The Student Room Group

Where to look for work experience? (16 year old and interested in science)

Hi I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I decided to put it in here.

I need to find one or two work experience placements for the two weeks following my last GCSE exam (i.e. in early July I believe). However, I have no idea where to find a placement?

Just so you know, I am a 16year-old girl with an interest in science (particularly Biology) with no idea what I'd like to do in the future. I think I will be taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths next year for my AS levels but I'm also contemplating doing Geography instead of one of those options. I've been predicted A*'s in my GCSE's and I would quite like to find a science based work experience placement.

Any information, advice, website adresses, etc. will gratefully received.

Thanks,

nettogrof :smile:
Roughly, where are you based? Are you interested in any particular branch of science? IE, medicine?
Reply 2
@Tiger Rag I am based in South Wales and I'm really not too sure yet as - although I have been to various career talks - nothing has really sprung out to me yet so I'm keeping an open mind and am prepared to give anything a go really.

However, I'm more interested in the research side of things as I don't think I would like to be a doctor or a vet. But of course I am still interested in medical research and I think that this may be something I would be interested in pursuing in the future.

A few people have advised me to go into engineering but from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure whether I'd be interested in it. Having said this, I don't really know much about engineering so perhaps it may be worth doing some work experience in this field before I completely rule it out.

As I have two weeks to do work experience, I can either stay in one place for the duration of the two weeks or go to another place in the second week. I don't necessarily have to do my work experience in that two week period either - I can do it an another time during the summer holidays and I could also possibly do it for more than two weeks too if necessary.

Thanks for you help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest