The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dani2006
Hi Hannah

I have applied for The Forge, Liberty Court and The Anvil. When do you normally find out which halls you have been allocated if you have an unconditional offer?

You can request to stay in any halls you like - they're not allocated on a course basis. Our accommodation team try to mix you up a bit so you're living with different people to who you study with, giving you a chance to make friends with a whole different set of people! :banana:

If you do want to live with your friends, you can both request it on your accommodation application form.

Which halls are you thinking of applying for? :h:

Hannah
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by pgce2004
Hey, just double checking is the £550 price for Central Quay definitely correct and not a typo haha? Seems hugely expensive compared to the others

Hey,

Yes, it is correct. I double checked as it was considerably higher than the other locations, but yes Central Quay do charge that much for parking. Something you might want to consider! :s

You could speak to UNITE accommodation directly, if you wanted to talk to them about why it's so much higher than their other locations. UNITE is the company that own and manage Central Quay and some of our other accommodation buildings.

Hope that's helpful. What are you thinking at the minute re: accomm?

Laura :smile:
Original post by catpratt
Hiya,

At the moment I am choosing my accommodation! So far I have applied for Leadmill Point (1st choice), Pinnacles (2nd) and im not sure what to have as third I'm torn between Liberty Hall and Devonshire Courtyard. Can someone give me some guidance?

Also follow up question, online it says all the different rooms available e.g. large ensuite, single ensuite. Do you at somepoint choose them or do you just get assigned one?

Catherine

Hey Catherine,

It looks like we overlooked the second part of your message! Sorry :frown:

On your accommodation application, there should be a box for notes where you can add any requirements you have. You should write in here whether you'd prefer a large en-suite. Availability will be very limited, however as there tends to only be one large bedroom per flat and if a student has a specific requirement it may be that someone will be chosen over you.

Laura
I've just had an offer for Central Quay, how do I find people in the same halls or the same flat as me?
Reply 164
hey, how do you get a parking permit for bramall court for 2017-2018?
Original post by racheljefferies
I've just had an offer for Central Quay, how do I find people in the same halls or the same flat as me?

Have you tried looking for any Sheffield Hallam Freshers' pages on Facebook? That's how I found the people living in my flat when I was about to move in.

Some people had posted their accommodation and rooms onto the page and then they created a group chat. There may also be separate pages for Central Quays that you could find on there. :smile:
Reply 166
Hi Hannah,I've got an unconditional offer for shef hallam but my details wont work on the accommodation register page. Its been around 10 days since I got my student ID and it still says my details aren't in the system. Any advice?ThanksJosh
Original post by Tomo91
Hi Hannah,I've got an unconditional offer for shef hallam but my details wont work on the accommodation register page. Its been around 10 days since I got my student ID and it still says my details aren't in the system. Any advice?ThanksJosh

Hi Josh,

Have you accepted your offer on UCAS Track? Once you've been made an offer, you need to accept it on UCAS Track, and then wait 48 hours before you try to apply for accommodation.

Let me know how you get on.

Hannah
Reply 168
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi Josh,

Have you accepted your offer on UCAS Track? Once you've been made an offer, you need to accept it on UCAS Track, and then wait 48 hours before you try to apply for accommodation.

Let me know how you get on.

Hannah

It's working now Hannah thankyou.

Josh
Still can't decide if to move out or not haha.

These are the things holding me back I guess:
Car - had it since May
Budgeting since I go to gym and eat a lot
Lose Disability money I believe
Few other things

But I do see the benefits of it's easier to get back to my room, might be better to study in, independence etc.

Any advice? Obviously need to decide soon to get accommodation.
Original post by SirHotWings

Car - had it since May
Few other things

But I do see the benefits of it's easier to get back to my room, might be better to study in, independence etc.

Hey there,

I don't have personal experience of commuting, but I do currently keep my car at university. I had to pay £36 for a parking permit for the year for this, but over summer I have been going back and forth from home back to Sheffield so it's been worth it for me. Some accommodation has parking but this is often a lot more expensive, and to be honest, you don't need a car if you live in the city centre of Sheffield if the only places you're going are town and uni. The transport links are really good and essential places are in walking distance. Your car will be fine at home for you to go back and use it, or you could sell it and use the money for living costs.

Budgeting is probably one of the most difficult parts of living independently for me, as I'm somebody who eats a lot and not in a very structured way! As for gyms, I would recommend looking into gyms in the city centre and seeing whether you think they'd fit into your budget if you did move out or whether you'd struggle to afford to live the same way that you currently do. I've been a member of a gym in both years that I've been here and have fit them into my budget fairly easily, as there are some cheaper ones about!

You are able to apply for DSA (disabled students' allowances) when you're at university, which might be a reassurance if that's something you were worried about. They can not only give you funding, but depending on your disabilities they can give you alternative aid such as giving you lecture slides in advance on Blackboard, giving you tape recorders to record and listen back to lectures, giving you a certain amount of taxi rides, giving you a laptop/any other specific equipment you require, and so much more help tailored to your specific needs. I would certainly advise you to look into that, my friends that I know who've applied have found it extremely helpful!!!

Independence is great, as well as being right in the middle of all the fun things that are going on. But there are pros to commuting too, especially like saving money. I know that @annablagg has commuted to university - Anna could you give any more advice from your point of view? :smile:

Hope this helped,

Ellie
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey there,

I don't have personal experience of commuting, but I do currently keep my car at university. I had to pay £36 for a parking permit for the year for this, but over summer I have been going back and forth from home back to Sheffield so it's been worth it for me. Some accommodation has parking but this is often a lot more expensive, and to be honest, you don't need a car if you live in the city centre of Sheffield if the only places you're going are town and uni. The transport links are really good and essential places are in walking distance. Your car will be fine at home for you to go back and use it, or you could sell it and use the money for living costs.

Budgeting is probably one of the most difficult parts of living independently for me, as I'm somebody who eats a lot and not in a very structured way! As for gyms, I would recommend looking into gyms in the city centre and seeing whether you think they'd fit into your budget if you did move out or whether you'd struggle to afford to live the same way that you currently do. I've been a member of a gym in both years that I've been here and have fit them into my budget fairly easily, as there are some cheaper ones about!

You are able to apply for DSA (disabled students' allowances) when you're at university, which might be a reassurance if that's something you were worried about. They can not only give you funding, but depending on your disabilities they can give you alternative aid such as giving you lecture slides in advance on Blackboard, giving you tape recorders to record and listen back to lectures, giving you a certain amount of taxi rides, giving you a laptop/any other specific equipment you require, and so much more help tailored to your specific needs. I would certainly advise you to look into that, my friends that I know who've applied have found it extremely helpful!!!

Independence is great, as well as being right in the middle of all the fun things that are going on. But there are pros to commuting too, especially like saving money. I know that @annablagg has commuted to university - Anna could you give any more advice from your point of view? :smile:

Hope this helped,

Ellie

Really appreciate the insight thank you. Still waiting to see what accommodation I get in the end, if it's not what I want then I am definitely staying at home.

Where do you pay for a parking permit????

Thanks.

Car - had it since May
Few other things

Hey,

Don't worry about being a bit confused - it is a big decision that needs time to ponder! Anyway, as @SHUGURU said, I study at Hallam, live at home, and commute - and I do not regret any of this for a second! Being a commuter has never stopped me from becoming involved in the typical "student life antics" and I have never felt isolated from the whole University community. From the start, I made friends with fellow course mates who either commuted or lived in student accommodation, involved myself in socials and never missed out on a good bar crawl! During my time at Hallam, I really do feel like I have had the 'best of both worlds', as I have been able to stay over at mates flats after nights-out, but also been able to escape from the madness at home when I have needed to get my head down with work! University is what you make of it - Involve yourself in lots of socials and societies, go to Fresher's week, make friends with your course mates and you can't go far wrong.

I hope you make the decision that suits you - Good luck :smile:
Really appreciate the insight thank you. Still waiting to see what accommodation I get in the end, if it's not what I want then I am definitely staying at home.

Where do you pay for a parking permit????

Thanks.

It depends where you want to park - if it's at the accommodation then you'll sort it out with them, but if it's on the parking spaces on the roadside, you can pay on the Sheffield City council website. You put in your license place and some more information and then they have it in their records (I think the traffic wardens scan your number plate to see if it's been permitted).
Hello,
I applied for accommodation a few days after results day due to awaiting my results and everything but I was wondering what happens if my application doesn't get processed in time before uni starts? Two of the accommodations start date that I applied for is the 9th but my application is still on 'awaiting allocation' so i'm starting to get worried about starting university and having nowhere to live haha
Thanks,
Izzy :smile:
Original post by izzy177
Hello,
I applied for accommodation a few days after results day due to awaiting my results and everything but I was wondering what happens if my application doesn't get processed in time before uni starts? Two of the accommodations start date that I applied for is the 9th but my application is still on 'awaiting allocation' so i'm starting to get worried about starting university and having nowhere to live haha
Thanks,
Izzy :smile:

Hi Izzy,

Your application should be processed in time for uni starting. Welcome week begins on 18 September so most people will probably move in the weekend before that - around the 16th. Don't worry about it - you're definitely not on your own! :smile:

Hannah
Read multiple reports of shockingly slow internet and incessant fire alarms at The Forge... can anyone confirm if there is any truth to this?
Thanks
Available now - An en-suite room with a 3/4 sized bed at Central Quay accommodation (run by Unite). The kitchen is shared with 4 flatmates. Ground floor flat so easily accessible, but facing the courtyard so sound from outdoors isn't a problem. The accommodation has laundry facilities, a free on-site gym, a study room, a games room and a tv area. Easy access to Hallam and Uni of Sheffield by walking or bus and well located to the city centre, as well as 2 big Tesco supermarkets nearby. The price is £102 per week and the contract runs until July 2018. Rent isn't due until late October. PM me for details.
STUDENT ACCOMMODATION FOR RENTAL AT THE PINNACLES!! En-suite room with 3/4 bed, 100mb WIFI, study space including desk and desk chair, shared kitchen and living area. Contract is with a company called DIGS and is £4,392.75 for 44 week (£107 a week) contract. There is washing facilities and a common room located on site along with a convenience store and free cashpoint. Perfect for students at Sheffield Hallam University or University of Sheffield. Ideal location just 5-10 minute walk from Sheffield Hallam University and 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. Will leave cleaning supplies for room and ensuite. Looking for someone to take over my student accommodation as I've to drop out of university due to unforeseen circumstances
Whens a good time to start looking at accomodation? I'm thinking around March time, at which I will have confirmed my place with SHU.

I wanted to go into the private sector straight away - just personally I think it's more convenient, cheaper (this is the important one) etc. etc.

Do you have any resources you could recommend for me to read through?

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending