The Student Room Group

Is psychology a good A-level for medicine?

Hiii guys,I want to know if psychology is a good A-level option for the study of medicine. I am currently in year 11 and we have to confirm our final A-level options very soon and i need some advice on what i should take. I also really want to get into medicine; I know that I am taking Chemistry Biology next year, however, i have no idea whether i should take maths or psychology.

I would take maths however i have heard that it is really difficult at A-level and even right now in year 11 i struggle a bit with maths so i'm not sure if taking maths would be wise. I really would like to take psychology but i'm not sure if universities like UCL, Kings College, St George's etc would count psychology as a third science. Could someone please help me?xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by remie-elf
Hiii guys,I want to know if psychology is a good A-level option for the study of medicine. I am currently in year 11 and we have to confirm our final A-level options very soon and i need some advice on what i should take. I also really want to get into medicine; I know that I am taking Chemistry Biology next year, however, i have no idea whether i should take maths or psychology.

I would take maths however i have heard that it is really difficult at A-level and even right now in year 11 i struggle a bit with maths so i'm not sure if taking maths would be wise. I really would like to take psychology but i'm not sure if universities like UCL, Kings College, St George's etc would count psychology as a third science. Could someone please help me?xx

You don't need a third science. Both maths and psychology (which is considered a humanity at most medical schools, I think) are equally acceptable. Pick the one that you think you can get the highest grade in. Psychology might be of some benefit at UCL because they have a preference for applicants with a 'contrasting subject.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You don't need a third science. Both maths and psychology (which is considered a humanity at most medical schools, I think) are equally acceptable. Pick the one that you think you can get the highest grade in. Psychology might be of some benefit at UCL because they have a preference for applicants with a 'contrasting subject.'

I think i'll do better in psychology rather than maths. I know a person that got an A at gcse and got a U in year 12 and i just don't want that to be me
Potentially advantageous, when combined with BioChem and another facilitating subject. If you saw your long term career goal being in the field of psychiatry, it could be an excellent keystone on your personal statement / in interview to demonstrate an interest in how the mind works.
I think i'll do better in psychology rather than maths. I know a person that got an A at gcse and got a U in year 12 and i just don't want that to be me

By all means do so if you have doubts about maths. :smile: With medicine, it doesn't really matter what the third subject is (provided it's not General Studies or Critical Thinking) for most universities, it's whether you can get at least an A in it that counts.
Reply 5
Psychology is a suitable option, I know people who did psychology A-Level and got into medicine. However eventually when you apply, you'll need to either sit the UKCAT or BMAT admissions tests - sometimes retaining basic mathematical (especially arithmetic) and logical reasoning skills can really help with these tests. That's why A-Level Maths has always been a classic facilitating subject. It's up to you though! Both subjects are suitable.
Original post by RDB1826
Psychology is a suitable option, I know people who did psychology A-Level and got into medicine. However eventually when you apply, you'll need to either sit the UKCAT or BMAT admissions tests - sometimes retaining basic mathematical (especially arithmetic) and logical reasoning skills can really help with these tests. That's why A-Level Maths has always been a classic facilitating subject. It's up to you though! Both subjects are suitable.

That's quite reassuring actually! Yeah that's what i'm worried about. I've seen a few questions from a UKCAT admission test and discovered that maths is highly regarded in those tests. Do you think they would put GCSE maths questions or A-level maths questions? Or would it be a mixture of both?
Reply 7
That's quite reassuring actually! Yeah that's what i'm worried about. I've seen a few questions from a UKCAT admission test and discovered that maths is highly regarded in those tests. Do you think they would put GCSE maths questions or A-level maths questions? Or would it be a mixture of both?

Both of these admissions tests require only GCSE maths knowledge, no a level stuff. It's just that doing maths at a level will keep those skills alive if you know what I mean. However you can very easily keep your arithmetic skills sharp without doing a level maths! It's just that sometimes in the UKCAT, because you're under time pressure, having that familiarity with numbers is always helpful. Nevertheless GCSE maths equips you well with the skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi! im on the same boat as you haha, im planning to apply for medicine and im taking bio chem psychology and physics for A levels.
i did a lot of research before i finally decided to take psychology, i did notice something though,some medical schools require either physics or math. i looked a lot into this. so i suggest u think about which one ur considering, some other medical schools only require you to have one subject between bio physics and math, but having neither math or physics can limit ur choices. personally i prefer physics over math, some people find that shocking:biggrin::biggrin:
but generally its fine that u dont have math. as some one else mentioned already, UCL actually has a preference for people with contrasting subjects, and also if u dont take math, it is said that ur stepping out of the typical combination, and i mean, its always good to stand out a little right? :smile:
if your gcse/igcse math mark was good, u shouldnt face a problem when applying :smile:
Original post by behsheedx
Hi! im on the same boat as you haha, im planning to apply for medicine and im taking bio chem psychology and physics for A levels.
i did a lot of research before i finally decided to take psychology, i did notice something though,some medical schools require either physics or math. i looked a lot into this. so i suggest u think about which one ur considering, some other medical schools only require you to have one subject between bio physics and math, but having neither math or physics can limit ur choices.

Only one medical school requires you to take either physics or maths in addition to biology and chemistry and that's Cambridge. Every other medical school in the UK is happy with chemistry, biology, and one other academic subject (plus a fourth AS, usually specified at grade B). Not taking maths or physics limits your options by so little (i.e. only eliminates Cambridge), that it's not even worth putting it like that.

To the OP: You do not need more than chemistry and biology as sciences to apply to medicine to any UK medical school except for Cambridge. Don't listen to anybody who's saying that maths or physics are compulsory for any other medical schools. :/
Original post by behsheedx
i did a lot of research before i finally decided to take psychology, i did notice something though,some medical schools require either physics or math. i looked a lot into this. so i suggest u think about which one ur considering, some other medical schools only require you to have one subject between bio physics and math, but having neither math or physics can limit ur choices. personally i prefer physics over math, some people find that shocking:biggrin::biggrin:
but generally its fine that u dont have math. as some one else mentioned already, UCL actually has a preference for people with contrasting subjects, and also if u dont take math, it is said that ur stepping out of the typical combination, and i mean, its always good to stand out a little right? :smile:
if your gcse/igcse math mark was good, u shouldnt face a problem when applying :smile:

Honestly that is so so so relieving! I've been stressing out about this for the past two weeks! I strongly dislike physics as i've always been rubbish at it so I'm definitely not taking that next year. They have also changed the A-level course as now we are required to take 3 A-levels rather than 4. Yeah i recognised that some uni's look out for maths and physics so that's what worried me a lot but I think i'll just stick to Bio Chem and Psychology. Thank you so much for your input though!! :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman
Only one medical school requires you to take either physics or maths in addition to biology and chemistry and that's Cambridge. Every other medical school in the UK is happy with chemistry, biology, and one other academic subject (plus a fourth AS, usually specified at grade B). Not taking maths or physics limits your options by so little (i.e. only eliminates Cambridge), that it's not even worth putting it like that.

To the OP: You do not need more than chemistry and biology as sciences to apply to medicine to any UK medical school except for Cambridge. Don't listen to anybody who's saying that maths or physics are compulsory for any other medical schools. :/

This just made things so much clearer for me! I feel like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulder. I wasn't actually planning on applying to Cambridge as i don't really think I have a chance of getting an interview any way haha. If you were in my place what would you do? Also, would an EPQ count as a good fourth subject? Or should i just stick to Bio, Chem and Psychology?
This just made things so much clearer for me! I feel like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulder. I wasn't actually planning on applying to Cambridge as i don't really think I have a chance of getting an interview any way haha. If you were in my place what would you do? Also, would an EPQ count as a good fourth subject? Or should i just stick to Bio, Chem and Psychology?

If I were in your place, I'd take psychology because you seem to be better at that than maths and, at the end of the day, all you need from the third subject is an A grade to meet your offer. Nothing more. :smile:
I do both Maths and Psychology at AS. Remember its only been a few weeks but man, maths is so hard, for some topics I can do the simple questions but its so hard. However both of my brothers got A*s so idk. Psychology we are still doing research methods which is quite boring but its not that hard.
Psychology is okay. Maths is tough but then so is medicine, so it's not a bad thing to challenging yourself early. Strategically, I suppose you should do the subject you're best in because you're more likely to get the AAA.
I would say yes! I did Bio, Chem and Psych at A2 and received 3 offers for medicine so I really don't think it was a disadvantage in any way (despite my head of sixth form saying it would be a really bad idea to not do 3 sciences). If you think you'll be able to get an A or A* in psych, take it! :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
If I were in your place, I'd take psychology because you seem to be better at that than maths and, at the end of the day, all you need from the third subject is an A grade to meet your offer. Nothing more. :smile:

Awe thank you so much for your help. You're a gem!! You've helped me out so much. I just hope I get good grades for my gcse's first :h:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I would say yes! I did Bio, Chem and Psych at A2 and received 3 offers for medicine so I really don't think it was a disadvantage in any way (despite my head of sixth form saying it would be a really bad idea to not do 3 sciences). If you think you'll be able to get an A or A* in psych, take it! :smile:

Oh wow that's fantastic ! Congratulations!! I think i will have to speak to my head of year just to see what her insight is. If you don't mind me asking, which uni's offered you a place for medicine ?xx
Original post by jambojim97
Potentially advantageous, when combined with BioChem and another facilitating subject. If you saw your long term career goal being in the field of psychiatry, it could be an excellent keystone on your personal statement / in interview to demonstrate an interest in how the mind works.

That's quite the relief for me, however, my goal is to become a pediatrician. What would you consider a facilitating subject ?
Original post by Kholmes1
I do both Maths and Psychology at AS. Remember its only been a few weeks but man, maths is so hard, for some topics I can do the simple questions but its so hard. However both of my brothers got A*s so idk. Psychology we are still doing research methods which is quite boring but its not that hard.

Good luck with your A-levels!! That's what i'm rally worried about i don't want to take maths and ending up failing... I spoke to my maths teacher and she even admitted that A-level mtgs is quite difficult. Which subject do you enjoy more?

Quick Reply

Latest