The Student Room Group

Any questions about launching your career in Film/ TV?

Hi there

I work at Met Film School, a school which focuses on practical training within the screen arts and getting our grads work placements and jobs within the industry. In my role, it's important that I'm always up-to-date with what employers are looking for in terms of key skills that you need to find work.

Let me know if you need any advice; for upcoming interviews, courses or even if you're thinking about freelancing once you finish Uni. I'll be glad to help!

Look forward to hearing from you all!
Lauren (MFS)
Reply 1
Original post by Met Film School
x

Hi Lauren.I have applied to two filmmaking courses and I'm really concerned about my portfolio (if I even manage to get a interview) and how little camera work I have done. I'm currently doing a Creative Media course in college and so far I haven't had any units that include film making with cameras etc. My portfolio is mostly editing skills (small examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGJ3RQIBNg & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPCpEf3zto) so considering I've not got anything to show them that actually has footage I've recorded via camera what else should I include in my portfolio?

The only thing that makes me stand out so far is that I've done some work experience where I had to help edit and film video testimonies for ex offenders for a charity.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by Noodle0
Hi Lauren.I have applied to two filmmaking courses and I'm really concerned about my portfolio (if I even manage to get a interview) and how little camera work I have done. I'm currently doing a Creative Media course in college and so far I haven't had any units that include film making with cameras etc. My portfolio is mostly editing skills (small examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbGJ3RQIBNg & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPCpEf3zto) so considering I've not got anything to show them that actually has footage I've recorded via camera what else should I include in my portfolio?

The only thing that makes me stand out so far is that I've done some work experience where I had to help edit and film video testimonies for ex offenders for a charity.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there!

First of all, don't be too worried- you're not meant to be camera proficient and have a great portfolio yet, that's what your undergraduate course is for. Instead Universities are looking for students with the right personality- they want hard working, creative individuals who are passionate about getting into the screen industries and would be an asset in the class. The fact that you have started playing around with editing already is a great start. I would also put in some pieces of creative writing if you have any (just knowing that you have sat down and created an original piece of work is a huge help in your portfolio), any still photography that you have taken and think looks interesting (play with colour and light) and also make sure that you get your passion for filmmaking across in your personal statement. Best of luck!
Reply 3
Are there any additional production costs for the MA programmes? Though I know there are no guarantees, could you tell me about job opportunities for graduates?
Original post by bags!!
Are there any additional production costs for the MA programmes? Though I know there are no guarantees, could you tell me about job opportunities for graduates?

Hi There!

Good question! Thanks for getting in touch.

In relation to the production costs: while students are expected to budget for production costs, there is no reason why these should be in any way excessive. It may be something simple like transporting your kit or re-imbursing an actor’s travel. Part of what we do here is teach students to be thrifty independent filmmakers and keeping budgets to an absolute minimum is part of that.

I'm glad you asked about job opportunities, because it is an area that Met is particularly proud of. The first thing i'd say is that - compared to some other institutions - our courses are geared towards creating employable graduates. The curriculum for our practical courses are designed to instil skills that prepare you to be able to begin roles within the industry.

With the MA in particular, the course features an 'industry project', whereby students respond to a real life client brief and work with their fellow students to deliver a filmed project. In doing this, our students already leave with industry experience.

Finally, i'd like to mention our in-house graduate opportunities team MetGo, who are dedicated to helping current students and recent graduates take the first steps in their professional careers within the film, television and creative media industries. They offer opportunities to both students and graduates to gain practical experience through employment and in entrepreneurial roles; to support student films in festivals and to maintain ongoing relationships with graduates. Find out more here.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to get in touch with any further questions. Just so you know, we also have a postgraduate open evening in July which is a great opportunity to find out more about what we do.

Thanks
Danny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending