The Student Room Group

Are we born to die?

Not the Lana Del Ray song. I mean assuming life starts at the moment of conception every second after that is one second closer to death. Therefore we technically are not living but are dying. Discuss. Also we're all gonna die one day. Sad times ;(

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Yes, death is inevitable. But **** son, there's more to life than the end of it o.O

That's like saying that we only watch movies for the credits...
yes we are approaching death from the time we are born! you just gotta live life

YOLO
Original post by Alexion
Yes, death is inevitable. But **** son, there's more to life than the end of it o.O

That's like saying that we only watch movies for the credits...

Technically we are dying and not living. Sad :frown:
Original post by TheTruthTeller

Not really, technically we are living because we are not dead.

'Living' and 'dying' are not a dichotomy; one can be simultaneously living and dying (as we all are, presupposing our existence, until we complete the process of living/dying and in fact die).
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
'Living' and 'dying' are not a dichotomy; one can be simultaneously living and dying (as we all are, presupposing our existence, until we complete the process of living/dying and in fact die).

True.
Reply 8

Dying is only a state of mind. Death is only the point at the end of life.
[video="youtube;Bag1gUxuU0g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g[/video]
Not the Lana Del Ray song. I mean assuming life starts at the moment of conception every second after that is one second closer to death. Therefore we technically are not living but are dying. Discuss. Also we're all gonna die one day. Sad times ;(

life is a song and dance, it is all about the process
like the purpose of a song is the song itself, not the end of it, otherwise the best composers would be the ones to finish the fastest

so it's about living (and then dying after it all) :biggrin:
I personally think we are because we can't have tigers as pets which is totally what lana is trying to say in her song... :colone:

Reply 12
We are living and dying.

But are we born to die? I think not.
We're born to make cute babies and carry on the species and all that schtuff :fluffy:

Life is what you make it. Be that full of work or boredom or sleep.
We were born to flyyyyyy:tongue:

Yes, this is why I am nihilistic and I believe that life is basically pointless as we all die eventually.
But since we are here we might as well have a little 'fun' (And all the other sh*t that comes with it)
Reply 15

Ok. But every second after that one second is also another second lived. Technically you are right, we are dying. What is else to discuss. You have just pointed out two things. So yeah it's interesting to think about it that way but what more apart from acknowledgement of your points do you want. Ask me a real question for a discussion.
Reply 16

One inevitable fact of life, we will all die.

We all have the same beginning and the same end.

Its what we do with the time in between that counts.

You could say it is sad but life really is very short if you have faith in God and believe in an eternity.
All atheists eventually turn into Tony Soprano, even the ones that think they've never suffered depression and never will do

That's why the sopranos ended with don't stop believing
Reply 18
Yes.

“Birth is but the beginning of a trajectory to death; for all their love, parents cannot halt it and in a sense have “given us to death” merely by giving us birth.”

- Eknath Easwaran (I think)
Reply 19
No, we're born to procreate.

And then die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending