The Student Room Group

Oxford Offer Holders (2016 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lau14
Physics is an incredibly employable degree (as we were told many many times at every open day at every university I went to) - the skills you get from a physics degree can lead on to lots of careers including stuff like banking and finance, not just research/teaching etc. I've only just finished first year, I have no clue what I'm going to do after - maybe a phd or something, if the degree goes well and I think I'll enjoy it.

Physics over engineering because they are very different subjects when you get down to it and I have little to no interest in engineering personally.

" Applicants for physics may also nominate materials science as a second choice course. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short‐listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for physics will be made. Candidates who are short‐listed for materials science but not short‐ listed for physics will be reallocated to a college which offers materials science if necessary".
Are you allowed to put a second chocie on the application would that affect your chances in any way of getting into one of the courses, would you look confused?
Reply 81
Original post by NatoHeadshot
" Applicants for physics may also nominate materials science as a second choice course. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short‐listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for physics will be made. Candidates who are short‐listed for materials science but not short‐ listed for physics will be reallocated to a college which offers materials science if necessary".
Are you allowed to put a second chocie on the application would that affect your chances in any way of getting into one of the courses, would you look confused?

If I were you I would keep chemistry. I would devote my time to chemistry (through the summer). It really does not make a huge difference.......FM or chemistry.
Original post by BioOx
If I were you I would keep chemistry. I would devote my time to chemistry (through the summer). It really does not make a huge difference.......FM or chemistry.

You do have a point do you mean because chemistry wouldnt be self taught? Id do it at school so id have a better chance, id say chemsitry is a little harder then maths so far at least :P So much memorizing Also do you mind checkign my post above this i meant it as a quick reply but as you can see im a little clumsy
Reply 83
I've just logged in on UCAS. I am applying also this year (for biological sciences tho)
I do not know how that works. To me it seems tat you can somehow apply for both or you just apply for physics and they can SOMEHOW consider you for material sciences since you have to do PAT for both?!
I am the clumsiest person that ever existed
Original post by BioOx
I've just logged in on UCAS. I am applying also this year (for biological sciences tho)
I do not know how that works. To me it seems tat you can somehow apply for both or you just apply for physics and they can SOMEHOW consider you for material sciences since you have to do PAT for both?!
I am the clumsiest person that ever existed

I hope soemone can give me some light on this soon from this thread. Ive emailed oxford anyway
Reply 85
Original post by NatoHeadshot

What they mean is that if you apply for Physics, they will email you and ask if you want to be considered for Materials Science as well. You don't have to do anything special for this and it doesn't go anywhere on your UCAS application, and you can't have any other subjects as a second choice. I think it's done because Materials Science isn't a very popular course, whereas Physics is. Look into the course and don't bother agreeing unless you actually want to do it, because Oxford is a lot of work and you really have to like the course you're doing. You'll have some extra interviews and a chance of getting in for Materials Science if and only if you don't get a place for Physics.
You lot have been very quiet! :eek: Unless I've massively missed something and there's an alternate thread (in which case, someone please point me to it?!)? :colondollar:

I believe I'm correct in saying that next week Thursday is results day for A Level candidates. So, in usual form, I would like to impart a few words of congratulations, consolations, and general TLG wisdom :shakecane: :yep: :smartass:

For those who have an unconditional offer, or who meet their grades

Congrats! :party: Welcome to the House of Fun :colone:

For those who miss their grades, but somehow get in anyway

You are the best/most cool people EVER :smug: Unbiased opinion, naturally :ninja: :angel: :teehee:

For those who miss their grades, and are turned away

It may seem like the end of the world if this happens, and as if you have let yourself and/or others down. This is far from the truth/the case, though. We are very fortunate in the UK to have several world-class universities, and even more world-class departments scattered across various universities that (as a whole/overall) may not be considered world-class.

There are many reasons why you have missed the grades of your offer conditions. But an A Level grade (or two/three/more!) does NOT define you. It does not make you less intelligent, and it does not mean that you can't succeed wherever you end up. You got an Oxford offer, so you are clearly intelligent beyond average levels, and are a high achiever. Not getting your Oxford place does not negate these facts.

So don't get too hung up on Oxford. It will hurt and smart for a little while but come Freshers' Week in your insurance choice or clearing place, or whatever you end up doing on a gap year, and you will soon be doing great things, meeting wonderful people and having the time of your life.

The world is your oyster and there for the taking - you just need to seize whatever opportunities come your way with both hands and run with them! :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :nutcase:
Reply 87
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You lot have been very quiet! :eek: Unless I've massively missed something and there's an alternate thread (in which case, someone please point me to it?!)? :colondollar:

I believe I'm correct in saying that next week Thursday is results day for A Level candidates. So, in usual form, I would like to impart a few words of congratulations, consolations, and general TLG wisdom :shakecane: :yep: :smartass:

For those who have an unconditional offer, or who meet their grades

Congrats! :party: Welcome to the House of Fun :colone:

For those who miss their grades, but somehow get in anyway

You are the best/most cool people EVER :smug: Unbiased opinion, naturally :ninja: :angel: :teehee:

For those who miss their grades, and are turned away

It may seem like the end of the world if this happens, and as if you have let yourself and/or others down. This is far from the truth/the case, though. We are very fortunate in the UK to have several world-class universities, and even more world-class departments scattered across various universities that (as a whole/overall) may not be considered world-class.

There are many reasons why you have missed the grades of your offer conditions. But an A Level grade (or two/three/more!) does NOT define you. It does not make you less intelligent, and it does not mean that you can't succeed wherever you end up. You got an Oxford offer, so you are clearly intelligent beyond average levels, and are a high achiever. Not getting your Oxford place does not negate these facts.

So don't get too hung up on Oxford. It will hurt and smart for a little while but come Freshers' Week in your insurance choice or clearing place, or whatever you end up doing on a gap year, and you will soon be doing great things, meeting wonderful people and having the time of your life.

The world is your oyster and there for the taking - you just need to seize whatever opportunities come your way with both hands and run with them! :biggrin:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :nutcase:

PRSOM
With regards to UCAS Track, is Oxford good at updating it for Results Day or can we expect to have no indication until we pick up our results?
Original post by SidTheDalek
With regards to UCAS Track, is Oxford good at updating it for Results Day or can we expect to have no indication until we pick up our results?

Unless things have radically changed recently, it'll take a number of days for anything regarding your Oxford place to be indicated on Track :eek:
Unless things have radically changed recently, it'll take a number of days for anything regarding your Oxford place to be indicated on Track :eek:

Haha, why am I not surprised? Thanks.
Reply 91
Original post by SidTheDalek

Yep as mentioned above it will take a few weeks for them to update UCAS Track, you'll find out first by results + letter/possibly email.
Original post by Lau14
Yep as mentioned above it will take a few weeks for them to update UCAS Track, you'll find out first by results + letter/possibly email.

is there a reason why it takes so long? :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by NazanAyseOsman

I don't actually know (maybe try @BrasenoseAdm?)
Reply 94
If, god forbid, we don't exactly meet our offer on Results Day and our status on Track is unchanged, who are we to contact? Our college (and then speak to our tutors) or a central department?
Original post by NazanAyseOsman

We reckon UCAS Track will be updated by 8am on Thursday, assuming a decision has been made. If there is a delay (ie decision pending) the main reason would be because of an incomplete A-level result.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We reckon UCAS Track will be updated by 8am on Thursday, assuming a decision has been made. If there is a delay (ie decision pending) the main reason would be because of an incomplete A-level result.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you for the reply! By incomplete A level result do you mean someone who has failed to meet the conditions in their offer grade-wise?
Original post by Aquaxo
If, god forbid, we don't exactly meet our offer on Results Day and our status on Track is unchanged, who are we to contact? Our college (and then speak to our tutors) or a central department?

You contact the admissions administrator (so whoever you addressed any written work in the post to before you were invited for interview) at your college. I doubt you'd be able to speak to the subject tutors. They will have already made a non-negotiable decision, to be conveyed to you via the admissions team :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau14
I don't actually know (maybe try @BrasenoseAdm?)

Hey sorry if this is a bad place to mention this but how do you reccomend to study for the pat I Remmeber that you were accepted for physics right now I've just been going through and solving the pat papers and I haven't really done it under timee conditions. And I'm running out of papers I'm mainly doing the maths section currentl
Any other good practices for mats you think?
They will have already made a non-negotiable decision, to be conveyed to you via the admissions team :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That made me die a little bit inside

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending