Turn on thread page Beta

Where to look for work experience? (16 year old and interested in science) watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I decided to put it in here.

    I need to find one or two work experience placements for the two weeks following my last GCSE exam (i.e. in early July I believe). However, I have no idea where to find a placement?

    Just so you know, I am a 16year-old girl with an interest in science (particularly Biology) with no idea what I'd like to do in the future. I think I will be taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths next year for my AS levels but I'm also contemplating doing Geography instead of one of those options. I've been predicted A*'s in my GCSE's and I would quite like to find a science based work experience placement.

    Any information, advice, website adresses, etc. will gratefully received.


    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Roughly, where are you based? Are you interested in any particular branch of science? IE, medicine?
    • Thread Starter

    Tiger Rag I am based in South Wales and I'm really not too sure yet as - although I have been to various career talks - nothing has really sprung out to me yet so I'm keeping an open mind and am prepared to give anything a go really.

    However, I'm more interested in the research side of things as I don't think I would like to be a doctor or a vet. But of course I am still interested in medical research and I think that this may be something I would be interested in pursuing in the future.

    A few people have advised me to go into engineering but from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure whether I'd be interested in it. Having said this, I don't really know much about engineering so perhaps it may be worth doing some work experience in this field before I completely rule it out.

    As I have two weeks to do work experience, I can either stay in one place for the duration of the two weeks or go to another place in the second week. I don't necessarily have to do my work experience in that two week period either - I can do it an another time during the summer holidays and I could also possibly do it for more than two weeks too if necessary.

    Thanks for you help
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.