The Student Room Group

A Level Choice help

I'm in Year 11 and have been predicted mainly A's in my GCSE's for all my subjects.

English
Science (Triple)
Maths
History
Geography
Resistant Materials
Philosophy & Beliefs

It's time now when I have to start filling out application forms for college. I want to be a psychologist (preferably a forensic psychologist) as a career and I just want to know what A Levels I should consider doing. I've been thinking about A level Psychology and History but i'm not sure what else to choose.

Many Thanks
Reply 1
Do you have any idea what university you'd like to go to (if you're planning to do a degree in psychology)? Some psychology courses do have requirements for specific A levels they deem necessary or like to see (sometimes they like you to have a science A level - this may not always be the case), so it might be worth having a look at some of those to see if there are any subjects you might need. Other than that, English would be a good idea as it will really develop your writing skills (literature especially), which is a transferable skill which will help when writing essays and completing assignments etc.

If you end up being left with one more option, my advice would be pick something you'll enjoy (if you haven't already)! It will make it much easier to keep motivated with revision etc.

Hope this helps :smile:

(psychology's definitely a good choice - you'll be able to confirm that's what you want to do after school and, chances are, you'll enjoy it - I'm certainly still enjoying it at A2!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hgalpin
Do you have any idea what university you'd like to go to (if you're planning to do a degree in psychology)? Some psychology courses do have requirements for specific A levels they deem necessary or like to see (sometimes they like you to have a science A level - this may not always be the case), so it might be worth having a look at some of those to see if there are any subjects you might need. Other than that, English would be a good idea as it will really develop your writing skills (literature especially), which is a transferable skill which will help when writing essays and completing assignments etc.

If you end up being left with one more option, my advice would be pick something you'll enjoy (if you haven't already)! It will make it much easier to keep motivated with revision etc.

Hope this helps :smile:

(psychology's definitely a good choice - you'll be able to confirm that's what you want to do after school and, chances are, you'll enjoy it - I'm certainly still enjoying it at A2!)

Thank You, What a great answer! I am thinking of doing a psychology degree so I will be sure to check requirements. I will use your advice in coming up with my decision. Thank You again and good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CGrundy123
Thank You, What a great answer! I am thinking of doing a psychology degree so I will be sure to check requirements. I will use your advice in coming up with my decision. Thank You again and good luck :smile:

I'm happy to have helped and thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest