The Student Room Group

Online distance learning Masters?

I currently work full- time in law enforcement and I'm looking into opportunities for postgraduate study, mostly to further my knowledge in an area I'm really interested in, but also for something that could help my career progression .

I've come across a master's degree in Terrorism and Security from the University of Salford, which can be done part-time via online distance learning. This would be ideal for me so I wouldn't have to leave my job to study post grad and it directly relates to an area I can progress into .

What would you think about someone doing an online distance masters degree from a university like Salford? I don't know much about the uni but from what I can gather it's not exactly the most prestigious uni in the UK. :P I already have a first from a Russell Group uni if that makes a difference.

What about the online distance learning itself? Do you not regard it as highly as actually attending the uni and a bit of a waste of time?

The cost of doing the whole course part time for me would be about £4500. There's a similar course at St Andrews, distance learning as well, but it would cost £9000 to complete.
I think the difference between studying terrorism at Salford and St Andrews would be exponential, as St Andrews has one of the most respected terrorism centres in the UK whereas, as you say, Salford isn't exactly a well respected university. That said, if both courses are similar and both suit you then I doubt the experience would be too different seeing as it's online learning. I don't think it's any less respected than to attend the university in person.
I'm not sure if you've considered SOAS but they have a Masters in Global Diplomacy that may be relevant to your interests:
http://www.soas.ac.uk/cisd/programmes/maglobaldiplomacy/

You also have a few programs via the London International scheme here:
http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/search/?solrsort=sort_title%20asc

The one I wanted to do but didn't have the time was the MSc in History via the University of Edinburgh:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/history-classics-archaeology/graduate-school/programmes/history/taught-msc-history-online
Speaking from experience, prestige counts for very little and online distance learning for postgraduate study is really good.

I've been to a Russell Group and three ex polys. All much of a muchness.
Taking on part-time degree study while working full time is a major undertaking, whether it's distance learning (which actually is harder in that you don't have continuing contact to help motivation) or physical attendance.

It's therefore really important to have a look at the course structure, and any facts and figures you can find. Some questions you can ask are:

what is the time frame for completing the degree? If work is demanding you might need to take a break.
what percentage of people complete the degree (I was horrified when I discovered the dropout rate for my Masters)
are there exit points where you can leave with a postgrad certificate or diploma, if this should become necessary?
when are dates of submission? (so you can plan to take leave then if necessary)
what support is in place for students who are struggling? (I know that sounds pessimistic!)

I know this is pre-empting problems that you may never encounter, but if you're taking on part-time study while working, you need to be confident that you have every chance of completing the course.
It's swings and roundabouts with distance learning in terms of time management. If self motivation isn't an issue for you, time that would be spent travelling to and being in lecturers can be spent reading and getting coursework done. On the other hand, you may be set online tasks to keep you engaged each week so you can't get away with having a bit of an off week like you might if it was an attendance based course.
Reply 6
Original post by Jantaculum
Taking on part-time degree study while working full time is a major undertaking, whether it's distance learning (which actually is harder in that you don't have continuing contact to help motivation) or physical attendance.

It's therefore really important to have a look at the course structure, and any facts and figures you can find. Some questions you can ask are:

what is the time frame for completing the degree? If work is demanding you might need to take a break.
what percentage of people complete the degree (I was horrified when I discovered the dropout rate for my Masters)
are there exit points where you can leave with a postgrad certificate or diploma, if this should become necessary?
what support is in place for students who are struggling? (I know that sounds pessimistic!)

I know this is pre-empting problems that you may never encounter, but if you're taking on part-time study while working, you need to be confident that you have every chance of completing the course.

Hi, thanks for the tips. I prefer independent study to classroom based learning, so I think distance learning would really suit me. I was only in uni 4 hours a week in my final year anyway, and I got 95 for my dissertation so I don't see self motivation as being a problem. Also because it's something I'm really interested in, as opposed to my undergrad degree, I think I would be fine.

I've research into the course, and it's 30 credits per semester part time, which they say to allow 8 hours a week for study. You can also finish with a diploma after 2 years without taking on the dissertation for a masters.
If you're self motivated 30 credits per semester is really manageable. That's what I'm doing and it's really enjoyable. Because I'm more used to full time postgraduate study I'm (touch wood) not struggling to keep on top of it so far. It will take 2 years to be able to get the pgdip (you may also have the option of leaving with a pgcert after one year/60 credits).
What was the dropout rate?

Original post by Jantaculum

Original post by Alter-ego
I currently work full- time in law enforcement and I'm looking into opportunities for postgraduate study, mostly to further my knowledge in an area I'm really interested in, but also for something that could help my career progression .

I've come across a master's degree in Terrorism and Security from the University of Salford, which can be done part-time via online distance learning. This would be ideal for me so I wouldn't have to leave my job to study post grad and it directly relates to an area I can progress into .

What would you think about someone doing an online distance masters degree from a university like Salford? I don't know much about the uni but from what I can gather it's not exactly the most prestigious uni in the UK. :P I already have a first from a Russell Group uni if that makes a difference.

What about the online distance learning itself? Do you not regard it as highly as actually attending the uni and a bit of a waste of time?

The cost of doing the whole course part time for me would be about £4500. There's a similar course at St Andrews, distance learning as well, but it would cost £9000 to complete.

We have a list of Distance Learning programmes that you might be interested in. You can find them here: http://www.soas.ac.uk/distancelearning/

I'll be more than happy to walk you through the process and provide you with any additional information. Hopefully by the end of your experience with us, you'll be able to progress your career just like some of our past graduates who have gone on to become PMs, Heads of State and Nobel Prize Winners.

You can either tag me @SOAS Student Helper or come and visit me on our home page found here

~Mike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending