The Student Room Group

Which A-levels should I take?

At the moment I'm not entirely sure on what i actually want to 'be' when I'm older but would like something involving English. I'm thinking of maybe teaching it as a foreign language (so I may get the opportunity to travel?), magazine journalism or regular teaching. At the college I'll be attending we can take 4 a levels but drop one at AS. I'd like to keep my options open so would like to have a range of subjects but would want them to be relevant and beneficial to me. Which subjects would you recommend that I take in college?
(edited 8 years ago)
You still have time...people change after a couple of years...I used to want to do to teaching, but after I got into Biology I leaned towards Pharmaceuticals and Haematology.
Reply 2
Original post by Mollypowell
At the moment I'm not entirely sure on what i actually want to 'be' when I'm older but would like something involving English. I'm thinking of maybe teaching it as a foreign language (so I may get the opportunity to travel?), magazine journalism or regular teaching. At the college I'll be attending we can take 4 a levels but drop one at AS. Which subjects would you recommend that I take?

History, English Lit, Politics, Economics and Geography are very good A-levels and they not only suit a path for journalism, but teaching and many others too!

Perhaps take a science or two for the first (or even both) year(s)?! Maths and Biology are two common combinations, or just go for Maths or/and your strongest science!

I don't know your exact abilities but I would take, if I were in your position:

English lit, History, Politics and Maths or English lit, History, Biology and Maths
I agree with jamestg, but I also think that an mfl would be a good one to have!

I find that they can really help with English as bizarre as that may sound!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hoafanuk
I agree with jamestg, but I also think that an mfl would be a good one to have!

I find that they can really help with English as bizarre as that may sound!

I knew I was forgetting something!!!

A LANGUAGE WOULD BE EXCELLENT AND FOR DEGREES LIKE LAW, FRENCH IS AN EXTREMELY COMMON A-LEVEL TO APPLY WITH!
If you want to teach English abroad then having a foreign language is a very good idea! So English literature, a MFL, and then two facilitating subjects - I'd say History, as you have to do things like judge sources and evaluate the facts (things you'd need to do in journalism), and then maybe Politics/Maths/another facilitating subject? This could be the one you'd drop at AS.

Hope this was helpful!
Original post by jamestg
I knew I was forgetting something!!!

A LANGUAGE WOULD BE EXCELLENT AND FOR DEGREES LIKE LAW, FRENCH IS AN EXTREMELY COMMON A-LEVEL TO APPLY WITH!

(whispers don't remind me I dropped french in year 7 for mandarin and now I have to dawdle on up to admissions with japanese as my mfl instead which means that I can't just go wandering into the european human rights court after my degree :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest