The Student Room Group

Do you find it hard to walk away from a fight?

Its a big issue I have I really do not like being the person to back down. Just the other day I was driving and this huge black guy was shouting at me to move back eveb though I couldnt go back further and it was his fault for driving such a big car he cant handle. Before I really even thought about it I was undoing my belt and had the door open ready to get out and show him whats what but ny gf stopped me. I dunno why but Im always ready to fight anyone who I feel is treating me wrong I never really get scared even if they are much bigger, chance are the man would have laid me out flat. Its a mentality I can't shake, but its one that has gotten me into trouble many times, I even had a fight right in front of a police station after being released for fighting, they took me straight back in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
Its a big issue I have I really do not like being the person to back down. Just the other day I was driving and this huge black guy was shouting at me to move back eveb though I couldnt go back further and it was his fault for driving such a big car he cant handle. Before I really even thought about it I was undoing my belt and had the door open ready to get out and show him whats what but ny gf stopped me. I dunno why but Im always ready to fight anyone who I feel is treating me wrong I never really get scared even if they are much bigger, chance are the man would have laid me out flat. Its a mentality I can't shake, but its one that has gotten me into trouble many times, I even had a fight right in front of a police station after being released for fighting, they took me straight back in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

riiiispeck fam
No.

it's easy to walk away once they're on the floor out cold.
I've never had a fight in my life but have had 2 friends fight for me (I didn't ask them to, they knew I hated confrontation).

One of my friends hated the girl I had a brief problem with for years and this was her opportunity to fight her, and my other friend was always fighting someone.
some tosser at the supermarket queue started tutting when the machine declined my card ( the card worked fine at another shop 10 minutes later ).
i paid with a different card without any problem. then on the slip road out of the car park he started honking his horn at me. some chav with a personalised number plate & a trashy partner.
i just ignored him and shook my head sadly.
There's a big difference between having fights while you're at school and when you're an adult.

By and large fights at school don't have serious repercussions. You can beat someone up pretty badly and maybe you get suspended from school etc but it's not likely to end up in courts.

The problem with fights as an adult is that either way it ends badly. A lot of guys think right, I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson, but when it comes to the criminal courts you don't have to have done that much to someone to get done for assault, and saying they were provoking you etc isn't likely to help much in mitigation.

When I was at uni my housemate used to bring his mate over to stay with us sometimes who was a law student at a top London uni, he was a sound lad but he did have an impression of himself being hard and he didn't walk away from fights, one of his catchphrases was "mate if someone starts on me proper man, I'll put them on the floor and they won't get up". Anyway the summer after we graduated my housemate found out that this guy had gone to celebrate his exam results on a night out and did coke, there were people squaring up to each other and he couldn't resist getting involved, anyway someone must have started on him and he proved that he could back up his catchphrase because he put the guy on the floor and he didn't get up, because he fractured his skull, smashed his eye socket and cheekbone. Now whilst that was pretty impressive in terms of him showing that he wasn't all talk, the repercussions of that moment were massive for his life, because he had a training contract at a top law firm lined up but instead he went to prison. He came out a few years later but no law career, no graduate jobs coming his way, he's basically struggling around to find work with that criminal record saddling him, it's not just a caution for a bit of weed, he's got to explain on his CV that he served time for GBH.
Reply 6
Personally, I'd rather fight my ego than fight someone else.
Reply 7
Original post by MagicNMedicine
There's a big difference between having fights while you're at school and when you're an adult.

By and large fights at school don't have serious repercussions. You can beat someone up pretty badly and maybe you get suspended from school etc but it's not likely to end up in courts.

The problem with fights as an adult is that either way it ends badly. A lot of guys think right, I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson, but when it comes to the criminal courts you don't have to have done that much to someone to get done for assault, and saying they were provoking you etc isn't likely to help much in mitigation.

When I was at uni my housemate used to bring his mate over to stay with us sometimes who was a law student at a top London uni, he was a sound lad but he did have an impression of himself being hard and he didn't walk away from fights, one of his catchphrases was "mate if someone starts on me proper man, I'll put them on the floor and they won't get up". Anyway the summer after we graduated my housemate found out that this guy had gone to celebrate his exam results on a night out and did coke, there were people squaring up to each other and he couldn't resist getting involved, anyway someone must have started on him and he proved that he could back up his catchphrase because he put the guy on the floor and he didn't get up, because he fractured his skull, smashed his eye socket and cheekbone. Now whilst that was pretty impressive in terms of him showing that he wasn't all talk, the repercussions of that moment were massive for his life, because he had a training contract at a top law firm lined up but instead he went to prison. He came out a few years later but no law career, no graduate jobs coming his way, he's basically struggling around to find work with that criminal record saddling him, it's not just a caution for a bit of weed, he's got to explain on his CV that he served time for GBH.

Beautiful story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Legend
****ing moronic, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

You have self-esteem issues. You feel like you've got something to prove. You worry that the world around you doesn't 'respect' you. Almost all inclinations to fight, unless in self-defence, are absolutely moronic.

You are by far one of the most intelligent and rational posters on this entire website, about pretty much everything.

It is the threat of a criminal record, whereas at school everything is dealt with internally.

Very true. But that still doesn't stop people. Majority won't be scared about not getting a grad job. You'll get two scales 1. Too rich (Best lawyer, don't care about employment) 2. Too poor and stupid (No employment prospects).
I find it hard to walk away but I wouldn't punch someone like an idiotic yoof.
Reply 13
Original post by TheCitizenAct
****ing moronic, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

You have self-esteem issues. You feel like you've got something to prove. You worry that the world around you doesn't 'respect' you. Almost all inclinations to fight, unless in self-defence, are absolutely moronic.

Pussy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never had a fight (i fight with my sister all the time but that doesn't count)

You must be a proper badman innit
Reply 16
Original post by fr0sr_
You must be a proper badman innit

Badder than Michael Jackson

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to want to fight everyone all the time but now I'm a lot calmer. I'll battle verbally against anyone though and antagonise

Quick Reply

Latest