The Student Room Group

Are the strong A Level subjects?

So, I'm picking my subjects for A level and was wondering if these were strong subjects. I want to go into a degree in regards to finance or economics to then pursue a career hopefully in investment banking.

1. Mathematics
2. English Lit.
3. Economics
4. Govt. & Politics

Would be willing to change gov and politics for Religious studies if it is week.

What do you guys think?
Further Maths would be useful if you wanted to do Economics at an IB target uni (Oxbridge, Londons, Warwick).
Reply 2
Maybe do further maths? I study economics at uni and I did economics, maths, biology (+ Chemistry at AS Level) but now I feel like further maths would have really helped me
Reply 3
Original post by nju
Maybe do further maths? I study economics at uni and I did economics, maths, biology (+ Chemistry at AS Level) but now I feel like further maths would have really helped me

hmm, I am fairly good at Maths. Should secure an A possibly an A* but have a feeling it will be too challenging to take further maths.

Do you mind me asking what you got for A Levels, what uni you went and how the course was?
Reply 4
Original post by txnk
hmm, I am fairly good at Maths. Should secure an A possibly an A* but have a feeling it will be too challenging to take further maths.

Do you mind me asking what you got for A Levels, what uni you went and how the course was?

I got A*AA with the A* in maths and study at ucl. The course has a big emphasis on maths which is why I wished that I took further maths because it would have especially helped during my first year
Reply 5
Original post by txnk
So, I'm picking my subjects for A level and was wondering if these were strong subjects. I want to go into a degree in regards to finance or economics to then pursue a career hopefully in investment banking.

1. Mathematics
2. English Lit.
3. Economics
4. Govt. & Politics

Would be willing to change gov and politics for Religious studies if it is week.

What do you guys think?

Most people have already said, but i would definitely consider replacing Gov&Pol/English Lit with Further Maths, especially if you are considering LSE/Oxbridge/Warwick and the likes

Quick Reply

Latest