The Student Room Group

Is there really one true God? Is there even a god at all.

I pose this question with the intention of creating yet more debate.

I am taking a purely eductional angle on this.

If there so many religions and they all proclaim to serve the one true God, who is the one true God?

Is it feasible that each holy book, was not referring to an individual but more about a groups of individuals in a council, who sought to write and collate a set of rules and morales on how man should treat one another?

When a terrorist and I use the term loosely, uses the term "Alluah Akbar" in an attack intended to cause great harm and suffering, what do they actually mean? Ultimately any educated person would know that saying "God is great" before causing mass suffering is a direct insult to that religion.

And finally, is there a place for religion in the 21st century? If so, what are the pro's and con's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

Also id respond to this but im too lazy to think atm soz
None of them are true.

If perhaps they coincidentally came up with the same stories before countries met each other despite geographical separation then maybe God could exist but evidently its just the same old story with its different parts.
Maybe, maybe not. No way of knowing.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Maybe, maybe not. No way of knowing.

U-eXuzjf.jpeg
The one true god is Nicholas Cage.
Original post by Thomalenski
I pose this question with the intention of creating yet more debate.

I am taking a purely eductional angle on this.

If there so many religions and they all proclaim to serve the one true God, who is the one true God?

Is it feasible that each holy book, was not referring to an individual but more about a groups of individuals in a council, who sought to write and collate a set of rules and morales on how man should treat one another?

When a terrorist and I use the term loosely, uses the term "Alluah Akbar" in an attack intended to cause great harm and suffering, what do they actually mean? Ultimately any educated person would know that saying "God is great" before causing mass suffering is a direct insult to that religion.

And finally, is there a place for religion in the 21st century? If so, what are the pro's and con's?
One of the best and easiest to understand arguments against the belief in a god is the fallacy of passing the buck.

Invoking god as a solution to morality or any problem for that matter does not solve the initial problem. For example, the world is so complex therefore that has to be a creator. This logic fails since god is complicated too, therefore who created god? And this can continue infinitely.

This might have been the case. However no evidence of this exists. In addition these individuals could have simply made it all up for personal benefit, no evidence of this exists either, so why would anyone blindly believe in religions that are unclear. Furthermore, even IF these people wanted to set guidelines for morality it is blatantly clear that some of these guidelines do not apply in the 21st century. Such as killing your neighbor if he works on a Sunday or the hadith supporting the killing of apostates, and this is coming from the same religions that claim to be divine.
Reply 7
Nah, no gods. No proof = no existence.

The stories keep changing to fit whatever we prove with hard facts. Its clear that there's no truth behind belief.

But that's why people believe. You can't 'believe' in something that you know exists.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
Nah, no gods. No proof = no existence.

The stories keep changing to fit whatever we prove with hard facts. Its clear that there's no truth behind belief.

But that's why people believe. You can't 'believe' in something that you know exists.

Of course you can. I believe that I am using the iPad to respond to this comment. The iPad most definitely exists and the action that I am carrying out certainly replicates my belief of how I am replying, so therefore this is in existence?
Reply 9
Original post by BobbyFlay

One of the best and easiest to understand arguments against the belief in a god is the fallacy of passing the buck.

Invoking god as a solution to morality or any problem for that matter does not solve the initial problem. For example, the world is so complex therefore that has to be a creator. This logic fails since god is complicated too, therefore who created god? And this can continue infinitely.

This might have been the case. However no evidence of this exists. In addition these individuals could have simply made it all up for personal benefit, no evidence of this exists either, so why would anyone blindly believe in religions that are unclear. Furthermore, even IF these people wanted to set guidelines for morality it is blatantly clear that some of these guidelines do not apply in the 21st century. Such as killing your neighbor if he works on a Sunday or the hadith supporting the killing of apostates, and this is coming from the same religions that claim to be divine.

Thank you for your in depth reply.

Would you say that the 21st century should continue to focus on and support ongoing globalisation. Is it possible that religion is a key barrier for preventing true interconnectedness?

If people didn't have religion or believe in God do you think this would provoke more chaos?
Of course you can. I believe that I am using the iPad to respond to this comment. The iPad most definitely exists and the action that I am carrying out certainly replicates my belief of how I am replying, so therefore this is in existence?

That's not belief, that's knowledge. The iPad IS in your hands.

You can't KNOW that a god exists, only believe.
Reply 11
There is no one true god, or any gods, in my opinion. The thing that is constant between all religions is the human race!

We evolved to see meaning in our environment, because it helps us to identify patterns and make decisions. But we over-generalise, which leads to superstitions, conspiracy theories, and religion.
We evolved the assumption that everything has a "purpose". We evolved this because, for example, if a lion is running towards you, it is useful to assume it must have a purpose (aka. to attack you). Anthropologists call this the "Intentional Stance".
When we developed conciousness we realised that one day we would die, and didn't know how to deal with it, or explain it to our kids.
And throughout history people have hated the fact that we can't explain our surroundings, it makes us feel scared and powerless. Hundreds/thousands of years ago, saying that magic did it was the best anyone had!

As a species we are basically prepped and ready to invent gods. So I guess in my view, I would say that human nature is the real root of all of them.
Is this question an important one?
So many opinions ,we end up listening the same arguments again and again. It is quiet tiring.
God is a vague term on its own.
So it ends up like this :
' Is there a powerful creature in an imaginary world we will never see in our life?'
' Oh of course not ,there is no scientific proof'
' But I said imaginary,you don't have any real arguments'
We will never have answers for such vague things due to their vagueness.
There a reason why religions are referred to as 'faiths'.
When you find the answer, tell
me so I can nominate you for a Nobel Prize.
Original post by Alexion
That's not belief, that's knowledge. The iPad IS in your hands.

You can't KNOW that a god exists, only believe.

In my opinion faith is one of the most awful trait humans have .
faith = willing to consider something as true without thinking about it at all, because if you do chances are you will lose faith (irrationality will be uncovered)
Faith is not only in religions. We should educate people to be sceptical about everything :ethics,science,religion,arts.
Only after this process will they think clearly .
god is an athiest
No one knows.
Reply 18
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No one knows.

We get some rules to follow
That and this, these and those
There are various directions we can take this question and we could go on for hours but in the end the conclusion will always be "dunno m8"

Quick Reply

Latest