. But also people may find it a bit strange - it must be like dealing with a different person. They might not know what to expect on any given day and if your clothes affect your mood, people might be unsure as to how you will react to them.
Reply 3
People in masks become themselves... If your clothes are your mask maybe you have multiple personalities...
Reply 4
multiple personalities? :biggrin: wow, I could become an actor!

Nah, I simply don't bother much about what I wear. I simply want to be different from time to time. And change more than the others.
I'm always myself.

I'm simply wondering how other people might perceive this... :smile:
Reply 5
doesnt happen to me. THe only difference is if people laugh at me or not ^_^. Went to a friends house semi casual, next time i went went dressed as a hawaiian/american tourist, they all obviously cracked up at me but still acted the same.
Reply 6
i think what you wear changes people's perception of you, but doesn't really make you any different. Your attitude is always the same.

It's your mood changing what you wear, not your attitude
People who actually plan out their styles day in advance are pathetic. period.

Yes perceptions can be influenced by how someone dressed and I think we all make a quick decision on someone after we first see them - especially if they are wearing clothes that isn't 'normal'..
Reply 8

I don't even plan. It comes... spontaneously.
I dress how I feel at the moment :smile:

I guess you are right. First impression can be influenced.

First impression. But with people you know since months?
Reply 9
I pretty much always wear the first thing to hand, I had to wear my suit to a lecture last term because it was the last clean thing I had left :P:
The other day i woke feeling all romantic gothic, so dressed acordingly and by the evening was discussing philosophy...on the days when you choose something different to wear you must have a slightly different frame of mind which is reflected in your clothes, and also in you behaviour...which people may the pick up on and react to.
Reply 11
I do that a bit. i mean mostly fo events, like a concert or whatever you wear the appropriate clothing. mostly just so people don't beat you up if u wear high heels to a gig lol practicalities and all. but i get what you mean.
What's Chico Time Precious?
cringe.

Hahaha.

OP, if you wear mini skirts, footless tights and ballet pumps constantly I'd be more inclined to ignore you for following the Topshop sheep brigade.
Clubber Lang

Load of poop. :smile:
Reply 14
I dont think people see you in a different light, Its you who act according to the way you dress. Example when Im dressed in professional attire I tend to act more...well mature, then the day's when Im wearing a hoody + jeans I appear more layed back and "street" . People pick up on these little things
I find I get more nasty comments if I go out in a baggy hoodie and jeans, rather than my normal size clothes. I chop and change a lot now too because I've decided I'd like being girly as well as dressing in black.
It's when I don't wear any clothes people treat me differently...I just dont get it :frown:
I know im guilty of judging people on how they look which bugs me on a personal level because i have no sense of style and am therefore nearly always looking really unattractive or unfashionable.
(think ugly betty but blonde)

I'm not ashamed to admit that we (yay i have friends) have diagnosed many people in college with TD (topshop disease) and this has now furthered into ND (next disease) and NLD (new look disease) which is what i suffer from.

Appearance is very important and alot of the time it happens sub- conciously, we respect (or are meant to at least) the tutors in college because whilst they might not wear a full suit and tie, they arent walking around in jeans either.
Reply 18
Stereotyping at its finest...

People will always be prejudice to people dependent on how they dress, only those that are open minded will treat everyone the same.
i totally know what you mean, i change my style practically every day at uni in a sense. there are some girls that just look immaculate and trendy each day and i just think 'so what time did you get up to style your hair, plan your outfit etc?'
some days il wear a hoody and baggy jeans or combats with my hair in a bun to lectures, the next il wear dark jeans, fitted top and straighten my hair and wear it down, make up on etc. some days i want short black nails, other days i want a french manicure. and i feel like people listen to my opinion more when im dressed more fashionably. i dont feel noticed when im in my casual clothes. i wear what reflects my mood basically!! i dont dress for others but i admit it is a good feeling when you get a compliment because you've made an effort one day,
i actually think going casual most of the time can be a good thing because people tend to notice more when you do make an effort.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending