The Student Room Group

How should I show interest in Engineering

I am 15 - turning 16 in May and living in London. Right know I am focusing on my GCSE subjects. When I am older I know I want to enter the engineering industry so I am thinking of what I can do to show interest in engineering, so I can write about it on my personal statement when I apply for university (in 2 years).

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do in my free time that will impress universities?
Wow you're thinking ahead! Work experience and reading around the subject (journals, text books) are the best way to show interest :smile:
Reply 2
Work experience
Summer school (funded free ones if you are eligible, if not EDT Headstart is very cheap compared to some privately funded summer schools as Headstart is sponsored by industry)
Reading magazine, books
Setting up/running/participating in a science/engineering club

There are loads you can do
I recommend applying to summer school as soon as application opens (usually like September in year 12)
Organising work experience is a pain in the arse so you should start early too
Books and stuff you can do slowly

But GCSE is VERY early I recommend you focus on getting excellent set of results and just do some reading if you have time. The problem is GCSE knowledge isn't often enough to understand magazine or books so I would just get excellent grades and possibly get ahead with A levels after you finish GCSE so that you can read more advanced stuff comfortably
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by C0balt
Work experience
Summer school (funded free ones if you are eligible, if not EDT Headstart is very cheap compared to some privately funded summer schools as Headstart is sponsored by industry)
Reading magazine, books
Setting up/running/participating in a science/engineering club

There are loads you can do
I recommend applying to summer school as soon as application opens (usually like September in year 12)
Organising work experience is a pain in the arse so you should start early too
Books and stuff you can do slowly

But GCSE is VERY early I recommend you focus on getting excellent set of results and just do some reading if you have time. The problem is GCSE knowledge isn't often enough to understand magazine or books so I would just get excellent grades and possibly get ahead with A levels after you finish GCSE so that you can read more advanced stuff comfortably
Posted from TSR Mobile

Which magazine would you say was best for engineering? (I am an A2 Student applying to engineering at Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, Bristol and Edinburgh)
Reply 4
Original post by lulu2928
Which magazine would you say was best for engineering? (I am an A2 Student applying to engineering at Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, Bristol and Edinburgh)

OMG I applied to exactly the same universities (but for different course)

Well I am not doing engineering, so I can't say for sure, but having read a fair amount of New Scientist and Physics World, I'd say it isn't worth subscribing to either of them because there aren't many engineering specific articles. But if you find some interesting headlines related to engineering, or even if they aren't directly related but find it interesting, you could pick it up in school library or just buy that issue. I've heard of Mechanical Engineering magazine published by some American society of engineering of some sort but I'm not sure if it's good.

I mentioned New Scientist in my personal statement, but I didn't say I read New Scientist regularly or anything, I mentioned one specific article and linked it with my EPQ project for example.
Reply 5
Haha that's such a coincidence!

Thanks- I'll keep my eyes peeled for articles:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending