The Student Room Group

Postgraduate students and age

I'm in the final year of my OU degree and am strongly considering full time postgrad study. Basically, taking a 1 year career break, doing a postgrad and then returning back to work.

My question is, I'm 32... I would be 33 when I would start, 34 on finishing. While I don't really care about age, there is something about being seen as the old fogey in a room full of 20-something whipper-snappers.

What's the general age range for you post-gradders? Do you see many of us old farts around the place?

As for subject, I am considering either computer game engineering or software engineering at either City University London, Sheffield Hallam or Nottingham Trent.
Original post by Jon_6_sk
I'm in the final year of my OU degree and am strongly considering full time postgrad study. Basically, taking a 1 year career break, doing a postgrad and then returning back to work.

My question is, I'm 32... I would be 33 when I would start, 34 on finishing. While I don't really care about age, there is something about being seen as the old fogey in a room full of 20-something whipper-snappers.

What's the general age range for you post-gradders? Do you see many of us old farts around the place?

As for subject, I am considering either computer game engineering or software engineering at either City University London, Sheffield Hallam or Nottingham Trent.

Hey, I'm doing an MA at King's College and I would say most people are older! There are only a couple of younger people e.g. finished their undergrad and went straight into it. I think it's pretty common to wait a bit now mainly because of the funding. I get on really well with the older people and it's good to learn from their practical experience too (I'm 23 and have worked for a year and a half). I wouldn't worry about the age if I were you!

Hi Jon_6_sk,

I have helped out at a few Postgraduate events and the age range is much more varied than the undergraduate events I have helped out with!

There are a few students who are early 20's and have just finished there undergraduate degree, but there are also lots of people who have worked for a while and are thinking of coming back to study. So, at the age of 33, you probably won't be the oldest person!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions about PG study at NTU please let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen
Most postgrads are over 30.
So you will be in good company - go for it.
Original post by infairverona
I get on really well with the older people and it's good to learn from their practical experience too

This is a good point - and I'd add that older postgrads learn from the more recent academic experience of younger ones. It works both ways.

On my course, 30-ish to 60-ish. If you're an old fart, I'm a dinosaur. Don't let age put you off :smile:
I'm 24 & the guys on my course are 25+!
I think you will be in good company, and people who have gone through many years of employment/travelling etc!
Have a look at the different Uni postgrad populations too it may help

As others have said you would be unlikely to be in a room full of young people. I did a postgrad last year and at 22 when I started I was the youngest on my course. Many were late 20's early 30's, one lady was in her 40's and still got on well with us.
Hi Jon

I'd say thtat there are usually at least a couple, or more, slightly older students on MA courses. There'll be a cluster of people that have gone straight through on the normal school-BA-MA route, but then the rest will bridge a wide age range. I did my BA as a mature student and was 28 when I did my MA. It depends on the course, as some subjects attract people with professional experience more than others. I was on an interdisciplinary course, and the students from one department skewed a lot older (loads of people in their 40's and 50's); while the other department had a majority of people in their early 20's.

I wouldn't think you would stand out terribly at 33! I'm that age now, and still a postgrad :smile:
Reply 8
This is excellent feedback! Thanks, everybody!

I'm going to check out some of the postgrad fairs coming up next year (I think I have an NTU one booked in).

Cheers all :smile:
I did my MA when 37, and sat my exams whilst 8 months pregnant. Age is irrelevant at this stage: just quality of thinking and commitment.
Original post by DrSocSciences
I did my MA when 37, and sat my exams whilst 8 months pregnant. Age is irrelevant at this stage: just quality of thinking and commitment.

Wow, that's incredible.
Original post by DrSocSciences

Impressive. :0
Original post by Juichiro
Impressive. :0

Not forgetting my other 2 kids as well, both under 10yrs old. So sleep deprived.
Reply 13
sorry boy, 32 is just the right age to really think what you want to do. Am 51 and seriously thinking of doing my MA next academic year and nothing is stopping me.
Reply 14
Want to read a taught MA in Social Policy research after completing my BA (Hons) from the Open University where I funded part of my course so seeking advice on funding out there and how to navigate a 5000 words Personal statement.
Original post by Rollie
Want to read a taught MA in Social Policy research after completing my BA (Hons) from the Open University where I funded part of my course so seeking advice on funding out there and how to navigate a 5000 words Personal statement.

5000 words for an MA? What uni is that? My personal statement for my MA was only a page.

Funding - there's little funding for MA/MSc degrees especially in humanities. I've seen some unis giving scholarships to people who had to pay the 9k fees (loads of people on my MA have this just for graduating a year later then me! sigh) so your best bet is most likely a career development loan. I have one but I'm trying to save up the funds over my MA so that I don't have to pay the interest, I think it was something ridiculous like 9.9%.
I expect it should say 500?

5000 words would be a long PhD proposal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending