After Merkel's migrant disaster, should referendums be required before major changes? Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am not saying referendums should be held for all political decisions, but if a political leader wants to make a major decision, such as Merkel has in this case, should they be required to hold a referendum to gain the approval of the people?
Squirrel777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We should not consider Merkel's solution but Jeremy Corbyn's solution as he understands sustainable immigration
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No - Most of the electorate, when they do bother to cast their vote, are largely ignorant of the issues involved.

It'd be "Tyranny of the ignorants".
Squirrel777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
No - Most of the electorate, when they do bother to cast their vote, are largely ignorant of the issues involved.

You are wrong, what a childish claim
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Yeah thats democracy in general. Take it or leave it.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Squirrel777)
You are wrong, what a childish claim
Not so. Our current form of democracy brings out the self-serving, self-interest and narcissism that it was never intended to do.

Instead of asking how best we can serve the country, we demand democracy serve us, as individuals.

That is why it is "Tyranny of the Ignorants".
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you take a different approach in relation to the Syrian airstrikes and the fact that most people were against them, yet they were pushed through by Parliament?
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you take a different approach in relation to the Syrian airstrikes and the fact that most people were against them, yet they were pushed through by Parliament?
If I recall my position correctly, it was that Parliament did not need to vote in order for the PM to authorize military action.

My position was that the vote was a farce, something that was unnecessary and which simply highlighted the disconnection some politicians had with the electorate, bearing in mind that the Conservatives were whipped to vote in favor, over the concerns raised by those on the Select Defence Committees.
mmm778899
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Its "ignorant" to fear rape?
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
I am not saying referendums should be held for all political decisions, but if a political leader wants to make a major decision, such as Merkel has in this case, should they be required to hold a referendum to gain the approval of the people?
I would support popular referendums like in Switzerland.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mmm778899)
It's "ignorant" to resort to illogical and irrational rhetoric, as justification for discrimination, racism, xenophobia or prejudice.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
I would support popular referendums like in Switzerland.
It'd be quite unfeasible for the UK, given the populace and the general apathy towards politics.
Ethereal World
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I recall my position correctly, it was that Parliament did not need to vote in order for the PM to authorize military action.

My position was that the vote was a farce, something that was unnecessary and which simply highlighted the disconnection some politicians had with the electorate, bearing in mind that the Conservatives were whipped to vote in favor, over the concerns raised by those on the Select Defence Committees.
Do you think the conservatives used it as a political tool then potentially bevause with a whipped vote it would obviously be passed?

They knew it would get a lot of media attention which inevitably focused more on divisions in the Labour Party (especially Benn) and less on the actual issue I.e military action in Syria?

So it was a good bit of 'EVERYONE, look at how divided labour are, what a joke, lol'.
Ethereal World
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's "ignorant" to resort to illogical and irrational rhetoric, as justification for discrimination, racism, xenophobia or prejudice.
Amazing response.
Sgt_Haytham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
TheArtofProtest showing us the Art of being a mongrel.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
TheArtofProtest showing us the Art of being a mongrel.
I was informed by the CT that specific username had already been taken, in spirit, by you.
Sgt_Haytham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was informed by the CT that specific username had already been taken, in spirit, by you.
HA. HA.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. Referendum's rarely exercise the important issues involved. They are vulnerable to spin and seductive rhetoric. Simply see the SNP Yes campaign.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
No. Referendum's rarely exercise the important issues involved. They are vulnerable to spin and seductive rhetoric. Simply see the SNP Yes campaign.
It was rejected in the end.
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mmm778899)
No, it's ignorant to brand all refugees and migrants as monsters because of the actions of a tiny minority.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (112)
19.24%
Labour (296)
50.86%
Liberal Democrats (75)
12.89%
Green Party (30)
5.15%
Brexit Party (7)
1.2%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.52%
SNP (13)
2.23%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.03%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)