Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm not entirely sure on what i actually want to 'be' when I'm older but would like something involving English. I'm thinking of maybe teaching it as a foreign language (so I may get the opportunity to travel?), magazine journalism or regular teaching. At the college I'll be attending we can take 4 a levels but drop one at AS. I'd like to keep my options open so would like to have a range of subjects but would want them to be relevant and beneficial to me. Which subjects would you recommend that I take in college?

ReputationRep:
    You still have time...people change after a couple of years...I used to want to do to teaching, but after I got into Biology I leaned towards Pharmaceuticals and Haematology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollypowell)
    At the moment I'm not entirely sure on what i actually want to 'be' when I'm older but would like something involving English. I'm thinking of maybe teaching it as a foreign language (so I may get the opportunity to travel?), magazine journalism or regular teaching. At the college I'll be attending we can take 4 a levels but drop one at AS. Which subjects would you recommend that I take?
    History, English Lit, Politics, Economics and Geography are very good A-levels and they not only suit a path for journalism, but teaching and many others too!

Perhaps take a science or two for the first (or even both) year(s)?! Maths and Biology are two common combinations, or just go for Maths or/and your strongest science!

I don't know your exact abilities but I would take, if I were in your position:

English lit, History, Politics and Maths or English lit, History, Biology and Maths

ReputationRep:
    I agree with jamestg, but I also think that an mfl would be a good one to have!

I find that they can really help with English as bizarre as that may sound!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoafanuk)
    I agree with jamestg, but I also think that an mfl would be a good one to have!

I find that they can really help with English as bizarre as that may sound!
    I knew I was forgetting something!!!

A LANGUAGE WOULD BE EXCELLENT AND FOR DEGREES LIKE LAW, FRENCH IS AN EXTREMELY COMMON A-LEVEL TO APPLY WITH!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to teach English abroad then having a foreign language is a very good idea! So English literature, a MFL, and then two facilitating subjects - I'd say History, as you have to do things like judge sources and evaluate the facts (things you'd need to do in journalism), and then maybe Politics/Maths/another facilitating subject? This could be the one you'd drop at AS.

Hope this was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I knew I was forgetting something!!!

A LANGUAGE WOULD BE EXCELLENT AND FOR DEGREES LIKE LAW, FRENCH IS AN EXTREMELY COMMON A-LEVEL TO APPLY WITH!
    (whispers don't remind me I dropped french in year 7 for mandarin and now I have to dawdle on up to admissions with japanese as my mfl instead which means that I can't just go wandering into the european human rights court after my degree )

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.