The Student Room Group

i find it so hard to revise for maths??

Okay, so i literally have no idea how to study for a maths exam. I can't just pick up my maths book, and look at my notes and revise, i find that so hard for some reason. So for the past few years, i have never revised for a maths exam because i don't know how to. I feel i could do so much better in maths exams if i studied but i just need some techniques that will allow me to get the things i have learnt, to stick in my head for the exam. I just think that if i know how to revise, i might have a chance at passing my maths GCSE.
If anyone has any ideas on what i could do, i would really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by EternalKiss
Okay, so i literally have no idea how to study for a maths exam. I can't just pick up my maths book, and look at my notes and revise, i find that so hard for some reason. So for the past few years, i have never revised for a maths exam because i don't know how to. I feel i could do so much better in maths exams if i studied but i just need some techniques that will allow me to get the things i have learnt, to stick in my head for the exam. I just think that if i know how to revise, i might have a chance at passing my maths GCSE.
If anyone has any ideas on what i could do, i would really appreciate it :smile:

The ultimate way to test your understanding and whether your revision has worked is to do questions. They will tell you the areas you are strong in and what you need to work on. Do you have a course textbook? They usually have plenty of exercises to do. Once you have done a few, then you can decide which areas need attention and then read up on those. Rinse and repeat.
Get some worksheets or look at questions in the text book and do them

If you can't do them then look at your notes to see how to do them or look in the textbook at the bit that explains how to do them or you can even Google it for help

Or you could just do past papers and get help wherever you go wrong :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EternalKiss

Try some past papers
Reply 4
I got an A* at GCSE, and I'm currently doing Double Maths at AS Level. My advice is, do TONS of questions, especially exam questions. Get a few past papers, and attempt every question. Then mark the paper and find out what you got wrong and why. Finally if there's anything you didn't understand or couldn't do at all, go get a textbook or a website and re-learn it from scratch. Then re-attempt the question with your new knowledge.

This guy does loads of videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTzAco9cOFj9gm9ihRxm0iQ
His website: http://www.m4ths.com/
100 hard A* GCSE questions: http://www.m4ths.com/100-hard-a-gcse-questions.html

Quick Reply

Latest