The Student Room Group

can you sue the property agent if he sells you a haunted house without telling you?

If you bought a cheap second hand house that turns out to be haunted, but the owner/ agent withheld the information, can you sue them for not letting you know ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dead
Reply 2
Ghosts arent real.
Reply 3
Original post by K.C
dead

The realest ^
Original post by HucktheForde
If you bought a cheap second hand house that turns out to be haunted, but the owner/ agent withheld the information, can you sue them for not letting you know ?

Best thing would be to haunt him when you go.
Reply 5
If I bought a house that turned out to be haunted, I would find the smoke generators, projectors, and concealed speakers and sell them for a tidy profit on eBay.
Reply 6
How exactly do you plan to prove that the house is haunted in court? Can you call the ghost as a witness?
Reply 7

Spoiler

Original post by joospls
Ghosts arent real.

i've not seen one myself. but i heard of property agent saying from their experience. there are some house sold at a cheap price turns out to be haunted.
Lol, estate agent totally mugged you off, it's too late now 😂
This actually happened in...America (of course!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stambovsky_v._Ackley

Stambovsky v. Ackley, 169 A.D.2d 254 (N.Y. App. Div. 1991), commonly known as the Ghostbusters ruling, is a case in the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, that held that a house, which the owner had previously advertised to the public as haunted by ghosts, was legally haunted for the purpose of an action for rescission brought by a subsequent purchaser of the house.

You also get it with other non-supernatural but unwelcome happenings like murders, suicides etc.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmatized_property
Original post by K.C
dead

As are the previous owners
Reply 12
i've not seen one myself. but i heard of property agent saying from their experience. there are some house sold at a cheap price turns out to be haunted.

Then flip the tables and haunt them back, lets see how they like it.
Original post by Dez
How exactly do you plan to prove that the house is haunted in court? Can you call the ghost as a witness?

"M'Lud, the use of the ouija board before the jury surely cannot be permissible at law!".

"Well this is rather an exceptional case. I'll allow it, but the ghostly presence must refrain from any further bad language in my court."
Reply 14

Yes.

If the owner or agents withhold knowledge that they know could affect the sales value then you can indeed sue.
Turning this around slightly, could you claim to have seen a vision of God (or something equally religious) in the house to increase the selling price to gullible believers?
We don't need no ghosts at our crib.

Soooo if you've only heard of it happening, how does this apply to you exactly??
Original post by Reue
Yes.

If the owner or agents withhold knowledge that they know could affect the sales value then you can indeed sue.

Seriously?

This is the most moronic nonsense I have read in my life, there is no way you could ever prove ghosts are real (they're not real FFS) so how can they withhold information of something which is not proven? It's not an actual observable, physical quality, like damaged foundations.
Original post by TheRadUser
Seriously?

This is the most moronic nonsense I have read in my life, there is no way you could ever prove ghosts are real (they're not real FFS) so how can they withhold information of something which is not proven? It's not an actual observable, physical quality, like damaged foundations.

maybe the house owner withheld information that can lead to undesirable market value such as murder / suicide took place in the house or history of renting. If a house switch tenants every 2-3 months there usually is something very wrong with the house...maybe something spooky.....

Quick Reply

Latest